Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 23:06   #106

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Is it OK resell my Survey?

The trouble with reselling your survey is it is in the wrong name and the surveyor is not obliged to answer any questions from the new buyer. The best outcome is to contact the marine surveyor and work out a deal. Usually for a $100 I will change the name and talk to the new buyer.Then the seller usually receives what ever he can from the new buyer.
What usually happens is the survey is sold for half price before my $100 is deducted. It is usually a win win situation as I always give my customers a big discount on their second survey so usually they do not do to badly out of the deal even if their first survey was not used by them.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 02:15   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Usually for a $100 I will change the name and talk to the new buyer.Then the seller usually receives what ever he can from the new buyer.
That kind of unethical, dishonourable behaviour would get you ejected from SAMS or NAMS.
Absolutely outrageous ! Your qualifications sir are suspect.
Old 15-05-2017, 02:27   #108

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
That kind of unethical, dishonourable behaviour would get you ejected from SAMS and NAMS .
Absolutely outrageous !
I would never issue the same report with a new name. If a subsequent buyer wants a report - he may hire me for a new one. I would not discuss the old report with the new buyer. No matter what the price, unless the report is re-done.
If the time that passed is short, I may give a discount to the new guy/lady as the time needed to prepare the new report will be shorter.
On the other hand - if previous buyer, who backed off from the deal, shows the report he got to the new buyer, it is nothing that I can forbid. I am just not responsible for the text to the new buyer.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:00   #109

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

If someone asked me for the survey I would happily hand it over assuming they weren't a jerk or the broker somehow screwed the deal up. If the deal fell through on my end, the survey is a sunk cost, and worthless to me. I also let people have the last 28 minutes on my parking meter, what am I going to do demand the $1.14 for time remaining?

I have asked for, and received, surveys before I made an offer. Was helpful reading through any issues and I was thankful that the owners of the surveys were willing to share. If I were really serious about the boat I would have my own survey done.

In fact my current boat, I looked over the previous survey provided by the current owner. Nothing glaring so I went ahead with my offer. I contacted a New England surveyor who had the highest recommendations from numerous sources. When he arrived, we got started. He says "I think I surveyed this boat before". Calls his wife to check the records. Sure enough I look at the previous survey I had on my phone, it was his.

My survey revealed the current owner had neglected many of the systems vs when he bought it and that was reflected in my offer.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 05:11   #110

I assume you can certainly sell the piece of paper you have, although what you "bought" was a service and not a product. It still seems a little unsavory. I have worked in the architectural and engineering field for many years...our "paper" is not our product, our service is..but, the paper we provide is also considered to be owned by us and has language on the paper that says it must be returned to us upon completion of the project. Although I have never heard of that actually happening. It just seems a little shady that someone would sell our plans to another person in an attempt to build a second building from them. (that is not possible with local codes enforcement, etc so not a big deal).
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 15:46   #111

Boat: Volkscruiser

What I was meaning Boatpoker when changing the survey often two people in the same week wish to buy the same boat. After the survey the first buyer might pull out for whatever reason so the second buyer steps in to purchase the boat. I am not going to waste everyone's time and money by insisting on seeing the boat out of the water again in the same week. I will often go back to the boat with the new buyer and point out the faults but as for the written report I cannot see why changing the name is such an ethical issue? The first survey report is worthless to the first buyer so why not at least get some money back from the $800-$1000 he has just spent? There is a very short time frame in which I will change a survey after that I insist on seeing the boat back out of the water.
Honestly it is a waste of everyone's time and money when you do a pre-purchase survey and the buyer does not buy the boat.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote