Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55   #16

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Moreau View Post
The V Berth would be storage and storage only, although we would choose some kind of removal storage system in case we want to reuse the V Berth.
Remember that adding weight up front will have an affect on your boats behavior in swell (typically encouraging "hobby horsing").

Also note that Lin and Larry gained a LOT of extra space through not having a motor. If you watch their videos you'll see that what is normally an engine room provides them with a great sail locker, tool area, workshop and shower.

The IP32 seems like a great boat though and I've been totally impressed by the quality levels on those that I've seen.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 12:44   #17

Boat: ISLAND PACKET 32
An IP would be a good choice, but as you look, try to look at the internal, completely glassed over chain plates. Look too at the ports, being only screwed into the cabin sides. Complete absence of through bolting the outer flange and the port itself. Imagine a rogue wave slamming into your cabin side...hopefully your ports will still be intact. Look too at the internal cabin bulwarks and how well they ate affixed to the cabin roof and side decks.
My feeling is that while they are a popular boat for cruising, do they have the integrity for world cruising?
tiquelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:11   #18

Boat: Island Packet 31
Re: Island Packet 32 - Perfect Compromise?

Did you ever decide on a boat? I have an Island Packet 31. Cruised for 6 months with wife and daughter. Found the boat very comfortable and forgiving. While some cruisers may spend time below only for sleeping, that was not the case for us. Waiting at anchor for weather windows, cooking, just being lazy on cold or rainy days, etc. meant we did spend time below doing things other than sleeping. I was very happy to have the extra volume that the IP provides. If you can find an IP 35 for a good price, that would definitely be a nice option, too. Happy voyages.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:16   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

True or false:

"Under Sail

Like the catboat, the Island Packet 31 is not renowned for her windward performance. Not unexpected with her unusual volume distribution and large wetted surface area. However, thanks to her short bowsprit she can carry a decent amount of sail and with her long waterline she’s apparently capable of reaching at 6 knots. She’s well balanced with good directional stability but not very responsive. Owner’s report that she’s easy to single hand and is stiff enough to carry maximum sail in up to 20 knots. Light air performance is disappointing. Other owners report an unpleasant slow rolling motion under sail, particularly in chop, thanks to her large roll angles."
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:38   #20

Seems to reflect our experience. Will not point to wind as well as some, but tracks very well off the wind. Relatively slow in under under 8 knots of wind. We have a cutter rig that helps things along. We just cruise, don't race around buoys, but definitely can do 6 knots. She does carry full sails much longer than other boats of comparable length. Loves 10 - 15 knots of wind and we continue to play comfortably in higher winds when others are headed in for the day. Easy to sail. Not sure what to make of the 'unpleasant slow rolling'. Have been in 4-6 ft seas that were pretty choppy and we certainly moved with the seas, but might prefer the slower roll to a faster jerk?
Old 05-04-2011, 15:43   #21
cruiser

I keep going back and forth on the IP 31. I guess I find the IP interiors a bit strange, and the barn door/vane rudder a concern for flotsam or lobster pots. Maybe its a fine boat for the island waters, but concerned that she might not be well advised for a circumnavigation. Did I mention the cockpit size and companionway?

anyway, interested in 31 owners opinions.
Old 05-04-2011, 15:48   #22

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

If the 31 is like the 35, then the rudder is fairly well protected. There is a strap of iron between the trailing edge of the keel and the leading edge of the rudder that serves to protect the rudder from things like flotsam and crab pots. The rudders on IP boats are certainly better protected than many other boats out there going around.
As for the interiors, I have been on numerous 38-40 foot boats that were not nearly as roomy and comfortable as my 35 is. I think about the only boat in this size range that I would trade mine for would be a Hans Christian 38, but only because those are pure sex and everyone knows it.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:51   #23

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I should also add that if I were to circumnavigate, I would want a boat which could be made completely water-tight in case of capsize. That means the cockpit lazarette, the helm seat (which opens to expose the steering gear) and the companionway door on Island Packets would require some water-proofing. Other than that, they are rock-solid boats (in my own personal experience).
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:54   #24
cruiser

What concerns me about the rudder is the amount of horizontal empty space between rudder and keel, and the dependency of only a single pintle on the end of the rudder attached to a very long strap of metal attached to the hull. Doesnt take much mindset to imagine it becoming undone.

The interior - not the space...god knows I have concidered cat ketches as an alternative. Its the way its experimentally been changed over the years in strange ways, like privacy curtains acting as cabins, and strange holes that lead to knowhere
Old 05-04-2011, 15:56   #25
cruiser

yes exactly about the door - no bridge deck; large pit etc.

Not wanting any centerboard either

Still I keep pondering
Old 05-04-2011, 18:11   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

look at a caliber 33. also a heavy cruiser made for water sailing">blue water sailing with good build quality but sails circles around the IP 32. My wife and I are in our 6th month of a caribbean cruise and we still like each other! kind of tight with visitors but doable for short periods. The longer we are out the more crap we are jettisoning. And you really dont need to carry tons of food except on long passages (which wont be most of the time). The people who live here actually do eat food and will be happy to sell you some!
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:22   #27
cruiser

Caliber is a nice nice boat. good choice!

concerning the IP rudder...perhaps its fine. Many power boats have same contraption. Not used to it shape. Maybe the rudder post is fine
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05   #28

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What concerns me about the rudder is the amount of horizontal empty space between rudder and keel, and the dependency of only a single pintle on the end of the rudder attached to a very long strap of metal attached to the hull. Doesnt take much mindset to imagine it becoming undone.
Yes, but that space likely makes the boat easier to handle in reverse.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:13   #29

Concerning the IP rudder, we traveled the west coast of Florida (50 bazillion crap traps) and never picked up anything. The rudder strap seems to keep things out and maybe provide a little stability. It does not support the weight of the rudder, that happens at the other end. I view the strap as a safety item for protecting the rudder and prop from fouling and for saving the rudder in case of a catastropic failure on the other end of the rudder shaft.

I hear people say you don't need interior space (disagree) because you only sleep below. You also need a small cockpit for saftey. So, where do you plan to live? The best part of our travels has been the wonder people we met. Have a space to invite them aboard.

The are many good boats in the low 30 ft range. The IPs, Caliber, Pacific Sea Craft, and others have all done a lot of traveling.
Choose one and get going!
Old 02-01-2016, 18:23   #30

Hello. I am currently living aboard a pearson 34, which I really like. A few weeks ago a friend invited for a sail on his IP 32 and I have to tell you I was really impressed with the amount of interior space,quite a bit more than my Pearson. What really impressed me was the vessels sailing ability in 20 knt. Sustained and gusting around 28. The IP was really stiff and the steering was effortless!!! I will be looking to buy a IP32 or 35 in the near future. Really like the Pullman berth, way nicer the traditional V berth. Good sailing to ya!

vodoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet