Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 18:17   #1

Boat: 16 foot daysailer....named Jolly Mon
Island Packet 27

Hello,

We have been looking for our first sailboat to buy for quite a few months now and have had some issues. We are now looking at an Island Packet 27. I love the boat. We have never sailed one(have sailed other boats this size, but are very different boats.). We have sailed a CAL 28, a Sabre 28. and a few other bigger boats. Anyway....for anyone out there sailing Island Packets, we would love to hear from you. My husband is afraid it is going to be slow and choppy, and act like a big tub. We do plan on a sea trial, but really would like to take away the expense of a survey and rigging the boat(its on the hard). Just would like some opinions please.

We aren't racers. We plan to spend weekends on the boat and go out for day sails, on the coast of Maine.

Thanks
Alice
grasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 18:52   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Island Packet 27

I sailed a 27 across the gulf from Galveston to Mexico and back
LOVED her!!

Pros
Sails very well, big boat feel, solid, didn't get thrown around.

I 'hove to' her in the middle of the gulf and she settled in real nice even in a choppy gulf sea. We were alongside another boat giving aid to a broken engine. The other boat was a well named offshore pocket cruiser( who shall remain nameless to not hurt feelings) anyways, the IP was very comfy, while the other poor boat was slapping her spreaders in the water, maybe they didn't know how to properly hove to, but I was so glad to be aboard the IP, they all looked pretty green

Cons
Very beamy and roomy ( which is a pro too) but can be a bit dangerous in heavy weather down below due to not enough handrails to get you forward safely, the ceiling handrails on a tack can feel like monkey bars. So easy fix is to add more hand rails

She has her own way of sailing, don't let anyone tell you she sails sloggy, they just didn't find her sweet spot sail configuration. For me it took 6 days of offshore sailing in funky conditions ( fighting her the whole time) before I finally found what she likes, then she lifted a good foot out of the water and flew!

IMHO, good choice.
Erika

Ps
The boat was named The Golden Skip 27 ft, can't remember the year
Old 13-08-2011, 19:02   #3

Boat: 16 foot daysailer....named Jolly Mon

Hello Erika,

Thanks so much for answering me. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions? Was the boat you sailed on a a cutter rig? Most of the IP 27's that we are seeing are cutter rigged, but they one we are looking is a sloop. I prefer just the sloop, but not sure how the boat will handle rigged like that. Just thought I would ask. I really love this boat, so thanks so much for answering.

Alice
grasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 19:29   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Howdy from Texas
Yes she was cutter and I used the staysail a lot, especially in light wind and rough conditions. A double reefer main with the staysail and Yankee was her favorite combo for that trip. I used the staysail to hove to but im sure the yankee would do just as well. hopefully other IP27 will speak up about sloop rig.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44   #5

please tell me dear captains.I'm interested in what the real in fact the ceiling height on the island packet 27, my height is 6.1,I think it's important that would not hit my head,and go crouching, mainly from the galley and main saloon,a folding table.please tell me this boat will be comfortable for the height of the ceiling, and will be very uncomfortable because of the height of the ceiling? how much actual height,has anyone measured it,or maybe you, too, 6.1,and you first-person can tell you everything...I really like this boat and I really want it,know it and travel,but there is no way in the real world to see her and to check all details interested in me..thank you for your answers and guidance.God bless you
konstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:45   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

According to the IP27 brochure, the cabin headroom is 6'2", so you've got an inch to spare.

Lots of info on IPs on the IP Homeport website. Here's a link to the IP 27 brochure.

http://www.iphomeport.com/forum/file...chure_IP27.PDF
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

IP boats are not racers. But not being a racer does not mean a boat is a tub.

I talked to a handful of IP owners in the Caribbean and everyone spoke very highly of their boat.

Hence IP must be the right stuff.

If you like one, I think you will be happy in one. You should always buy a boat that you love.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:57   #8

Yes, I read the brochure,there is a 6.2 stated but how true this is in practice,where it is 6.2..on this personal experience of the owners would be accurate for me..thank you for the link
konstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39   #9

Hello I own a 485 and love her.

There are two good IP forums, well worth a look. Long story I think why they have been run seperately in the past.

I dont know the 27 well, but the general consensus of IPs generally is amazing sea boats, comfortable and roomy, not as fast as traditional fin keels and will not point as well. That is all true. The 485 is pretty quick anyway because of her size, but similiar fin keels are quicker, especially in light winds. I take the view that if you are cruising does a x% speed difference make all that much difference if you are not sailing to a schedule?

Generally everyone agrees they are very well built and stand the test of time really well. As with most yachts each model has its own issues and this is where the dedicated forums can be very useful. For example chain plates are unfortunatley an issue with many IP models, but relatively easy to rectify.

If you go ahead I hope you love her as much as I love my 485.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well my 38 may be a little slow in light winds, but definitely not choppy, and not a tub, and let the wind get up and she does more than hold her own surprisingly.
But I have never sailed on a real performing boat, so it may be ignorant bliss. The IP's as a whole come into their own when others are struggling and going in cause the weather is too rough, but they are not light wind boats. Mine at least motor sails wonderfully at 6 kts in 6 kts of wind and the motor at 1000 RPM. Motor alone gives 3 kts at 1000 RPM.
While not a motor sailer, truth is when wind is 8 kts or less, I crank the thing as at 1000 RPM fuel burn is nearly nothing as in I guess maybe 3 hrs per gl? But I have not measured it. It's that or wallow around going no where in light wind.
I believe the little IP's come into their own Gunkholeing and are excellent weekend type of boats, I think the tanks and chain plates are very difficult to replace, I know they are in the bigger IP's.
I have been told several times that they sail differently than most boats, I am not a true sailer so I don't know what that means. I do know that once you get the sails balanced she will sail forever in a straight line, and she seems to sail fastest when she is relatively flat. Get enough canvas up to get her heeled over to 20 degrees or more and she is slower than if you reef back and let her stand up, more comfortable too.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 13:00   #11

Yes, on the wind too much sail will achieve less than in most yachts, off the wind carry as much as you are brave enough to do. We had everything flying in 35 knots down wind recently which was fun rarely seeing less than 9 knots.

Sails much better with the staysail that not which balances the slot and the boat really well. Rig is bullet proof, well as bullet proof as it can be.

A clean bottom helps a lot .
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet