Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-02-2012, 20:09   #226
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27
Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

Doesn't look too bad from the bow, but that stern is ugly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	37326   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	37327  

Old 12-02-2012, 20:15   #227

Boat: Looking for a cruiser.. any leads?

I think the market really is that bad, and going to get worse. So who knows, I may be able to afford a decent boat someday after all.

The recent mortgage fraud settlement will clear the way to foreclose on the backlog of people who have been spending their discretionary money into the economy instead of paying their mortgage. They will have to find somewhere else to live, and their house will be added to the 30~50 years worth of inventory currently on the market.

Also, if the Baltic Dry index is any indicator (it did dive right before the crash in '08), then we are again in economic "freefall".

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-...market-decline

Another ominous clue is retail gasoline deliveries.. look at that "gap" downward at the end of the chart. Historic lows. The only reason the price is going up, is because of the situation in the middle east, and the devaluation of the USD as a reserve currency.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-...mption-tanking

Old 12-02-2012, 20:25   #228

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Doesn't look too bad from the bow, but that stern is ugly!
I would guess that the aft cabin and wheelhouse were home built. This boat would suit a permanently parked liveaboard. Lots of room.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:29   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
I am looking for a seaworthy boat that I can single hand and also use as a liveaboard. I intend to sail her down to the Caribbean where I will cruise for a while before heading to the South Pacific.
Because maintenance cost go up exponentially with boat size, I am looking for something between 27 feet and 33 feet. I looked at Dana 24's, Island Packet 27/29 and 31's. I have also looked at Pacific Seacraft 31. As for older boats, I have looked at a 1961 Rhodes Chesapeake 32, a 1985 PS Mariah 31, a 1989 Com-Pac 27 and a few Hunters. I ruled out Hunters because they are absolutely not what I would consider seaworthy and the Com-Pac 27, while decently built, are not very seaworthy either. I have traveled hundreds of miles several times to look at boats and will eventually find one that "grabs my heart".
As for prices, check out yachtworld and get a glimpse of what people want for boats. For higher prices, check out Sailboatlistings. You will be surprised.
OK so you are looking for a smaller blue water boat than you can liveaboard. That is not at all unusual, but I think you can easily cast a much wider net without compromising your objective at all. A few names that come to mind are Caliber, Contessa and Cape Dory. Maybe some of the Pearsons as well. And I think most if not all of the french-built boats will meet your needs... Dufour, Jenneau, Beneteau all have solid blue water capable boats that can be bought in your size range for much less than the IP prices you are looking at, and leave you some funds for upgrading the rig if necessary, new sails, maybe an engine rebuild or repower and off you go.

I see no reason to limit your search to the IP's, etc. Those manufacturers have succesfully marketed their boats as blue water capable, but that does not mean you should exclude other boats that are just as capable of what you are looking for.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:33   #230
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Notpopeye

Search in your budget with an open mind - there is a large selection for sale. Allow 20% or so for upgrades to any older boat.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:34   #231

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Jeez, the charity www.crabsailing.org has some well founded boats, liveaboard capable and you support a great cause all for under 3k. They got a Bristol24 , and a Dufour25, and a couple Pearsons26's.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:36   #232

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Dont mind sharing info now that I bought mine!
Old 12-02-2012, 20:38   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcwsj View Post
Yea that pricing is off by an order of magnitude. Probably a typo or someone is seriously nuts. For that kind of money you could get a very lightly used Hinckley or almost new HR in the same size range.
Love the peg board cupboards above the sink... classy.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:51   #234

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Sailingfool-

I have noticed a lot of boats in the Portland area that have high prices. But they have been sitting unsold for years. I have also seen some good cruising boats go for attractive prices in the last year. A Hans Christian 38 in very good condition, moored near me, went for under $70k last year. It had been asking $120k or so for more than a year, but then the owner got serious and dropped the price. It went in less than 2 weeks for an even lower price. Timing is everything.

Since you describe yourself as a novice, I have to ask why you are looking at a 47' boat? That is quite a handful for a beginner. It is at the high end of cruising boat sizes, and isn't at all necessary for cruising. I won't argue that you should go as small as my Carina, but something in the 38' - 42' is ample - particularly for a starter boat. You can certainly get a good cruising boat in that range for under $150k, if you don't need a flashy modern boat.
Old 12-02-2012, 22:19   #235

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Love the peg board cupboards above the sink... classy.
That's why its listed at over $500K! You just can't get that in a production boat.
Old 12-02-2012, 22:27   #236

Wink Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Sailingfool-

Since you describe yourself as a novice, I have to ask why you are looking at a 47' boat? That is quite a handful for a beginner. It is at the high end of cruising boat sizes, and isn't at all necessary for cruising. I won't argue that you should go as small as my Carina, but something in the 38' - 42' is ample - particularly for a starter boat. You can certainly get a good cruising boat in that range for under $150k, if you don't need a flashy modern boat.
Well, the short answer is that since we will be living and cruising on it for many years to come, I don't want to go any smaller than a 43. Please PM me if you see anything that might work. Ideally, a CC would be great.
Old 12-02-2012, 22:54   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I have been watching the prices on Sailboatlistings for the last year or so in Oregon and WA, and even though the prices have dropped slightly overall, none of the boats seem to be moving.
This one seems a little on the high side. As a novice, I'm sure I'm missing something...?? 2004 Custom Built Cutter Skookum hull sailboat for sale in Oregon
This Kelly Peterson 44 is in Astoria:

Boat for Sale - KP44 <em>Watermark</em>

You won't find a better blue water boat in this size range, especially one priced at less than $100k.

If you are not familiar with the KP44, look at some of the reviews posted on the owners' website, kp44.org.

It's a CC.
Old 12-02-2012, 23:32   #238

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I thought you could only stay 90 out of 180 days. There was that blog about illegal aliens in the Eurozone.
I asked the question and i was told 180 days and leave then if you arrive back with documentation/receipts showing you have left then the clock starts again. We will be there next month and quite honestly 90 days is fine i'll investigate further. Cheers
Old 13-02-2012, 01:54   #239

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I'd give a second vote for the Peterson 44 - it is a classic cruising boat. $100k is a good price, and that's just the asking price. And located just down the river. This one won't be on the market long.
Old 13-02-2012, 02:17   #240

Thumbs up Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
This Kelly Peterson 44 is in Astoria:

Boat for Sale - KP44 <em>Watermark</em>

You won't find a better blue water boat in this size range, especially one priced at less than $100k.

If you are not familiar with the KP44, look at some of the reviews posted on the owners' website, kp44.org.

It's a CC.
Thanks for the link! I recently signed up for the mailing list, as the KP's are at the top of my list! Plus it's an order of magnitude closer to my budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: