Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2016, 15:17   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: is this a European wired boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Measure the current. And don't fully trust this to a broker, as most are clueless about boats, sadly.
Just how would measuring the current tell anyone anything? And how would the average boater (especially someone who asks this question on the Internet) accomplish this?

And if he doesn't know how it's wired, where (and how) is he going to plug it in?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 08:35   #17

Thumbs up Re: is this a European wired boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
A lot of good answers here. An additional thing to consider is that the European breaker panel might mean that the boat has been converted to run on US power. Unless the boat was totally rewired there is a risk that some of the original wire was not replaced. That creates a real fire risk as the conversion roughly doubled your amps in all circuits.
You hit the nail on the head, this is exactly my concern. Thanks to the forum I have lots of great information to make a determination. Thank you . Joe

Old 14-10-2016, 10:36   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I dont know about IPs but the normal production boats the actual wire is the same. I.e. They dont put in a different wire grid. Just different bits on the ends.

For peace of mind you might pay for some test, because any test you try yourself wont give you that peace of mind.
Remember if you ask a marine electrician he will tell you to rewire it as he will make thousands. So book one for a test but tell them from the outset, and all the way through, that he will not get an y job from you except for the test he is doing. Then he wont have an ulterior motive

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 17:47   #19
CHM
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Looks like a Blue Seas panel to me. I have a French Beneteau with original receptacles etc and have no issues with 110v. It's pretty easy to look at the wires on the breakers to see if they are appropriate to the application.
Old 15-10-2016, 17:55   #20

Boat: Salona 44

I have now had four European boats. My biggest issue is that most European factories use automotive wire, not tinned marine grade wire to USL standards. I specify USL standard on any new boat. It saves so much grief later on. So my advice is not only get a professional to check the guage of the wire to carry the load, but also the grade of wire.

Tags
Europe, rope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: