Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-06-2009, 04:56   #1

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
Is that a Hole Below the Waterline?

Something I wanted to share.
Bought my Benny 281 last July. Shortly after the purchase I found it was slowly taking on water. After the fall haulout it seemed obvious that one of the through hulls was not sealed and seated correctly. I proceeded to re-install it, as well as the one right beside it, because it too did not look great. Shortly after this springs launch I was saddened to see it was still taking on water. After sitting on the dock staring for hours, it dawned on me to look at the stern drain hole (a small hole drilled through the sill on the scoop transom to prevent water from pooling) After close examination from my Zodiac, it appeared that there may be a small crack inside that hole. This was above the waterline at the dock, but below with people in the cockpit.
Hanging upside down with a heat gun in my hand, I dried the hole, taped the bottom, and pushed in some Sikaflex.
The leak stopped!

Next haulout I will have to fill with epoxy and re-drill it out.
Thought it was a strange place for a leak, but you never know i guess.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 05:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
My strangest leak only happened on port tack so I had some idea where it might be. Took a few hours but found it was the port cockpit drain hose which drained to a starboard side through hull. The hose had a small split in it right against the hull (couldn't be seen because it was tight against the hull) near the through hull. Of course when I went into the locker to check we were no longer on port (I'd changed tacks when I discovered it only leaked on port) but luckily I saw a few beads of moisture and finally found the leak.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: