Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2008, 22:18   #16

Boat: Currently Stranded
Kai,

Thats my point exactly. The turnkeys are build to please as many as possible. Which obviously caters more to landlubbers who want a cool place for their cocktail parties more than the 2% who are going to be cooking in 18 foot swells 600 nm out of Tahiti..

Old 06-08-2008, 22:32   #17

Boat: 44 footer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
To be fair in cost comparison between building your own boat and buying ready made….should we not be comparing new with new?
I don't think it should be, if the reason for building your own is to cut costs and get out on the water for a meager sum. I think the common denominator is cost, and not so much new boat.

At least thats why I decided not to build... (Even though I'm effectively gutting Pylasteki to a bare hull... Go figure. )

Old 06-08-2008, 22:32   #18

Kai,
Another good point. Most turnkeys are (according to me) built to appeal to the largest market. In other words landlubbers who want a bragging post to have their cocktail party on.

The other 1% that actually will attempt to cook 600 NM out of tahiti in 18 foot swells are not the target customer..

I'm also 6'1 (or 7'6'' after a little scotch) so headroom is constantly an issue on on the 30 footers.
Old 06-08-2008, 22:33   #19
Kai Nui

2%? Sounds optimistic. One piece of advice I would offer is to make sure your design actually meets function over imagination. As I have been building on our trimaran, I have found that several of my ideas for convenience, had downfalls in function. I returned to a more conventional design with those ideas, and found they were not so hard to live with after all. I am still searching for a latch mechanism that will work on my heavy duty radiused and tapered access doors. I am also still searching for seals that will work. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased prefab doors in frames. I agree that an offshore boat for two does not need to sleep 8, but it is really taxing on a relationship to have nothing but a couple of pipe berths.
Old 06-08-2008, 22:40   #20

Kai,

I saw a place that supplies latches for the heavy doors on military ships. I'll go back and see if i can find it again. Sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 06-08-2008, 23:09   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiunatc View Post
Hello From Ft. Lauderdale.

The old "long time reader first time poster"... Would be true for me.

As many others the contemplation of long term cruising is having a major lure on me at the moment. So I've been looking around for potential solutions. Especially self built for reasons of being bull headed and wanting it how i want it mainly

I've been looking around and it seems to me that almost all the build pages out there are 5-10 years old. With web-presence having grown so dramatically over the same period, the opposite should be true even with an even number of new projects.

Is Building your own boat dead these days? And if so why?
I will go out on the limb here and say I hope building is dead and buried more than 6 ft. under. I have done it 3 times...twice in steel from the ground up and once from a bare hull in fiber-glass. By far the bare hull was a better choice. However, it was 2 1/2 years at 20 hours a week and gobs of money. All this for a 34 ft. boat.
To me the smartest choice is to buy an older proven design of the smallest possible deminsions allowing for safety and doing a modest restore with updated "basic" electronics and new rigging and newer sails. To me, this makes the best sense. I have heard time and time again how folks want to build themselves because they want it their way. Unfortunately you get about 75% of that due to lack of practical skills and unforseen mistakes. I've said it myself and made $$$costly$$$ errors during constuction. You'll notice even the manufactures of good quaility yachts will have updated versions of interiors after the first years run. This is also true many times of their rigging also.
And here is were I will piss alot of people off. Steel is not easy to build. I have the scares to prove it. For the amature builder that builds in an outside open area, it usually comes out looking like a lumpy potato at best. You want to talk about torture? Try sand blasting inside and outside every day after an 8 hour day at work for 4 more hours for around 8 weeks. I hope your not married.
Have I missed anything? Oh ya...working with epoxy primers and Linear-poly-urethane (which is isocyanate based) day after day. Chances are all this work will knock a good 10 years off your life.
Other than that...building not that bad.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 23:12   #22

Celestial,

Then my question would be... Why did it take three times? :P
Old 06-08-2008, 23:14   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiunatc View Post
Celestial,

Then my question would be... Why did it take three times? :P
I'm hard of hearing...stubborn, and stupid! Does this answer your question?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 23:29   #24

It would, but i'm still convinced that you on a less cloudy day could come up with the reason you chose to self destruct twice over after doing it the first time.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:10   #25

Boat: now floating easy37
i dunno whether youve looked but there are plenty of people out there building their own cats as these seem to hold and return value better
sean
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

I suppose it is also possible that those building boats simply do not have the time to create / maintain websites......

But I think also the nail was hit on the head with talk of folk nowadays building Cats. Probably pretty much the same reason as those building Monos 20/30 years ago. There was simply not the pool of suitable older mono boats available at prices that heavily undercut self building. Now their is. And of course people now know that self build = a lot harder to sell / low prices (whether fairly or not).

Plus of course finance is a lot easier to obtain nowadays (present credit crunch excepting ) so folk do not need to use self build as a form of self financing.

Why Cats now? It seems that even s/h the big ones are not cheap - and the production ones appear to be heavily tilted towards Charter, so plenty of attraction to at least try and build something that more suits individual requirements, with also maybe the hope of cost saving......and given the sums involved possibly also a degree of self financing from "build as you earn".

No doubt in 30 years time a pool of more affordable Cats will also be available, unless demand greatly outstrips supply. Quite possible.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 13:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
"If you want to build a boat, build a boat. If you want to go sailing, go sailing. Don't try and mix the two as you'll probably accomplish neither." A quote from Jim Slatt.

Don't ever expect to save money building a boat. If you can't live without a boat built just for you, then have at it. Hope your purse and health lasts long enought to use the boat.
Old 07-08-2008, 13:17   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Some people build just for the sake of building. It's surely not for everyone, and it is demanding. I myself am thinking of building a cat, and then I hit myself in the head to remind me not to. A little good guy, and a little bad guy on my shoulders talking to me. My head going back, and forth!!!!!!! As always time will tell
Old 07-08-2008, 15:00   #29

Fusion Catamarans NZ Ltd - Fusion 40 sailing boat

Spirited Designs - Home of the Spirited 380 by Craig Schionning

Schionning Designs -

It looks like Australia and New Zealand have a hause in building catamarans. And like everything, you can choise between different kit. From just hull to complete boat. And if you want, just the drawings like the.... BOAT PLANS BRUCE ROBERTS, FOUNDED 1966, OFFICIAL SITE, 200 boat plans & boat kits SAILBOATS, POWER BOATS powerboats steel, aluminum, fiberglass, wood epoxy boats
Old 07-08-2008, 15:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Some people build just for the sake of building. It's surely not for everyone, and it is demanding. I myself am thinking of building a cat, and then I hit myself in the head to remind me not to. A little good guy, and a little bad guy on my shoulders talking to me. My head going back, and forth!!!!!!! As always time will tell
Very good answer....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: