Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 15:29   #46

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

WAAAAAA, I don't like how other people choose to sail their boats. They must be ignorant because that's not how I choose to do it. SHEEESH! GET OVER IT!
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:36   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I personally would like to see a change in awareness, and see more boats prepared for heavy weather every time they go out. I'd like to see better sailors, better sailing, and better prepared boats. That is what would please me.
You started an interesting discussion. I find it enlightening to read the various opinions.

I think there could certainly be a more laid-back approach to heavy weather in Mexico than in some other cruising grounds. We do enjoy that easy-going feeling every time we're in the SOC, sailing and otherwise. Yeah the weather can come howling with a big fetch, but sitting behind a taco shack is the best way to endure that, IMO.

It does seem a bit weird that seeing all that "better" behavior would please you. That would be way down my list of pleasing things... but to each his own?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 17:05   #48

Natural selection should take care of it.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 17:11   #49

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

The trend is quite the opposite. Todays cruising boats are much bigger than yesteryears, with cavernous spaces to put gear when on a passage.
They are also lighter per foot with more freeboard, so rarely take green water on deck. We also have weather forecast at our fingertips so little is left to chance.
And yes these boats are coastal sailing in the tropics, not rounding Cape Horn.
More importantly it's a pretty snotty post, none of your business, and noone is going to ask you for advice.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 20:04   #50

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
You started an interesting discussion. I find it enlightening to read the various opinions.

I think there could certainly be a more laid-back approach to heavy weather in Mexico than in some other cruising grounds. We do enjoy that easy-going feeling every time we're in the SOC, sailing and otherwise. Yeah the weather can come howling with a big fetch, but sitting behind a taco shack is the best way to endure that, IMO.

It does seem a bit weird that seeing all that "better" behavior would please you. That would be way down my list of pleasing things... but to each his own?

We sailed from the PNW to Mexico in a Lord Nelson 35, over 2000 miles and as much as 100 miles off the coast.

The biggest seas we saw in over 4 years of that cruise was in the Sea of Cortez on the second day of a Norther. 15 to 20 feet and breaking, eventually from 3 directions as we neared Isla San Francisco from the North. We got pooped a couple of times as we beam and broad reached, but it was 85 degrees and sunny. Hooray for our Monitor !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 21:38   #51
cruiser

We experience some rather nasty windstorms in the Med, so it makes me and apparently the OP wonder how a boat with that much windage and weight placed 11-12 feet up will do in those conditions. I’ve experienced the Bora in Croatia and the Mistrale in Sardinia many times... the winds can suddenly appear without warning. Usually, we’re in an anchorage when it happens.

My guess, is that the boat pictured will get knocked onto it’s side and swamped, or drag anchor and end up on the rocks; and I certainly wouldn’t want to be aboard in an anchorage or watch the show dockside in a marina when it happens.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D32541E5-F757-43F9-97DC-D9C7D298C50D.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	190663  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 23:30   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When crossing an ocean, the outboards can be removed and stowed below in the stern locker, which is what we plan to do, but for coastal or Med cruising, the dinghy is always ready for use off the stern davits, which are only three feet above deck level.... not 7-8 feet above it.
A dingy 3' off the water is a much greater risk compared to one that is 6-8' off the water. Clearly you have a "disturbing" boat design.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 23:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
As for the possibilities you raise, they might be true, but commonly none of those possibilities actually apply.
Unless you are going to provide evidence after the fact about that specific boat...it's actually EXTREMELY COMMON. The vast majority of boats in marinas never even do so much as an overnight passage, so expecting them to be outfitted based on what is needed for 3 week offshore adventure rounding the horn is just silly.
Old 23-04-2019, 03:18   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A dingy 3' off the water is a much greater risk compared to one that is 6-8' off the water. Clearly you have a "disturbing" boat design.
Please read a little more carefully next time prior to commenting, our dinghy sits 3ft above the deck level, not the water level. And the boat pictured with the stainless ladder arch system has it's solar, and paserelle sitting 7-8ft above the deck... hundreds of pounds of stuff way up in the air on a boat weighing in at 10 tons vs our 25 tons.
Old 23-04-2019, 03:22   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Unless you are going to provide evidence after the fact about that specific boat...it's actually EXTREMELY COMMON. The vast majority of boats in marinas never even do so much as an overnight passage, so expecting them to be outfitted based on what is needed for 3 week offshore adventure rounding the horn is just silly.
Boats also sink while tied up in marinas if they're set up poorly.
Old 23-04-2019, 03:24   #56

Quote:
Please read a little more carefully next time prior to commenting, our dinghy sits 3ft above the deck level, not the water level.
So you are complaining about a davit system that leaves the dingy 6-8' above the water when your own boat is roughly the same?
Old 23-04-2019, 03:26   #57

Quote:
Boats also sink while tied up in marinas if they're set up poorly.
Nothing in the video to suggest boats sinking because they had arches... Also didn't see any sinking in the video.

If that video showed anything, it's not to stay in unprotected marinas.
Old 23-04-2019, 03:32   #58
cruiser

Quote:
So you are complaining about a davit system that leaves the dingy 6-8' above the water when your own boat is roughly the same?
Please do the math and look at the pictures provided in earlier posts yourself, and try your best to catch up with the discussion.

Unless you're just trying to be contrary in order to start an argument.
Old 23-04-2019, 03:50   #59

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
We experience some rather nasty windstorms in the Med, so it makes me and apparently the OP wonder how a boat with that much windage and weight placed 11-12 feet up will do in those conditions. I’ve experienced the Bora in Croatia and the Mistrale in Sardinia many times... the winds can suddenly appear without warning. Usually, we’re in an anchorage when it happens.

My guess, is that the boat pictured will get knocked onto it’s side and swamped, or drag anchor and end up on the rocks; and I certainly wouldn’t want to be aboard in an anchorage or watch the show dockside in a marina when it happens.

Impressive winds. Just curious, but what sort of speed do you think the gusts are topping out at? I wonder if that one boat showing bare bimini frames took his canvas down beforehand or had it taken down for him!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 08:23   #60

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I think the "Trend" of packing more toys is real and ubiquitous. Check out the land yachts/RVs on our highways with their trailers, satellite dishes, boats, bicycles, kayaks, ATVs, snow sleds, sea-doos etc. I assume a majority of those people are going for a weekend. I even see families driving two vehicles because they have too many toys for one rig. In the USA, it seems to be a status symbol to display how "active" your family is... so put your toys on display.

I can imagine "real" RV land-cruisers are having this same discussion about highway safety on their forum...