Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51   #1

Question Is there a "Consumer Reports" for monohulls?

Hi all,

Is there an independant agency that collects data on the reliability of various sailboat manufacturers?

I'd really like to see some comparisons and ratings, as well as customer comments.

Thanks
coyotewrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No, but Practical Sailor is about as close as it gets.

Reliability? Of hand-built boats? ROFL.

Check out their used boat review books for owner comments.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:07   #3

Boat: Catalina 400
First of all, never trust anything Hello says!! (Smile, just kidding Hello - how are you??). Ask around for the people that own the boats. What better source of information?? Take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. With a few exceptions, people will always tell you that THEIR boat is the finest made yacht, etc., etc, and in the next sentence will see if you want to buy it!!

Sailnet has a forum on specific makes. Poke around there and you will see common problems or issues that people have encountered. If it is a Catalina, we have Mainsheet - a owners magazine with articles and tech writeups specific to each model. Other manufacturers may have similair sources for information?? I don't know. But that is why Catalina makes the finest yacht, and are you intersted in buying my... just kidding!

Hope that helps.

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 11:43   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CD-
A good point, there are the forums. Of course, they're sometimes ungainly and slow as opposed to an edited publication.

"never trust anything Hello says!! "
Not even when I say never to trust anything I say?<G> At the price you folks pay, you can bet I'd not offering any warranties.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46   #5

Thanks hellosailor. Practical Sailor looks like it might have what I'm looking for.

@CD: Good advice. Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 12:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Also understand that the things said in a boat review is for the new version not the 10 year old boat you might be considering. No one can speak to what a boat will be like after it's been owned a long time other than a Surveyor doing a survey on a specific boat. There really is no data to be found about "reliability" that would mean anything significant. It's not a property you could really measure.

As far as sources go I think the owners lists are really the best source. Sure they are going to say nice things, but they also are talking about the problems they face too. It's one of the most common topics at all groups. I think you want to know why people like a certain boat as well as what problems they have at the same time. No one uses their boat the same way and you need to come to terms with how some boats are actually used by the people that own them to find out just what they are really good for and why you might actually like it.

You really don't want an unbiased report (there are none) you want many as biased as possible. I think owners groups give you the best of both sides. They are not served by making up things about the boat they own in front of others that own them too. You get both the good and the bad. There is always some of both.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:36   #7

Good point, Pblais.

I'm very new at this, but my guess is that, due to the high cost of new boats, comparing sailboat manufacturers is like comparing Lexus vs BMW vs Mercedes Benz - all are good, reliable cars.

However, I'll never forget my surprise a few years ago when I saw in CR that Land Rovers and Jeep Cherokees were - at that time - two of the most expensive AND lowest rated SUVs in long-term consumer satisfaction (2+ yrs. ownership). The lesson being to ALWAYS do the research.

Anyway, you've all given me some good places to start. Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40   #8

Coyote,

What are your plans with the boat? Liveaboard? Cruise? Destinations? PUT IN REALITIES, HERE!! Tell us what you would like to do, and you will get some thoughts on boats to consider. Everyone is going to be prejudice... just a word of warning!!!! But most of us are here to help.

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51   #9

@CD - Already did that in another thread
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55   #10

Sorry Coyote, new to this forum... let me see...
Old 02-03-2007, 13:04   #11

No worries, CD

Here's the thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...noob-6883.html