Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 11:51   #76

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352
Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Many may be following Taru and Alex blog; over 40,000 people are.
Btw, sorry, but need to make a little correction: I don't know where you got the 40.000 from, avb3, but we have in fact between 100.000-120.000 unique visitors reading each month, that's around 200.000 visits/page loads monthly.

Here's a screenshot from today showing blog traffic from the last 30 days.
Just to make it all clear so no one gets confused Traffic was a bit slow during Christmas and New Year so we should be back at 120.000 unique visitors/month in just a few weeks.

Old 24-01-2012, 13:55   #77

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Is the market really this bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...I wondered why he would switch the newer HR for an older design. but maybe she was an influence ...
from their blog:

Quote:
It was mainly Alex's idea.. he has for a long time been longing for a project where he can build something with his hands.. a Hallberg Rassy is hard to modify to your personal needs and ideas, it is made the way it is and will always be. Alex will one day build his own boat from scratch so this new Duende is one step closer to that dream as she offers many possibilities for modification.

Also Alex has been frustrated with the speed of Caos. He raced much when he was younger and he wanted a boat that can give him a challenge. For me I was alright with Caos, she's safe, strong, comfortable and ok in size... but I do understand Alex's point of view and Duende is a beauty plus the size and speed appeals to me as well.

Besides of being a great boat, we both see Duende as the perfect home and we can see a long future with her. We don't want to build family with kids for now, but we want to have a home/boat which we can slowly build and rebuild to something that suits our life.. this boat is equal to a house on land for us as we will be sailing around the world for many more years so it is important we both feel happy with it. It is a family project which we value very much. Alex will use all his skills to rebuild/refit this boat to his high standards and he's happier than in a long time. For him it is important to be able to create something. He's an artist and needs to have a fulfilling project to feel satisfaction in life. For me, I love the size of the galley and saloon of course..
Old 24-01-2012, 14:35   #78

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...well there ya go...a noble reason
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 14:53   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the market really this bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
LOL, that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while. Beneteau makes a decent boat. Hallberg Rassy makes an excellent boat. There is really no comparision.
LOL.... yeah... folks say that about Honda and Harley...
and they're right... no comparison...
The Honda blows the Harley away.... and thats just the 250cc vs the FLH.. the Cafe Racer... etc,etc...
Every time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:00   #80

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL.... yeah... folks say that about Honda and Harley...
and they're right... no comparison...
The Honda blows the Harley away.... and thats just the 250cc vs the FLH.. the Cafe Racer... etc,etc...
Every time...

No Beneteau could ever be as bad as a Harley.
Old 24-01-2012, 15:03   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
No Beneteau could ever be as bad as a Harley.
Lmao... you've ridden a Harley then...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2012, 15:07   #82

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lmao... you've ridden a Harley then...

But the status of a Harley
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:12   #83

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Noticed the engine hours are at 5800. That's getting up there for a marine diesel. One might have to add in the cost of a rebuild or repower which may be the reason no one has jumped on this good looking boat.
We sold our previous boat with 5200 hours on the engine. The buyer wasn't the least concerned at that number of engine hours. He expected to get 10,000 hours on that Yanmar engine. And he was no amateur......this was his 11th boat and he was a marine surveryor. He said a Volvo should expect 5,000 hrs but a Yanmar should expect 10,000 hrs if properly maintained.

Even assuming this 1982 HR will need re-powering in the near future, an interested buyer could make a purchase offer with that cost in mind.

Another thought; 35-ft is pretty darn small for a cruising boat these days. I think that is why this boat is being sold....they wanted a larger boat.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:12   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Fine in the States and Oz mate.... but we have bendy roads as well as yachts in Europe...
Harleys don't do bends.... you leave sparks at a 15* lean... as opposed to 65*lean on a real bike...

Old 24-01-2012, 15:31   #85

Are you trying to say that Harleys capsise and Hondas sink
Old 24-01-2012, 15:36   #86

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Right! The people I see riding them are all old grey haired, pony tailed guys trying to relive their youth. Not a pretty sight.
Old 24-01-2012, 15:45   #87

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't think the comparison of a HR to a Harley is really apt. An HR is more like a Moto Guzzi California--comfortable, old school, maybe a bit slower than the latest things, but you'll arrive feeling pretty good and having had a fun trip. Something like an Island Trader is more like a Harley--lots of hokey flash, but not much dash.
Old 24-01-2012, 15:52   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Right! The people I see riding them are all old grey haired, pony tailed guys trying to relive their youth. Not a pretty sight.
LOL.... never had a ponytail.... someone told me whats under them when I was a kid...
But getting back to boats... HR's are nice boats... don't get me wrong...
but they are made for a certain type of sailor... and I'm not one of them...
fortunately for W32/HR/Benni/Macgregor we are not all the same...

Old 24-01-2012, 16:01   #89

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Hey ! I cut off my pony tail ! Nah, Alex and Taru are having the adventure of a lifetime. I wish them well.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:05   #90
Armchair Bucketeer

She looks like a very nice boat .

For me a good indicator of both the overall condition of the entire boat and the attention given by the Vendor is.........the engine / engine compartment. If the reality matches the photos I would give her a gold star .

IMO definately worth a look .

Leaving aside a few minor quibbles on the for sale details, I see a sale has 3 major problems:-

1) 5 foot too small. It might not be what is needed, but it's what the market wants. (for me at 30' and built in 1970 she is both a BIG boat and a youngster ).

2) Financing. Debt is (was) the new money . Older boats harder to finance, nowadays no longer as simple for folks with a dream (and no money!) to sign the dotted line.

3) In the wrong location. Doesn't mean that she is the wrong boat for the Caribbean, but that the market (at that price and above) is focused on more modern vessels (which arguably are better for the style of cruising lifestyle envisaged by most in that area). And that most prospective buyers will not be local to the boat - it costs money to travel. probably looking at a few K simply to view and the cost and aggro of buying away from "home" is not to be ignored - especially when it comes to arms length maintanence or simply care. (it was enough of a PITA for me viewing, buying and then delivering here from the UK mainland ).

The answers(?!):-

1) can't do much about being 5 foot short. Suck it up .

2) for financing, do some leg work on companies who would lend (subject to buyer's circumstances) on an older boat, so can at least point folk in the right direction. and consider financing all or part of the deal (even if only enough so they can borrow the balance from elsewhere). They don't have to be firm proposals / offers - just enough to be able to say "Finance can be arranged", so folks can at least enter into discussions. Obviously some risk involved with owner financing - but that should be reflected in the price ...... and just because your advert says it might happen, don't mean it has to .

3) location, is easily solved - move the boat (and IMO this the most important thing to address, both on price and simply acheiving a sale) Either the Owner does it or engages a delivery skipper - appreciate that will cost a few thousand (or so), It's simply a mountain and Mohammed issue (that's a phrase we don't hear much of anymore ).

failing that, I would state that "relocation can be facilitated" (rather than saying can be done at extra cost) - not committing yourself to actually pay for delivery, that depends on the price negotiations. Can simply be giving them the e-mail address of Boatman61 , or by self / paying for the delivery skipper.

All IMO etc etc and meant to be constructive blah blah blah.

Option 4 is insurance.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote