Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2012, 23:39   #286

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

[QUOTE=speedoo;886310]If you don't already have this book, I can't recommend it strongly enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Caseys-Complet.../dp/0071462848
[QUOTE]

Thanks. I already have some books from Casey and Calder. I think I'm good on books.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 01:39   #287
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Most of my wives were Asian...oh the stories I could tell about that culture!
I think the phrase "most of my wives" probably covers it sufficiently well for those of us who have also experianced that end of the woman curve .

FWIW my marriage score is only 1 from that part of the world. But an interesting learning curve over many years getting to that figure .....as took a while to find an Orphan, who had already fallen out with much of her remaining family .....and who was self supporting financially ............being mad as a Hatter was just a bonus . I put much the same level of consideration into buying my boat

Can't say I would turn down no .2 from over there........but if an afterwards would probably look for a different market once I too can write "most" .

Boats like Women - pick carefully . and consider a thorough "hands on" survey before buying (added in a vague attempt to keep post on topic ).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:27   #288

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

it makes sense that if the property market is down 60% in parts of florida (and spain) then boat prices will drop too.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36   #289

There are some serious bargains out there. I find now that vessels I lusted after just ten years ago are now within reach. Between the market and these boats being ten years older; it's an exciting time to be a buyer.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19   #290
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

It depends "the market" covers alot. In the boat market worse the selling market gets the better the buying market gets. Right now it is a terrific boat market....if you are buying. If your boat is just an extra extravagance in life and your personal economy has gotten to the point where you can't afford it any more than it sucks. Not a good time to sell your boat and buy a bigger boat. It is a good time to spruce up what you've got. One option is to sell your boat for lees than you would like, look around (possibly before) and buy another boat (maybe even a better boat) for a "steal". You might have to travel and/or have the boat shipped. If I had money and time I could make a fortune going to Calif, buying boats cheap, trucking or sailing them up here, selling them cheap/fast and turning around to do the same thing until I had my ideal boat and a nice cruising kitty. I would be helping out people that needed to get rid of boats and getting people into boats cheap as well as getting myself a good boat. There are alot of good deals in Fl and Ca because of the economy and if you are willing to do some work (beware and hire a surveyor here) there are some killer deals compliments of hurricane Sandy.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
It depends "the market" covers alot. In the boat market worse the selling market gets the better the buying market gets. Right now it is a terrific boat market....if you are buying. If your boat is just an extra extravagance in life and your personal economy has gotten to the point where you can't afford it any more than it sucks. Not a good time to sell your boat and buy a bigger boat. It is a good time to spruce up what you've got. One option is to sell your boat for lees than you would like, look around (possibly before) and buy another boat (maybe even a better boat) for a "steal".
The problem is that those who would be willing/capable to buy a bigger boat and keep the market running, cannot sell their old boat. I think that this is especially depressing the market prices of larger boats which are seldom bought by first-time buyers.

But if looking for a bigger and more expensive boat, one could make profitable moves, even if the old boat would be sold at half the price than few years ago. However, few are taking the risk of owning two boats.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:00   #292

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have to ask a question... where can one find these bargains? I don't see a lot of bargains on Yachtworld.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:08   #293

Boat: Able 50

What they ask is rarely what they get.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:18   #294

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I think the used market is getting hammered by floods of excruising boats. It'll get worse before it gets better
Old 11-12-2012, 21:48   #295

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjolain View Post
The problem is that those who would be willing/capable to buy a bigger boat and keep the market running, cannot sell their old boat. I think that this is especially depressing the market prices of larger boats which are seldom bought by first-time buyers.

But if looking for a bigger and more expensive boat, one could make profitable moves, even if the old boat would be sold at half the price than few years ago. However, few are taking the risk of owning two boats.
+1

I think this is the real gist of the problem. Same with real estate. If you can't unload the one you have even at a loss, you can't take advantage of the lower prices on the stepped-up model you'd like.

I've seen several boats I consider if I thought I could unload my Wauquiez for a small loss and within a reasonable time frame.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44   #296
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I have to ask a question... where can one find these bargains? I don't see a lot of bargains on Yachtworld.
The "deals" are not the sort of thing you ever see listed. I live in a boating comunity and (my backyard is a shipyard). You find out about deals and/or where to look for them by word of mouth. Brokers aren't going to tell you about deals...and will insist that they have really good deals (unless your re selling your boat in which case they will try to convince you the slump is gone (but they have this really sweet boat over here they would like to sell you as soon as they can get 10% for selling your boat).
To find a good deal buying and/or selling a boat you have to look really hard....they rarely (but do) jump into your laps, then only because you are already in the right place at the right time.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:10   #297

Boat: Hanse 540e
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
To find a good deal buying and/or selling a boat you have to look really hard....they rarely (but do) jump into your laps, then only because you are already in the right place at the right time.
I was looking last 18 months to move up, and lucky enough was @ the right place @ the right time to buy 5years old bank repo 54 cruiser racer, fully loaded for 40% replacement value.
But you have to be brave to pull the trigger at the right time and have cash in hand :-D Yes, gooddeals are around but you have to be lucky bastard ...
Old 12-12-2012, 14:23   #298
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Guys,
Cant say the market is that bad down under.
In the last 8 years ive brought 4 Yachts and made money on each of them.
Not a lot of money but I've sold for more than paid and brought better.
I see a lot of Overseas boats coming here and being sold cheap after importors realising that they are still importing a cheap boat. The importation costs get them.
Derek
Old 12-12-2012, 15:10   #299

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Hi Guys,
Cant say the market is that bad down under.
You're kidding right?
The market here is being SMASHED

Boats that were in the $700k-$800k category now have a 4 in front of them
50ft Compucraft powercat $445k

Boats that were in the $400k - $500k category now have a 2 in front of them
Schionning Wilderness 46 Cruising Catamaran for Sale $275k

Boats that were in the $200k - $300k category now have a 1 in front of them.
Schionning Cosmos 1100 Sail Cat for Sale $150k
Old 12-12-2012, 15:57   #300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Elan 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
You're kidding right?
The market here is being SMASHED

Boats that were in the $700k-$800k category now have a 4 in front of them
50ft Compucraft powercat $445k

Boats that were in the $400k - $500k category now have a 2 in front of them
Schionning Wilderness 46 Cruising Catamaran for Sale $275k

Boats that were in the $200k - $300k category now have a 1 in front of them.
Schionning Cosmos 1100 Sail Cat for Sale $150k
Hi Cat-man-do,
I hear what your saying but I feel the market has corrected the over inflated prices and with the cheap imports coming in the top end is having to come to the market.
Having said that , I know of some really big prices being paid for top end boats. So I see that there is still big money out there.
I like the type of boats you linked but personally I would steer clear of them as I see the costs rising for these types of vessels.
Our marina just added another 60 odd berths and they have been filled within 8 months and most are big boats 45' - 65' size so there is still boats selling.
Derek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: