Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 18:53   #16

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: Is It Worth It?

The two things you should think about is shoal draft and power on the ICW. If you find a great deal, make a friend with a surveyor or marine diesel mechanic. Many of the deals have engines with rear seal issues and repowering a sailboat or any boat is a main consideration. Live aboard you want a diesel and refits are in the ball park of 8 grand. Then new tanks, cutlass bearings, fuel filter get on the must have list. Buy a surveyor a beer. Take your time and really put the pencil to paper.
Best of luck!
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 19:56   #17

Boat: TBD

What is the FALES NAVIGATOR 32 and some of the other pilothouse motor-sailor boats like on the open water like the Gulf and The Pacific Ocean? It looks as if they are the ones with the most head room. Some I have seen list the height as 6'4" so not as much stooping involved. That ones I a have been looking at the data of all have drafts under 4.5 feet.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:33   #18

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I can only add my voice the those indicating to at least get a boat you can stand up in, and one which can at least sail and motor away from the point of purchase.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 14:19   #19

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Good luck finding a boat with that kind of headroom....there is a reason some people need to build a boat. This would be one of them.

I know I know, you gave up on that idea.

I still recommend you buy that book.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:24   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor View Post
What is the FALES NAVIGATOR 32 and some of the other pilothouse motor-sailor boats like on the open water like the Gulf and The Pacific Ocean? It looks as if they are the ones with the most head room. Some I have seen list the height as 6'4" so not as much stooping involved. That ones I a have been looking at the data of all have drafts under 4.5 feet.
So is your chase after an ICW boat, a Gulf boat or an open waters of the Pacific boat?

A boat that is perfect for one application may be a no no for another.

Make up your mind as to what you want from the boat, then your choices become simpler.

Motor/sailor boats seem to roll somewhat more than proper sailing boats when they venture off into open waters of an ocean. Except for those with stabilisers, that seem to roll less.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:27   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor View Post
...Some I have seen list the height as 6'4" so not as much stooping involved...
I'm glad you brought this up.

Please do not think that this figure represents minimum headroom throughout the boat. No! It means that, somewhere, in the very center of the aft part of the main passageway, perhaps, you could actually measure 6'4".

Unless you get a BIG boat, you won't likely get headroom.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 00:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Good luck finding a boat with that kind of headroom....there is a reason some people need to build a boat. This would be one of them.

I know I know, you gave up on that idea.

I still recommend you buy that book.
I am still going to buy the book. What better way to know how to repair something than if you know how they were built to start with.
Quote:
barnakiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Sailor
So is your chase after an ICW boat, a Gulf boat or an open waters of the Pacific boat?

A boat that is perfect for one application may be a no no for another.

Make up your mind as to what you want from the boat, then your choices become simpler.

Motor/sailor boats seem to roll somewhat more than proper sailing boats when they venture off into open waters of an ocean. Except for those with stabilisers, that seem to roll less.

b.
A boat that will transverse the Tennessee and Mississippi river waterways to the Gulf and back as well as other parts of the world. After seeing the fees involved when entering a foreign port doubling for a boat over 30 feet I want to keep mine under 30 feet if I can. Having a Min draft under lets say five feet or so will allow me to go places like the Tennessee waterway as well as take a short cut across Florida to visit my Nephew instead of having to sail around the tip of Florida to get to Port St Lucie. It will also allow me to go into anchorages that a deep draft boat can't. I know the boat is going to have to have a good motoring range to do the ICW of the Tennessee rivers, across Florida, and other places I might need it. I want to be able to visit Hawaii and other countries as well like Australia sometime. I'll have to figure out something with the medications on any trip that will take over three months round trip but I am sure I can work that out with my doctor. There are pilot house type motor-sailor boats that will cross oceans, transverse the ICW that I am taking about and big enough that I will not be too cramped up while standing up inside. Boats like the Westerly - Konsort Duo 29 looks like a good compromise. It not get me there as fast or be as less rocky as some other boats but it will go where I want it too. I am sure there are other boats that can do what I want too, I just have to do the research and find them.
Old 21-08-2014, 06:34   #23

I keep coming back to the Pearson Vanguard 32.5 and the Konsort 29 DUO but can't find ether in my price range.
Old 21-08-2014, 07:28   #24

At the helm, you have unlimited headroom!

If you configure the cabin correctly you can have decent seated headroom for most activities. With your budget, you are not buying a stroll around the cabin headroom yacht. As stated earlier, a cabin with 6'4" headroom might let you stand up in exactly one place in the boat. The rest of the time you are going to stoop. Unless you are at the dock or anchor, you will be stooped moving around a moving boat.

Either increase the budget, or live with the unlimited headroom in the cockpit and a tight cabin.

Look for something like this:
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4558138164.html
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 07:33   #25

Boat: Tanzer 27

I'll second a64 pilot...

Get known in your local sailing community, or communities and get the word out that you're looking...

The perfect boat will likely fall into your lap...

Case in point: a friend of mine just had a 41' cheoy lee dropped in his lap because he and the previous owner were both members of the same club. He got the boat for wayyyyy less than half the market value of the boat -

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2014, 10:53   #26

Boat: Spacesailer 20

In central Tennessee there are a number of marinas. If you go up to Paris Landing, Cuba Landing the lakes east of Nashville there are quite a number of boats for sale. Some of them have been on craigslist.

The area that you are makes it difficult to be involved in a Sailing Community but hey there are lots of people that you meet that may be boaties and just never know it.

With the height issue, in this case, I'm thankful I'm 5'7". Finding a boat will be significantly easier for myself than you. There are smaller boats that had 'pop tops'. I remember one in the boat club I belonged to when I was in the Navy in Sam Diego. Keep looking though. Either you'll figure it out, or you'll decide to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2014, 16:22   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Just to mention of which I'm a big fan, the Bristol Channel Cutter, on paper, aboard and sailing, and certainly to view. But I'm only 5'7". It has the type of cabin trunk that could be built or modified easily enough to suit just about any practical height.

Some other boat styles would lend themselves more easily to lowering the cabin sole, itself a straightforward job.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
In central Tennessee there are a number of marinas. If you go up to Paris Landing, Cuba Landing the lakes east of Nashville there are quite a number of boats for sale. Some of them have been on craigslist.

The area that you are makes it difficult to be involved in a Sailing Community but hey there are lots of people that you meet that may be boaties and just never know it.

With the height issue, in this case, I'm thankful I'm 5'7". Finding a boat will be significantly easier for myself than you. There are smaller boats that had 'pop tops'. I remember one in the boat club I belonged to when I was in the Navy in Sam Diego. Keep looking though. Either you'll figure it out, or you'll decide to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I had forgot about the marina at Cuba Landing, I guess because we mostly put a boat in at the Crooked Creek Marina next to our property. Thanks Dean
Old 21-08-2014, 17:47   #29

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The one that sticks in my mind for headroom is the Fantasia 35. 7-foot headroom.
Here's an example of one: 1977 Fantasia 35 CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 18:36   #30

Boat: Liberty 458

Buy a good boat. Life will be much simpler.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote