Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 10:34   #1

Question Island Packet 35 or 38 owners honest opinions.

Hello. The Wife and I have been boat hunting for well over a year. I started sailing back in the 80s. We live in Southern California. Weather is very mild most of the time. I had a broker tell me last weekend that the IPs are very over priced for what they are. I no they are a great blue water boat, built very nice as well. I just dont see any sailing around in
San Diego. I herd they do not sail to weather well at all and are very slow going. My Wife and I love the IPs but, I dont want to be running the engines all the time. We will be coastal cruising for the next 8 years at least. Thanks for your time.
RatHatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:48   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Island Packet 35 or 38 owners honest opinions.

Rat
A good way to get feel for the relative sailing performance between boats is to look at the PHRF ratings of each. You can get these here: http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...er+19+2011.pdf
Looks like the IP38 rates between 165 and 177. Bigger numbers are slower. Compare this to a boat you might be familiar with. That is a pretty slow rating for a boat this size. It won't go well in light air and will use the diesel in San Diego.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:00   #3

Thanks for the info Paul. Looks like we may just end up with a fin keeler. But what boat? It has to be safe and handle some weather if it should come up. We are not into Bens or Jens. I have sailed them both. Maybe a Catalina 38' or 40' Hard to invest that much money into a mass production boat. Even when they are used.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:08   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Rat,
The age old question -- only you can answer it. Personally, if I lived in SD I would want a light air boat and one that motored well. That way you can do the 70 miles to Catalina under power when you want to just get there, and you can sail when others have to motor. It depends of course a lot on what your plans are. I certainly would not recommend an Island Packet if you aren't planning on extended cruising.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:43   #5

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Charbonneau is an IP 40...not exactly what you specified but very similar performance wise. I generally agree with the earlier posts. If the wind is around 10 kts, I get 3kts forward and since I'm normally in a hurry the engine is running. BUT...when it's blowing 12, like Cap'n Ron..."she's got the wind!"...and at 20 kts in a beam reach, I'm under full canvas heeling around 10 - 15 degrees and moving at 8 +....yes!!!

When many are heading for cover, Charbonneau is in the groove! So definitely, the IP excels as an open water cruiser and might not be the best choice for smaller inland lakes or puttering on the ICW.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Rat,
The age old question -- only you can answer it. Personally, if I lived in SD I would want a light air boat and one that motored well. That way you can do the 70 miles to Catalina under power when you want to just get there, and you can sail when others have to motor. It depends of course a lot on what your plans are. I certainly would not recommend an Island Packet if you aren't planning on extended cruising.
I will agree with you on that. Yes, we will be cruising all the channel Islands and are planning the Baja HaHa as well. Great point Paul. I should be looking at boats that motor good as well. Buying our first boat is harder than buying our first home. No hurries. More time to save cash and charter. Now I no why none of these very expensive IPs have been selling here in SD. I still love the cutter rigged boat, but I guess it took me a couple posts on different forums to keep getting the same opinions. Its just not the boat for us right now. If I lived up in Northern California that would be a different story. Thanks again for your time guys.
Old 31-07-2012, 12:13   #7

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have an IP 38, love it well built quality boat but meant for cruising. Was out in 6 knot wind and went 3 so that may give you an idea of speed. Likes about 10 knots of wind to sail really well though.

It all depends on what you want every boat is a compromise
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:12   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380

We sail an IP 380 on the east coast. She is a very comfortable, very well built boat. She doesn't go very fast in light winds, but when you get over 10- 15 kn she wakes right up. She loves 20 to 25 k. Other boats will be healed over with the admiral hanging on screaming to reef, while the IP stands up and and gets the bone in her teeth. I sailed with a Hinkley in 20 k on a broad reach and he struggled to keep up. I live on my boat and am very comfortable with the room and storage. The confidence I have in her to see me through the rough times more that makes for the slow performance in winds less than 10 k.
j dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 19:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dragon View Post
We sail an IP 380 on the east coast. She is a very comfortable, very well built boat. She doesn't go very fast in light winds, but when you get over 10- 15 kn she wakes right up. She loves 20 to 25 k. Other boats will be healed over with the admiral hanging on screaming to reef, while the IP stands up and and gets the bone in her teeth. I sailed with a Hinkley in 20 k on a broad reach and he struggled to keep up. I live on my boat and am very comfortable with the room and storage. The confidence I have in her to see me through the rough times more that makes for the slow performance in winds less than 10 k.
That is why the Wife and I have been going back again and again looking at IPs. I no they are a great boat. We just hardly ever get wind over 10 knots. I want to sail not crawl
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Get a boat that fits your needs for now and for the next few years. Not for 2-5 years from now. Having said that we almost bought an IP 38 instead of our cat. Those things are tanks! And most of the time the wind is never right anyhow so you motor/ motorsail anyhow
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:24   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

I had an IP40 for about five years. It was a fantastic boat for the Caribbean. Stood up and sailed very well in the trade winds, was well ventilated for the tropics, roomy and comfortable, and had the room for our liveaboard gear and stores.

Having said that, I'll agree with others that it's not a light air boat that's going to ghost along at 4 knots in 6-7k of wind.

We sailed her about 12k miles in all, lived aboard full time for 3.5 years, and it still looked like a new boat when we finally cleared customs in Key West. The boat was under contract (sold) in less than a week of returning to the US.

Other than light air performance, it's a great American made product.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Cruzer View Post
I had an IP40 for about five years. It was a fantastic boat for the Caribbean. Stood up and sailed very well in the trade winds, was well ventilated for the tropics, roomy and comfortable, and had the room for our liveaboard gear and stores.

Having said that, I'll agree with others that it's not a light air boat that's going to ghost along at 4 knots in 6-7k of wind.

We sailed her about 12k miles in all, lived aboard full time for 3.5 years, and it still looked like a new boat when we finally cleared customs in Key West. The boat was under contract (sold) in less than a week of returning to the US.

Other than light air performance, it's a great American made product.
6-8k of wind is the norm around here. I like the IP SP cruiser as well. Just not in our budget. Thanks again for all the feed back guys.
Old 01-08-2012, 13:26   #13

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

My boat is GREAT for the 6-7k winds! I am out sailing away while everyone else has their motors on. And with the 150% genny...it can be on 5k side and I will move along. Now on the other side of that coin....during a good blow (15-20) I am usually the guy running for cover....even more so when the wind is blowing against the current.

Would I trade it for a heavier displaced boat? Yeah. I say this because the diesel I would use to motorsail isn't going to be enough worry to keep the bow in the wave instead of on top of it. But over here we have this phenom called the Chesapeake Chop, and heavier boats to better in it.

So...you should look at what you trade when you get that 'light wind' boat.

I have the same feelings about mass produced boats, but so far my favorite balance between displacement and sail performance has been in a '91 Catalina 36. Good sail to move to wind in a light breeze and heavy enough to 'stick' to the water.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 13:52   #14

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

IP's a great cruiser with the breeze, and plenty of it, abeam. I sailed a smaller one, 32', about a thousand miles. Doesn't point well (tacked through about 95' apparent), and in light air it's a joke. Also, with the breeze and seas off the stern quarter, it yawed a lot even with all of our efforts to balance it and auto pilot wore down a battery in <5 hours. How about a Sabre or a Caliber? Both American made and both hi-Q hardware.
Old 02-08-2012, 17:55   #15

Walking the docks again this weekend. Going to check out a Swan.