Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 04:21   #31

Boat: Kerr 11.3
True, but the REALLY fat ones are too slow!!
Old 21-01-2010, 04:33   #32

It's best to just rig up a (large) old traveler with a tray of big macs on it. You can run the lines back to the cockpit.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 07:36   #33

Quote:
It's best to just rig up a (large) old traveler with a tray of big macs on it. You can run the lines back to the cockpit.
ROFLMAO!
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 07:48   #34

When I bought my Kaiser 26 it was named "Little Dipper." Not a bad name, but not what I wanted, either. When I hauled out to do the bottom prior to taking a 9-month sojourn to Mexico, Belize and the Rio Dulce from Fort Lauderdale, I just put the new name, "Nancy Dawson" on the transom. No formalities. No ceremonies. No BS. I had a wonderful time, no bad luck and lived on the boat for the next five years.

As the saying goes...JUST DO IT! If you want to have the fun with the ceremony and hoopla go ahead. My only caveat would be don't give the boat a name it would be embarrassed to wear like "Bull Ship" or "Wet Dream."
Old 21-01-2010, 09:10   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hahahaa..... Well I changed from Panasea to Moondance with my Hunter37.... 1st Departure NC.. had engine failure due to dirty Beaufort fuel clogging filters every 5 mins 3 miles off Lookout Point...
2nd Departure... picked up sunken mooring in Tayors Creek when leaving anchorage... bent prop shaft and had to sail back up the ICW to Oriental for haulout and new shaft..
3rd Departure.. got hit by 3 gales in 3 days, the final one throwing up seas that punched out Fwd bulkhead and broke new autohelm..
4th Departure... repaired autohelm failed again so had to solo wheel steer the remaining 1000 miles to Azores... Beaufort fuel clogged filters again.
I refuse to believe it was down to a name change... as 5 previous name changes were totally uneventful... In fact all were great sailboats...
Total boats owned to date 14...
It would be interesting to test this centuries long superstitution about the bad luck you get when -improperly- changing a boats name... If you were to change the name back to the original, I wonder if she would have smooth sailing ever after - or, would it cause double the amount of bad luck?.....

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 09:20   #36
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I figure any boat I own, as a US Citizen living in the TCI, would have dual citizenship. Should be okay with two names...

one bit of advice here, though. When coming up with your new, cool, phonetically clever boat name....mentally imagine yourself in a panic, needing help desperately, and talking to a non-native English speaker on the radio. Not the time to have to be explaining how it's really not spelled the way it sounds...
Old 21-01-2010, 09:36   #37

Boat: pearson invicta mk2
This is nothing more than superstition. There is no luck or bad luck. There are also no gods, just one God. I renamed the 'Nico' from 'My girl' and had none of these superstitious events occur. I put my faith not in superstition but in the creator God and his son Jesus Christ. It's merely a name change on a boat that you now own and care for. Problems occur because of not taking care of the boat, not a name chane...IMHO
nico105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 09:36   #38

Boat: 2006 Chaparral Signature 260
Deinately your choice. Since I was a kid (now Im 43) we were sailors and every boat we had kept the same name due to the superstition. No harm done. Now I have a 25ft cruiser that was named "Just One More..." but the name was never put on the boat. I wonder if I would/could dodge the "bad luck" bullet if I change the name. Is it bad luck to change the name if noone ever knew she was named? My wife and I cconstantly debate this issue. Thoughts?
makolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 11:28   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
the child of ignorance and the mother of misery

Superstition is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.

A superstition is any belief that is inconsistent with the known laws of science, or not based on reason, knowledge, or experience.

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the superstructure is faith, and the dome is a vain hope.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 12:31   #40

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A superstition is any belief that is inconsistent with the known laws of science, or not based on reason, knowledge, or experience.
I suppose the knowledge and experience of a million sailors over the course of a thousand years doesn't count?

I maintain that it's a matter of correlation far more than causation. A sailor who has respect for the sillier superstitions traditions of sailing seems more likely to respect the more honored traditions as well, thus keeping himself and his vessel out of trouble.
Old 21-01-2010, 12:45   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
To what “knowledge and experience of a million sailors over the course of a thousand years” do you refer, and how does it apply to the question?
Traditions, based on science & reason, are rational rules of thumb, synthesised & simplified from knowledge & experience, and well worth noting and applying.
Those based upon ignorance are not.

Like other forms of silliness, superstitions can be fun, as long as they are'nt taken seriosly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mantis View Post
... A sailor who has respect for the sillier superstitions traditions of sailing seems more likely to respect the more honored traditions as well, thus keeping himself and his vessel out of trouble.
Those who honour ignorance as highly as knowledge don't seem (to me) to have any standards.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 12:46   #42

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I personaly liked the keel hauling tradition, or was that walking the plank. Hmmm
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 13:10   #43

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Traditions, based on science & reason, are rational rules of thumb, synthesised & simplified from knowledge & experience, and well worth noting and applying. Those based upon ignorance are not.
I suppose you've an easy way of distinguishing one from the other? Suppose I have no background in meteorology. Should I disregard "red sky in morning" as ignorant superstition? Suppose I'm unskilled in rope work. Should I tie my fenders on with a granny knot, since all that "right knot for the right job" talk is just stuff and nonsense?

If half of sailing tradition is the product of centuries of observation, trial-and-error, and hard-won experience, and the other half is harmless superstition, are we better off telling people to follow the traditions or to disregard them? Do we have a quick and easy way of telling which half is which? And no, I'm not talking about boat renaming, but rather the hundreds of little things we're taught that most of us don't examine too carefully.

Perhaps, in the end, we're better off just looking down our noses at the ignorant heathens and chiding them for their silly behavior, even though they're not hurting anybody and it makes us come across as condescending Internet scolds.
Old 21-01-2010, 13:48   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Quote:
Perhaps, in the end, we're better off just looking down our noses at the ignorant heathens and chiding them for their silly behavior, even though they're not hurting anybody and it makes us come across as condescending Internet scolds.
I got lost here. Are we the heathens or the scolds?
Its not often I get accused of being ignorant and condescending in the same post!
Well done!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:37   #45

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
Everyone knows it's bad luck to be superstitious!
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote