Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 17:08   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Is years out of water bad for a boat?

If you have the time I would strip the bottom back to the gelcoat and put on some epoxy barrier coats then antifoul. The hull is never going to be drier than it is now so it is a good chance to get some osmosis protection. The antifoul should scrape of real easy being so dry. I recommend that to all my customers who purchase boats that have been out of the water for a long time.
As for everything else, I find it is a case by case scenario. If the boat is dry inside then not to much will be wrong. But if it is damp then expect some problem$. I would mainly concentrate on all your seacocks and cutlass bearing. Any other surprises can be fixed in the water.
Thanks
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:11   #17

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Here's a thought - if you have a headsail furler and any kind of backstay tensioner, always leave firm tension on the backstay. It's obvious enough when sailing since you need the forestay under tension for the furler to work, but I had the idea that de-tensioning the backstay (and hence forestay) while away from the boat would conserve the rig somehow.
I learned the hard way when my forestay snapped on the marina (alright - maybe not the hardest way since the marina is where you want to snap a forestay if its gonna happen). It snapped right under the furler drum as a result of metal fatigue caused by the heavy drum and furled sail moving slightly on a loose forestay while unattended. I am sooo glad this didn't happen at sea else we prolly would have lost the entire rig and may have injured or killed crew in the process. As it was, about 80 knots of wind made sure that the flying furler drum smashed out every portlight down the port side, the headsail was shredded and the furler mouldings written off too. Then I dropped the wreckage straight through the forward hatch by accident, working to free it from the masthead - one of those expensive tempered glass hatches too - oof.
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 03:22   #18

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I believe the assumption that a boat that has been sitting on the hard for 5yrs has recieved basic care is a pretty suspect assumption.

Generally once a boat has sat out more than a year, the owner has lost interest and isn't taking care of it. The longer it sits, the more likely there are hidden issues.

The fiberglass itself is likely to be fine. It's the systems and internal wood that may get wet thats more a concern.
Yup, it took me two years before I gave up. Yes again, the interior may suffer more than the outside, and it is harder to rectify!!
Old 25-08-2015, 04:34   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd bet most older boats have spent considerable time on the hard some time in the past.
I bought mine in the water, she looked fine and the wood had new varnish etc. Engine was exceptionally low time, sails were all original and 26 yrs old and in good condition.
Oddly all three tanks vents were clogged with dirt dobber nests, I found out on delivery and the fuel tank had a small amount of something that looked like tofu in it, I figure algae that had been dead a long time and had solidified somehow.
Now I know all these things are good indicators of maybe she spent years on the hard at some time, but the boat has turned out fine, no problems to speak of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water