Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-04-2012, 12:51   #16

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Is the Bristol 45.5 a dog ?

I just looked at the listing. I would jump at it, subject to survey and sea trial.

Really!!! That's a bargain if you are looking for a real blue water cruiser

Old 09-05-2014, 08:25   #17

Boat: Chaterer

cherp
Did you end up checking out those Bristols?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Probably the most telling ratio to look at would be your sail area/displacement ratio. On the US Sailing calculator, cruising boats range from 10-15, racer/cruisers from 16-20, racers 20-23, and sportboats/high performance racers 24 and above. The B 45.5 rates 14.94, so just at the high end of a cruising boat.

Two other ratios that will tell something about performance are ballast/displacement, which for your boat is a very stable 43.28%, and displacement/length, which comes out at 299.37, which puts you in the category of moderate displacement. (I believe an earlier post put you in the mid/heavy displacement category; this was incorrect.)

What does this all say? Well, first of all it says that your boat was designed in 1979. By the standards of the day it was right on the numbers. By today's standards it's a bit sluggish, but certainly not in the same way that the full-keelers of the days of yore were.

So if I were tactician on your boat, I'd go into a race knowing to avoid tacking duels since it won't accelerate well out of a tack. I'd want to carry a bit more sail than most of the competition because it's stable enough to carry it well. I'd look for race courses with a lot of reaching, because I'm going to do better there than on a windward/leeward course. I'd love chop and steep waves, because she'll carry through it better than lighter weight boats.

I'd know better than to bet pink slips with recently built boats in the same size range like the Catalina 47, the Hunter 460, or the Beneteau 463, especially in light air. Your SA/D of 14.93, for example, compares to the Hunter's 18.22. In light air, with its greater waterline, it's going to run away from you upwind and down. Your best chance in such a race would be to hope it blows at least gale force and that the skipper doesn't quite understand how to reef.

We're not racers, however--we're cruisers, right? You've got a boat that was built at the end of an era when cruisers were cruisers, racers were racers, and there was little thought of making something try to do both. If a fellow wanted a fast cruiser, there wasn't anything built better than a Bristol 45.5.

Is your boat a dog? Well, if it is, it's no greyhound. Not even an Irish setter. Think of it more as a seasoned Labrador retriever. Steady, reliable, loyal to its owner, and not at all afraid of getting wet.

I also agree with your synopsis . As a Bristol 45.5 owner myself I can say they are great sea boats . What a ride ! Very little pounding , Solid and secure under foot . And after all these years all the doors still close down below, that says a lot about their construction.

Regards
Old 09-05-2014, 16:23   #19

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Kodak....no I didn't. But I do fancy those Bristols. I think they are a fine boat.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:11   #20

Boat: Swan 432

There is a similar boat back east (1981 Alden 44) for $115 that I seriously have my eye on. Also a CB keel but regular main.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:12   #21

Boat: Swan 432

There is a similar boat back east (1981 Alden 44) for $115K that I seriously have my eye on. Also a CB keel but regular main.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46   #22

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Googled the Alden 44 because I'm not familiar with them. Very nice.
Old 11-05-2014, 15:45   #23

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Googled the Alden 44 because I'm not familiar with them. Very nice.
Be sure to look carefully at the galley in the Alden. Some of them have a tiny galley stuck near the passageway to the aft cabin. (Others do not, because most were semi-custom builds.) You do not want a small galley witn inferior storage in a cruising boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: