Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2014, 16:55   #76

Boat: TBD
Re: Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yee gods that Duo has a big fuel tank, something like 227 litres and that is if the tank is US gallons rather than imperial. Our VP 2003 uses about 1.5 liters per hour at 2000 revs for about 5-5.5 knots depending on weight and the bottom condition. So you have a range of 750 miles and a draft of 3'4", probably quite useful for doing the loop and excellent for the Bahamas. Would I sail our very similar Moody 31 to Oz, hmm perhaps not but Roger Taylors latest yacht is a 24ft triple keeled yacht.

By comparison we have a 24 US gallon fuel tank I consider that too much and am about to reduce it by a 1/3rd. It would be interesting to see were they have put all those extra tanks and if it affects the balance of the boat. The water alone is 1/2 a tonne and that is without the tanks on a boat that probably weights 8000 lbs.

There are other Duo's with big tanks btw:

Westerly Konsort 29 Duo - Westerly Konsort 29 Duo Sailboat for sale in Netherlands :: Boatshop24

The Moody equivalent to the Westerly was the Eclipse 33, slightly more expensive but owners seem to love them. Both manufacturers were in directly competition with each other for many years btw.
Fuel tank would be 227.124707 Liters, water tank would be 567.811767 Liters, and the holding tank would be 132.489412 Liters for that boat in the link. According to the post at cruising speed of 6 knots it uses 2.27124707 liters per hour converted from the U.S. gallons to liters.

Side not got back from my test at the hospital about an hour ago and ate before longing in. After not eating for 40 hours I was pretty hungry and probably ate more than I should have. They removed one polyp, said I still had diverticulitis but it was not longer infected so as long as I watch what I eat I should be okay so no surgery for that, thank goodness. Now just have to deal with the knees and I see the doctor on those on the 8th.

My test was delayed over 3 hours and me and the guy in the next bed was talking about different things when I told him I wanted to get my knees fixed and find a sailboat he told me about a boat he knew about that is close by and he is going to send me the information about it when he gets home. It is supposedly in very good shape. His flight instructor has it, his instructor is also a aircraft mechanic, he told me the guy did some work for someone on their plane and didn't have enough money to pay for all of the work, so they gave him the sailboat in trade for the labor. He supposedly took it out a few times but is too busy to sail and just wants to get rid of it to anyone that wants it. I guess I'll find out what it is and the specs on it later. If it is in as good of shape as I was told and free even if it will not do what I want it to do it will give me something to sail around the lake and learn on till I raise the money for the boat I need. I then can sale it and use the money I get from it toward the other boat. Hopefully it will be a boat that I can use for the loop at least.

There was another thing I found out today, as some of you know that has read my post that I have a back problem, with the curved spine and the herniated disk I was not sure what my height was now. It has been 6'6" all these years, when they measured me today I seem to have shrunk some. Instead of being 78 inches tall, because of my back problems I have shrunk down to 76.5 inches. So I lost an inch and a half in the last few years so I might not need as tall of a cabin for awhile.

Old 02-09-2014, 17:01   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor View Post
Nothing ridiculous about it. A boat that has a double hull with enough closed cell foam in between the hulls will make it almost completely unsinkable unless you over load it to the point that nothing will keep it afloat. In fact ETAP Yachts are certified unsinkable by the French Merchant Marine. Since the article I read was dated Nov 2000, I would think other companies in the past 14 years have built boats similarly designed. There are military motor life boats that are certified as self righting and unsinkable so it is not a unreasonable request.

a64pilot

The Titanic had a major design flaw that the top on the "water tight" compartments were not capped, so once the water rose to the top of the wall it just flowed over to the next compartment flooding the next compartment and just kept going. It was double hulled but it was not filled with a closed cell foam ether and I do not know how much foam it would have required to hold up all that weight of ship that large filled with water. Plus I am talking about a boat not a massive ship.
FYI: a 10000 lb boat (about a 30 footer I suppose) will require about 156 cubic feet of air to be neutral buoyancy. More of foam depending on density. Figure it out....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:34   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Fuel tank would be 227.124707 Liters, water tank would be 567.811767 Liters, and the holding tank would be 132.489412 Liters for that boat in the link. According to the post at cruising speed of 6 knots it uses 2.27124707 liters per hour converted from the U.S. gallons to liters.

Side not got back from my test at the hospital about an hour ago and ate before longing in. After not eating for 40 hours I was pretty hungry and probably ate more than I should have. They removed one polyp, said I still had diverticulitis but it was not longer infected so as long as I watch what I eat I should be okay so no surgery for that, thank goodness. Now just have to deal with the knees and I see the doctor on those on the 8th.

My test was delayed over 3 hours and me and the guy in the next bed was talking about different things when I told him I wanted to get my knees fixed and find a sailboat he told me about a boat he knew about that is close by and he is going to send me the information about it when he gets home. It is supposedly in very good shape. His flight instructor has it, his instructor is also a aircraft mechanic, he told me the guy did some work for someone on their plane and didn't have enough money to pay for all of the work, so they gave him the sailboat in trade for the labor. He supposedly took it out a few times but is too busy to sail and just wants to get rid of it to anyone that wants it. I guess I'll find out what it is and the specs on it later. If it is in as good of shape as I was told and free even if it will not do what I want it to do it will give me something to sail around the lake and learn on till I raise the money for the boat I need. I then can sale it and use the money I get from it toward the other boat. Hopefully it will be a boat that I can use for the loop at least.

There was another thing I found out today, as some of you know that has read my post that I have a back problem, with the curved spine and the herniated disk I was not sure what my height was now. It has been 6'6" all these years, when they measured me today I seem to have shrunk some. Instead of being 78 inches tall, because of my back problems I have shrunk down to 76.5 inches. So I lost an inch and a half in the last few years so I might not need as tall of a cabin for awhile.
Nothing wrong with a free boat unless it's
One you wished you hadn't gotten.

I have one of those.

An oday dinghy sail that when I arrived to pick it up I was already obligated to take it...(was arranged by SO's ex-father in law (whom we are very close to)). Well the sail is in perfect shape so I got something out of it, but the hull is in such bad shape it will be cheaper to just build a new hull for the sail...honestly. Too much glass and epoxy needed and it's too damned small and arranged poorly for me anyway, so I 'll build a tender for the sail. A bolger Windsprint or june bug I think will be a nice dinghy.

Anyway the point is a free boat is great IF it's a boat you really want.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 20:00   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Nothing wrong with a free boat unless it's
One you wished you hadn't gotten.

I have one of those.

An oday dinghy sail that when I arrived to pick it up I was already obligated to take it...(was arranged by SO's ex-father in law (whom we are very close to)). Well the sail is in perfect shape so I got something out of it, but the hull is in such bad shape it will be cheaper to just build a new hull for the sail...honestly. Too much glass and epoxy needed and it's too damned small and arranged poorly for me anyway, so I 'll build a tender for the sail. A bolger Windsprint or june bug I think will be a nice dinghy.

Anyway the point is a free boat is great IF it's a boat you really want.
That is why I'm not holding my breath on the boat right now. Waiting to see what exactly it is and what shape it is in before I do anything. Shoot if the thing is a day sailor with a 8 foot draft there wouldn't be much use to me except for spare parts or in a deep water lake. Now if the keel is full of lead I could make use of all that lead. 600 lbs of lead would make about 28,000 150 grain 7.62 x 54R cast bullets.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Ha, no chance those bilge keels on a Consort are going to be cast iron like mine. The good news is they will out last the both of us.

Good luck with the meds, friend has Diverticulitis and has continued diving with it for over a decade. His only limit is a wheat free diet but he copes.

Pushing a 29ft yacht along at 6+ knots could use 2.2 liters per hour but it is going to be 3000 revs and will feel harsh. Slow down a knot and you are less than 1.5lph. Drop to 4.5 knots and its something like 1lph on a VP 2003. That is going to be a big difference doing the loop and after all whats the rush.

Pete

Pete
Old 03-09-2014, 03:26   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

The planned max draft in the Mississippi is 8ft, boat the shoals are constantly moving and some lakes get as shallow as 6 ft before they get dredged again. Keep that in mind.

I learned that when I first began planning my semi-retirement ship in Le Claire Iowa. Was going to float it down the miss to the gulf before stepping a mast on it and shoving off to new shores. Life got in the way, but the work is slowly getting underway now. Just have to tie up some loose ends before I start building an effigy that looks like I have more money than I actually do.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:48   #82

Quote:
Ha, no chance those bilge keels on a Consort are going to be cast iron like mine. The good news is they will out last the both of us.

Good luck with the meds, friend has Diverticulitis and has continued diving with it for over a decade. His only limit is a wheat free diet but he copes.

Pushing a 29ft yacht along at 6+ knots could use 2.2 liters per hour but it is going to be 3000 revs and will feel harsh. Slow down a knot and you are less than 1.5lph. Drop to 4.5 knots and its something like 1lph on a VP 2003. That is going to be a big difference doing the loop and after all whats the rush.

Pete

Pete
I was talking about the "free" boat lol. I know the konsort is probably iron.
Thanks, They didn't put me on any new meds and the ones they did put me on for a week did their job in that there is no more infection. I guess the one polyp was "blocking" traffic so to speak which caused the problem to start with. I normally eat the right type of foods for the type diet they gave me to follow. I don't even eat beef except for a burger from McD' s or Burger King about once a month as a treat. Mom is allergic to beef and Dad isn't supposed to have much of it because of his heart so it doesn't get cooked here at the house. Bacon, burgers, and ground meat cooked here are ether Turkey or Deer based meats.

Quote:
Scot McPherson
The planned max draft in the Mississippi is 8ft, boat the shoals are constantly moving and some lakes get as shallow as 6 ft before they get dredged again. Keep that in mind.

I learned that when I first began planning my semi-retirement ship in Le Claire Iowa. Was going to float it down the miss to the gulf before stepping a mast on it and shoving off to new shores. Life got in the way, but the work is slowly getting underway now. Just have to tie up some loose ends before I start building an effigy that looks like I have more money than I actually do.
I lived by that river from mid 1973 to late 1997. Have fished the off shoots, pulled drunks off the river that ran out of fuel or got stuck on a sand bar or other problems from their lack of common since, dragged the river looking for bodies or in some cases cars with bodies in them more times that I can count. Have even dived quite a few times in boat club shoot of the river to retrieve bodies from cars were people committed suicide by driving their cars off the ramp into the river at boat club shoot. That is not an easy thing to do. You can't see a foot in front of you, the current is fighting you the whole way down the line to the vehicle that they have snagged with the drag line. All the while you are hoping that that line will remain hooked till you get a semi permanent line attached. Then you have to follow the new line back up to get the tow truck's winch cable to take back down and then feel your way around the vehicle to find a place to hook the cable to and hope it holds till pulled back up the ramp. Diving in black water is bad enough but add that current too it is down right hard. I was on the river rescue squad there from 91-97, I was one of the divers on the boat team. After a guy I know caught a 6 foot Bull shark not far from there my dive partner nor myself would dive in that water again unless we would have had chainmail on. Any diving after that shark was caught was done by the Missouri Water Patrol. They have caught Bull sharks as far north in that river as southern Illinois. I have not scuba dived since 97. I sold most of my gear years ago and not even sure where my wetsuit is now days, it is probably still hanging up on the clothes bar in the attic over at the other house in MO. I'll need to get me a new set of snorkeling gear soon since my old gear is wore out. They dredge that river all the time but it is always changing. A sand bar can show up over night it seems like.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49   #83

Boat: Bristol 35

Broken- I don't want to burst your bubble but my father in law got both knees replaced and can no longer take the unsteady footing of being on a boat. He's a very very fit 70 and hasn't been able to get on the boat since having the knees replaced. He thought he could and has tried a couple times but just can't take more than a couple hours at a time in seas 1 foot or less. He has no other medical issues. Please talk with your Dr before putting money into something you may not be able to use. I know it's your dream but sometimes we have to realize that our time for certain dreams has passed. As for your back I had a ruptured disk and surgery was recommended- I started going to a great chiropractor and now have much more range of motion and the rupture is healing.
I know we all have dreams but you can't dream your way out of physics and steel knees on a moving platform do not work. They do not allow the side to side motion needed and they do not absorb shock like the original knees.
I don't say this to be negative but to give you some reality to look into. Perhaps you can find other ways of living your dream- change the dream from sea going to land going RVs?
Again, not meant to be a nay sayer but with all your medical conditions you really need to look at reality.
Old 04-09-2014, 16:06   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

As a counterpoint to the poster above, my mother in law has had both knees replaces (in her 60s) and now, in her 70's, is still living aboard...
Old 04-09-2014, 16:37   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I don't even eat beef except for a burger from McD' s or Burger King
Having watched since 1980 the size of McD burgers shrink faster than rouble bank note, I think you can safely assume you are on a beef free diet
Old 04-09-2014, 22:40   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
As a counterpoint to the poster above, my mother in law has had both knees replaces (in her 60s) and now, in her 70's, is still living aboard...
Yep, I can attest to Weyalan's MIL's continued active sailing, for we encounter her now and then when we're in Tassie.

But, more to the point, my Admiral, the ever-popular Ann T. Cate has been sailing with knee replacements on both sides for several years now. She's not as spry as she once was, but then few of us are! None the less, she has certainly continued to cruise actively since the surgery. It is simply wrong to say that one can't do so, Broken, so take heart. On the other hand, in old sailing ships and in human beings, grown knees are the best models going. Keep 'em if you can. The Titanium ones may not be OEM, but they do work.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38   #87

Boat: Bristol 35

Well I stand corrected- glad to hear. I guess my father in law is not the tough guy he want's us all to believe he is. Well in that case Broken ignore my earlier post- I apologize for the nay saying
Do look into a chiropractor for your back. I too have health issues to over come- currently working to get range of motion back in a frozen shoulder after surgery.
Keep looking for that boat and good luck!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 16:50   #88

Quote:
Having watched since 1980 the size of McD burgers shrink faster than rouble bank note, I think you can safely assume you are on a beef free diet
You pretty much could say that lol. I got one today since I had a coupon for a free double cheese burger and I gave it to my almost two year old niece and bought me a chicken sandwich. I though she would only eat about half of it but I was wrong she ate it all and part of my chicken sandwich too. I still don't know where that kid puts it all, she eats all the time. I bought the wood today to make her a sailboat to play with, I hope she doesn't try to eat it too.
Old 05-09-2014, 17:26   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Well I stand corrected- glad to hear. I guess my father in law is not the tough guy he want's us all to believe he is. Well in that case Broken ignore my earlier post- I apologize for the nay saying
Do look into a chiropractor for your back. I too have health issues to over come- currently working to get range of motion back in a frozen shoulder after surgery.
Keep looking for that boat and good luck!!!
There has been instances where the replacement surgery didn't work like it should have, your FIL might have had on of those bad ones that they get some times. even the types have changed lately, I was told by several doctors that the old style replacements were only good for about ten years but the ones they use now are good for about 25 years. As for the back I have my "turtle shell" I can wear that supports and straitens my back I just have to go get it modified so it is not pushing the top of it into my throat when I sit down with it on. That and I want to figure out some type of a climate control system for it. When I can take it off after being outside in 30 degree F weather and it looks like I stepped into a shower with my t-shirt on it needs a cooling system on that thing. Forget wearing it in 100 degree heat, you would be cooked inside out in a half hours time.

Quote:
Keep 'em if you can. The Titanium ones may not be OEM, but they do work.

Cheers,

Jim
I wish I could Jim, I have been putting this off for five years now and the plan was to wait till the end of next year to do it, but I have tore another cartilage in my right knee which was the better of the two knees. The left knee is bone against bone, the gel that they injected was supposed to be good for a year to a year and a half and was working well till I re-tore the repaired cartilage in my right knee. Back in 2002 when I messed up my right knee to start with they repaired it they did arthroscopic surgery on it as well as the left knee back in 1992. Now they can't repair it that way and only a full replacement will work. I knew back in 02 that I was going to have to have this done later in life but was hoping it would be much later. The staple like thing they used to hold the ACL together when they repaired in 02 is now floating around in my knee instead of where it was.
Old 30-12-2014, 10:47   #90

Boat: 1963 & '65 Pearson Vanguard
Is It Worth It?

We have a '63 & '65 PV. I am 5'10" and have plenty of headroom. in the '63 we built a small cabinet at the foot of the vberth making me touch at the toe. In the '64 I have well over a foot of space lying down- in the v berth.

The only time I don't have ample head space is walking through the head.

We have gutted the '64 and we bought the '63 fully in tacked - but still have spent nearly $20,000 on upgrades, new electrical, solar, etc. it's NOT cheap to totally redo a boat and if it's missing any parts, door/, etc, it's hard to find measurements that fit perfectly. Luckily we had all of those, though rotted on the '64 to use as templets. We are IN NC- and can go check it out for you. Always looking to help someone out. We have had a lot of help with ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: