Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 11:19   #166

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

This boat is on the hard about a mile from where I live. It's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. The one that had over $100,000 invested in it. Small for a world cruiser but just fine for a coastal boat. It sold for $11k less than the listing. Gray & Gray, Inc. (York, ME)
I consider myself a good boat builder, but I have to say the level of craftsmanship on this boat way out classes my work.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:11   #167

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
This boat is on the hard about a mile from where I live. It's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. The one that had over $100,000 invested in it. Small for a world cruiser but just fine for a coastal boat. It sold for $11k less than the listing. Gray & Gray, Inc. (York, ME)
I consider myself a good boat builder, but I have to say the level of craftsmanship on this boat way out classes my work.
This boat would be impossible to finance, so guys like me can't go near it. The age limit for financing really does eliminate a whole contingent of potential buyers.

No, you don't always get your money back. The PO of my Cape Dory re-powered, and contacts at the boatyard said he spent over 12K. He simply lost that money when he sold it, but perhaps it shortened the period on the market from 2 years to one.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 02:09   #168

Well, The center cockpit Tayana Vancouver in Maryland is gone from Yachtworld. I wonder if it sold, or was just pulled.
Old 29-01-2012, 13:27   #169

So the Tayana sold quickly, from what I've found. That would make the fulcrum price point about 50% of the asking price of similar boats. This reflects and supports the information from several other posters on this thread. This is, of course, a general statement. There are boats, desirable types and individual overhauled and up-graded boats, which will fall outside this generalization. There are always exceptions. It does reflect the market conditions however.
Old 29-01-2012, 16:10   #170

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. But there are no bad markets nor bad boats. It is bad prices that do not sell.

Put any 100k market value thing on any market asking 50k and zoom it went!

If a boat does not sell, it is overpriced for the marketplace at any specific time, same as any other good.

Boats are just goods. Sure: not all of them are the same type of good. Bavaria is not a Mona Lisa and there is only one Suhaili.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 16:46   #171

Well put. If anyone is sad they missed that Tayana, there is another one in FL. for about the same price.... Aft cockpit, two years older....
Old 29-01-2012, 17:20   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
This boat is still listed... you say its sold?

ETA Nevermind, I saw the red SOLD
Old 31-01-2012, 06:52   #173

I was talking with the broker about the Tayana 42 cc for 49K. They discovered a bad fuel tank after the price drop. The broker priced the job for me at 14K. I offered less than the asking and contacted the broker Fri to see what was up. He did not know fri and the add is gone as of Mon. Oh well!
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 07:34   #174

I had to contact the broker the curiousty was killing me! from the sellers broker

"The owner was upset with the fact that I told you about the leaking tank. That was the moment I told him that I was taking the sign off and the ladder down."

I am glad I did not drive 10hrs one way. I am sure still not a bad price for a Tayana 42cc.

Back to the subject : Is the Market Really this Bad ? I say hell NO but I am a buyer! LOL I am having fun! I did shed a few tears when a Hans 38T in fine condition sold just out of my reach.
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:19   #175
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteH2Okayaker View Post
"The owner was upset with the fact that I told you about the leaking tank. That was the moment I told him that I was taking the sign off and the ladder down."
Lol! I guess the Vendor will hold out for a buyer with no sense of smell .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44   #176

Boat: Gib sea 43

I's say , take the average price for any make model, market it for 65% ad it will go quickly, well that's what i found when boat shopping last year, anything around that mark shifted very quickly

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:49   #177

I'm in the market for a boat. Been out of boating since my first kid was born, but now that we (wife and me) are empty-nesters, we're shoppers.

Been to a few marinas and talked to long-time sales people, and they say the same thing: it's a wonderful market to be a buyer, but horrible if you have to sell something in order to buy.

I have been "window shopping" for a couple of years, and the prices out on the left coast are very low - like 40% off of what they were just a few years ago.

Great for buyers, but sucks if you need to sell.

PS - we sold a motorhome a couple of years ago, and it sucks to be a seller of motorhomes too.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58   #178

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Hi Bain Dramage welcome to CF. Lots of good and some disputable advice here...have fun.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03   #179
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the Market Really this Bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Hi Bain Dramage welcome to CF. Lots of good and some disputable advice here...have fun.
All advice is disputable... its a sailing forum...
Welcome to CF BrainDamage...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18   #180
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Prices are low and it is described as a buyer's market. If you are selling to move up you will lose on selling but win on the new boat as you are buying it in the same market conditions. If you are planning to sell but not buy another boat yes you will suffer.

And i wouldn't buy without selling the current boat first.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote