Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15   #16

Re: Is the Eastern Caribbean "Costal Cruising"

If I already had experience sailing in the Caribbean, I would not have asked. Of course. There seems to be almost and "O MY GOD YOU ARE GOING TO DO WHAT" Attitude here. All I want to do is live on a boat for a few years and explore the caribbean. Originally I wanted to do it in a Trawler. Big windows OMG! You won't like the motion in following seas OMG! The price of diesel OMG! I imagine even the lightest built sailboat is more seaworthy than a Trawler. At least the ones I can afford. Then there are the Catamaran guys. No matter the argument I can't afford a cat. So, thank you all for the input. I will be looking for an inexpensive, Non-"blue water" sailboat for the adventure.
monteverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteverde View Post
If I already had experience sailing in the Caribbean, I would not have asked. Of course. There seems to be almost and "O MY GOD YOU ARE GOING TO DO WHAT" Attitude here. All I want to do is live on a boat for a few years and explore the caribbean. Originally I wanted to do it in a Trawler. Big windows OMG! You won't like the motion in following seas OMG! The price of diesel OMG! I imagine even the lightest built sailboat is more seaworthy than a Trawler. At least the ones I can afford. Then there are the Catamaran guys. No matter the argument I can't afford a cat. So, thank you all for the input. I will be looking for an inexpensive, Non-"blue water" sailboat for the adventure.
One of the greatest things about this whole boating thing, is you can do it "your-way", take responsibility for your choices and ignore those that disagree with you.

This forum contains thousands of very opinionated people, from all over the world with several levels of experience and knowledge. When you ask our opinion, you're going to get it! What you do with it is up to you.

Enjoy
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51   #18

I would call it mostly coastal cruising. Certainly not as likely to be a trial as the west coast US, or East coast for that matter. The longest trip is an overnighter and mostly within sight of land. You can get in trouble coastal cruising though! I woud have no problem doing it in a trawler.... if I could afford the fuel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Yes trawlers can do it but funnily enough very very few do.
The ICW and east coast of USA is full of trawlers that could do it easily.... Some get to the Bahamas, but very rearly in the Caribbean will one see a trawler under 70 feet.

If I had a trawler I would be there like a shot.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54   #20

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
So Hawaii to New Zealand is just island hopping
No that would be island HOPING.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:25   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
.... I will be looking for an inexpensive, Non-"blue water" sailboat for the adventure.
And, keep in mind that the term "blue water" means absolutely nothing and is WAY overused. The terms "near coastal" and "offshore" do have legally defined meanings. The USCG definition of "near coastal" is within 250 miles of land. On most popular Carib cruising routes you are never over 250 miles from land. However, you can still get your butt seriously kicked while "near coastal" if you don't pay close enough attention to mother nature (and sometimes even when you do).

As others have said, any well built production boat is just fine for cruising the Eastern Carib. What is probably more important than the boat is sailing experience and careful weather related planning.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean