Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 17:37   #1

Boat: 1989 Ericson 38-00
Island Packet 35 - Right boat for Vancouver area?

I am currently looking to purchase an Island Packet 35 to eventually bring her home to the Vancouver / Sunshine coast area as a coastal cruiser and possibly make a crossing or two. I am drawn to this boat for a number of reasons; mainly it's build quality and full keel design with good ballast ratio. Here is the issue, I am only seeing them available on the USA East Coast or Florida (Caribbean area) and not along the Pacific NW - WHY? Is there something obvious that I am missing? One thing I have noticed is that they don't have a diesel heater but that can be added, right? Any suggestions on a more approprite boat for the described area / purpose?
Joe
JoeRuncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 17:54   #2

Re: Island Packet 35 - Right boat for Vancouver area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRuncer View Post
I am currently looking to purchase an Island Packet 35 to eventually bring her home to the Vancouver / Sunshine coast area as a coastal cruiser and possibly make a crossing or two. I am drawn to this boat for a number of reasons; mainly it's build quality and full keel design with good ballast ratio. Here is the issue, I am only seeing them available on the USA East Coast or Florida (Caribbean area) and not along the Pacific NW - WHY? Is there something obvious that I am missing? One thing I have noticed is that they don't have a diesel heater but that can be added, right? Any suggestions on a more approprite boat for the described area / purpose?
Joe
I have sailed all the Island Packets and owned a 44. The 35 ids the worst sailing model. Very doggy and slow-mostly a motorsailor that kind of looks like a sailboat.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 17:56   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

They're made on the east coast, that's why they're more popular there. By crossing do you mean the Pacific or from the mainland to the island?
Espar heater can be added.
A pilot house sailboat is a good alternative for your slightly damp climate, although I didn't use the inside station as much as I thought I would sailing in that area. Almost any popular similar length production boat will suffice with your intended use, IMHO. Unless you meant Pacific crossings where the island packet or a longer (bigger) production boat would be more appropriate. Once again, IMHO.

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 18:24   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Now I haven't sailed one, but is the IP your only preference? If you are in that style and size range, you might look into the Cape Dory 36 also.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 19:33   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I have sailed all the Island Packets and owned a 44. The 35 ids the worst sailing model. Very doggy and slow-mostly a motorsailor that kind of looks like a sailboat.
This is untrue. I owned and sailed/cruised an IP35 for six years. It sails very well off the wind and is a fantastic boat for broad or deep reaching, in particular with 18-20kts of wind. Her hull speed is near 8kts, and in the right conditions she will flirt with it. She will not go to windward well at all, and her chainplate design and construction is garbage. Mine dismasted while close-reached in 25kts of wind due to crevice corrosion in fwd starboard chainplate. They're glassed to the hull's interior and can only be inspected by xray or by cutting out liners and cabinetry and then cutting the plates themselves out of the fiberglass. Get a Pacific Seacraft or a Cabo Rico.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 19:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

The IP is a niche boat with its niche being the east coast and Florida. I think they were made for there and preform great in shallow areas and the winds that predominate there. The Sunshine coast does not have the shallows, and you will be motoring alot. If you want to get outside and go down the West Coast of BC and the US, I would get a boat that was designed to do that. I got a Valiant and have never looked back. (I sailed lots of IP's before making that decision)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:11   #7

Boat: 50' CSY Gulfstar

We have a 35' Endurance for sale that was the perfect coastal cruiser for us. We sailed her for 7 years around Vancouver and the Island. She has just undergone a major refit and goes back in the water on Thursday. She may be an option for you based on your specs.

www.theultramarine.weebly.com
portsidecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31   #8

Boat: Island Packet 445

We have an IP445 and absolutely love her! Sure it's not the same as the IP35 but the basic boat construction of IPs is fantastic. While there is a lot of discussion on what makes a true "bluewater" boat few argue that IP's aren't one of them. There are very few IPs on the west coast but you will see them in ports around the world.

There are two Island Packet owners websites that have a ton of information on all models. Before you buy, peruse these sites: Official Island Packet Yacht Owners Association - Welcome to Island Packet Yacht Owners Assoc, The REAL Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners & IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998 If there are any issues that are inherent to a specific model or year, they will very likely turn up on those sites.

We bought our boat on the east coast because that's where the vast majority of IPs were sold. It was expensive to truck to Washington but worth it to have the boat we wanted.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

If you want to sail, rather than motor, I'd get the fastest boat you can find (that can still be setup comfortable enough for cruising). I've seen a few IPs in Seattle and they're nice looking boats, but I haven't heard of them being fast under sail (for starters, the former owner above, Lowcountry, said they don't go to windward well - that would be a dealbreaker for me).

In the PNW we go to windward all the time, and sail in 4-10 knots of wind very regularly. There's a saying that the wind is always on the nose, going up, and coming back. That's a bit of an exaggeration (or only if you have really bad luck). But most cruisers here simply don't sail much, however it's definitely possible to sail the majority of your mileage if you prioritize it. I figure if you're not going to sail, then a trawler is much better for the PNW.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would agree that an IP is sort of optimized for shallow water and that may come at a price if you have no need for a boat than can be run aground in sand with little harm.
You don't inspect an IP's chainplates, you replace them due to the work required to inspect is so extensive it makes no sense not to, and I would assume any IP from that era is due for chainplates being replaced, it's a 10 grand turn key job to have it done, so factor 10K into the price of the boat.

Good news is the new ones will be better than the ones coming out, and should last longer, my guess is at least 30 years if kept up with, longer than I will need them to.

If I lived where you do, I believe I would want a pilot house, cause the only thing I hate worse than cold, is wet cold.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:36   #11

Boat: ODAY 28

never owned on but worked on a friends, it is a very well built boat and is very roomy, the only thing I hated was replacing the raw water impeller
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:51   #12

Boat: 1989 Ericson 38-00

I looked at your refit - looks pretty darn beautiful! I think we should talk.
JoeRuncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:56   #13

I sailed my IP everywhere PNW from Seattle to Bella Bella , around Vancouver Island and everywhere in between...great reliable boat.

From my observations most cruisers in PNW never go to weather unless doing a day sail...most just motor everywhere no matter what the wind is doing.

IP chain plates was changed to 316 stainless in I think 1999 so after that year should be fine. Actually if the bedding around the chain plates are serviced as per the manual there would never be any problem there but most owners never check till they get a leak inside.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01   #14

OP - have you done ANY sailing in the Salish Sea? Think about what typical conditions are in these waters.

The question is RARELY "Is this boat appropriate for these waters" The question is ALWAYS: "Is this boat appropriate for ME?". In other words: Do you like the boat, can you live with 'er foibles? That's why boats are referred to in the feminine gender.

If you can live with a boat she is, ipso facto, "the right boat" for any water.

The waters around Vancouver are not much more than a glorified bathtub. Rarely is the weather really hard, and if it is, there are plenty of places where you can duck in for shelter. Passage time from Eagle Harbour to Porlier Pass is only six hours, From Eagle Harbour to Secret Cove about the same. If you see the weather coming in from the west, you can, generally, be in snug harbour before the first puff can hit you.

August afternoons in the middle of Georgia Strait are often totally devoid of wind.

From Seattle to Powell River the "Salish Sea" is LITTERED with good boats for sale, so why look elsewhere? I see a forum member has an Endurance for sale locally. The Endurance is big sister to TrentePieds. So why not look at her?

The Endurance is EMINENTLY livable. Sturdy. Easy to sail. A good "beginner boat" if you insist on learning on a "big" boat. Moderately priced. She deserves a look.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:02   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

BTW, you may want to check with these folks too...
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Island Packet Rats
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet