Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 04:10   #31

Boat: Hunter 430
Re: Is There Such a Boat ?

Check out the Hunter 430 from the mid-90's.....the forward head is huge, so taking a shower isn't an issue. All lines lead aft, so single-handed is easy. The aft cabin has a very large bed. It draws just under 5'. I'm 6'4" and it fits me nicely.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 04:53   #32

Boat: Pearson 26

The Caliber 40 or 47 may fit the bill.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:08   #33
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Jd1...do you know how to sail? and how do you plan to use the boat?.
Are you going to cruise, or sail local waters?
Sailing will involve local waters first and gradually expand as I gain more experience.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:23   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jd1--if you are doing internet searches first, try searching for designers over 6 ft 4inches in height. their boats are the most spacious and comfortable and able to accommodate tall and heavy folks.
wm garden
hank mckune
charlie morgan
seidelmann
there are more
then SAIL the boats and see if you can tolerate them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:49   #35

Passport 40 (or even 37?) Floorplan with the head and shower in the forepeak?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:49   #36

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I have looked at a lot of different boats in Yachtworld but have not yet started my "real world" looking. From what I have seen so far, I would have to do a lot of compromising. I thought I would ask the group if there is anything close to the following wish list out there:

Suitable for blue water cruising
Easily handled by a couple with occasional single handing
40 ft or thereabouts, no more than 6 ft draft
I really like big beds ..... I would like a minimum of queen sized (I am used to a king sized bed). This would only be used while stationary so falling out won't be an issue
A large shower stall that a 6 ft 250 lb guy doesn't feel like a sardine in.

Please don't laugh or suggest a power boat ....
I realize that the bed requirement is a tall order but one can dream and I better ask the question before I settle for "normal" sleeping arrangements.
Have a look at this yacht. Without knowing your budget I think this ticks all the boxes. I have the owners email if you would like to contact him direct rather than through the broker. PM me if you would like to have it.

1984 Liberty 458 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:41   #37

Boat: Vagabond 42

The Liberty 458 is the only boat I have ever considered trading my Vagabond 42 for. It would fit your requirements and so would a Vagabond 42. I would rather have one of the older Taiwanese boats because they didn't worry about building light, they just built strong!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:46   #38

Boat: gozzard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have checked out a lot of the boats suggested on Yachtworld and spent many hours searching the forums and I think I have a possible candidate in a Gozzard. I might even be able to go to a 36 ft version, still have a back cockpit (a center cockpit really doesn't turn my crank) and yet have lots of sleeping room. I don't know about shower size but I really like the open plan setup.
Can anyone comment on how a Gozzard 36 handles in real life ?
Having owned a Gozzard 36 they handle quite well. Their 6' bowsprit allows for a lot of sail area. The G37 has a redesigned hull with a semi-balanced rudder and a taller mast.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Have a look at this yacht. Without knowing your budget I think this ticks all the boxes. I have the owners email if you would like to contact him direct rather than through the broker. PM me if you would like to have it.

1984 Liberty 458 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
OMG! I'd sell my house for that one! That is the prettiest mono I think I have ever seen! Those luvered doors, the mill work, marble tops, and the sole....lot's of cleaning and upkeep there, but I can see entertaining on that!!! SO, usually when I see where the price was reduced by 10K it's usually an indication that it's not in my price range..LOL...

What are they asking, do ya know?

Gozzards are beauties too, I remember one that was black and trimed in gold...real eye candy, sorry I wish I did know how they sailed.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:08   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

It's a stout boat. I've sailed in a gale + winds. Likes 25 to 30 knots of wind just fine but does OK with 8. The flexible sail plan allows a lot of options for short handed sailing. Newer 36 's or the 37 are better from a few perspectives with the 37 nicer handling by just a bit. Mostly I like the 36 for just being on board. The protected walkways make going forward safer and the roomy cockpit is nice when not sailing too. The basic interior construction is amazing and the solid hardwood will be in very good shape for Hull 1 if you find it. The head / shower is very roomy and the saloon seats more than most 45 ft boats. This is a huge 36 ft boat. Note with davits the LOA is over 45 ft.

The older boats might be cheaper and affordable. They are worth fixing up because the hulls are quite solid and the interior solid wood. A lot other boats from the mid 80's won't be worth spending anything to fixup. Gozzards hold a lot of value.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:40   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what pblais says --also it has plenty of shower/bath space. you will love the boat. i enjoyed sailing with one in carib a while on back--was a good boat. gozzard/bayfield-- cant go wrong with em. he designs well.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote