Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 23:49   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Is a 44 Bavaria suitable for sailing in rough seas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
Been looking for a good passage making boat, but many factors I don't know.

This one is in good shape and well equipped, well furnished and looks clean.

A survey will show if everything is right with it,

but meanwhile, I'm trying to find out if a Bavaria boat hull is good and strong enough for say, sailing to and all around NZ, for example...
Im not sure you will get a satifactory answer on this forum or elsewhere.
Im in the market for another boat and have been researching heavily. Im fairly obsessive by nature and have a trades background.
Im finding it very difficult to fliter fact from fiction. Most opnions regarding modern boats are secondhand versions at best, often from people with very little technical knowledge and ingrained biases.
What i do know is that i see Barvarias ,as well as other major brands in anchorages throughout my travels and they got there the same way i did. I also believe that no company in our modern world stays in business if they continually fail to produce a good product, a free market dosent allow this.
Also keep this in mind, just because someone as been living a cruising life for many years dosent mean he/she is an expert regarding boat design and/or boat construction, he/she may have strong biases supported by little, i witness this regularly.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 00:40   #17

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What i do know is that i see Barvarias ,as well as other major brands in anchorages throughout my travels and they got there the same way i did.
Well.. true. But did you go thru force 7 winds or more and 10ft swell or higher for a week or even longer to get there?

Most of us (thank goodness) don't sail in rough conditions. The question is .. if you get caught someday, do you believe your boat will take care of you?

Nowadays forecasts are of an amazing quality and a coastal sailor without a death wish can probably sail his or her whole life without ever encountering rough conditions. Then you can probably relax your requirements and give comfort and value a higher score in a boat buying decision. I wouldn't buy a bullet proof Hummer to take the family to the mall on Sundays.. well.. some people do

And yes you can make anything work. I once drove a Ford Fiesta up a mountain in a rural area in the Andes.. at the end it was rattling like a box of old rusty nails.. but we got there

Quote:
I also believe that no company in our modern world stays in business if they continually fail to produce a good product, a free market dosent allow this.
Err.. not true. One word: Microsoft.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Well.. true. But did you go thru force 7 winds or more and 10ft swell or higher for a week or even longer to get there?

Most of us (thank goodness) don't sail in rough conditions. The question is .. if you get caught someday, do you believe your boat will take care of you?

Nowadays forecasts are of an amazing quality and a coastal sailor without a death wish can probably sail his or her whole life without ever encountering rough conditions. Then you can probably relax your requirements and give comfort and value a higher score in a boat buying decision. I wouldn't buy a bullet proof Hummer to take the family to the mall on Sundays.. well.. some people do

And yes you can make anything work. I once drove a Ford Fiesta up a mountain in a rural area in the Andes.. at the end it was rattling like a box of old rusty nails.. but we got there

When you did that trip on a Barvaria ( force 7 ,10 ft seas for 1 week) what went wrong with the boat? What actually failed?

I wonder what percentage of forum contributors are using a microsoft platform when participating on this forum? I find windows more than adequate when i use it eg. Open CPN.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:19   #19

Boat: no boat any more

"...Some of the older ones are not great sailers, but they are well built,..."
muhaha!!!
just a short look at the secondhand market will show you that the Bavs are the cheapest boats, length for length & age for age. whatever this will tell you about their quality...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:35   #20

Barvaria 42 travelled 64,000nm via cape good hope and Chilean waters amongst other bodies of water. Its safe to say they saw some rough weather.

http://www.yachtsaleswest.com/bavari...world-3-times/

Old 10-10-2016, 04:01   #21

Thanks for all the replies...

And while I don't have anything against things made by Robots - Cars made by robots seem to be generally the better choice for reliability. I still get that there's a complete lack of a strong positive sentiment.

I was attracted to the nice, clean shape, the pretty and spacious interior and the apparent good condition.

That a boat built in 2002 was affordable enough for me did raise some suspicion and at any rate, I would seek forum advice - There's nothing like having your boat come apart with your wife and kids aboard.

I'd rather sail something old and ugly as long as I know it'll hold together...
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21   #22

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
When you did that trip on a Barvaria ( force 7 ,10 ft seas for 1 week) what went wrong with the boat? What actually failed?

I wonder what percentage of forum contributors are using a microsoft platform when participating on this forum? I find windows more than adequate when i use it eg. Open CPN.

?? I think u misunderstood what I was trying to say.. Your premise is that if you see Bavarias around they must have gotten there somehow and that must mean they are seaworthy and I countered that has a flawed logic cause boats not always if ever sail in rough weather. I wasn't talking about my boat. I have a Contessa ;-)

And trust me sir.. that you find OpenCPN adequate on your PC doesn't mean Microsoft makes a great product .. disclaimer : I write software for a living
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:56   #23

Quote:
LOL omg so true.
And I thought Microsoft was bad under Ballmer... But now I have a computer with Windows 10
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:06   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

Maybe you should ask these guys their opinion about the Bavaria 44:

They circumnavigated by the Northwest passage, you can contact them through their blog:
Perithia
I don't share the idea that the Bavaria Farr designs are better boats (except in the sense that they are more recent designs) than the previous J&J designs, I mean in the build quality and seaworthiness.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

They circumnavigated by the Northwest passage, you can contact them through their blog:
Perithia
I don't share the idea that the Farr designs are better boats (except in the sense that they are more recent designs) than the previous J&J designs, I mean in the built quality and seaworthiness.
Exactly, ask people that are out there doing it on the boat your talking about.
Many contributors have good intentions but they just dont know. Ask them to back up their opinions with real evidence , facts, not hear say.
You have been presented with two examples of two different Barvarias sailing remote latitudes presented to you on this thread. Others have used words like" it fell apart" but did not substantiate what this meant if anything.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:27   #26

in the 90ies I was working on Bavarias (from 37-51') & some of the build-quality was ridiculous bordering on the criminal (e.g. keelstepped mast resting on a hollow floor that was dishing in, comic-book electrical installations, ...)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:27   #27

Quote:
?? I think u misunderstood what I was trying to say.. Your premise is that if you see Bavarias around they must have gotten there somehow and that must mean they are seaworthy and I countered that has a flawed logic cause boats not always if ever sail in rough weather. I wasn't talking about my boat. I have a Contessa ;-)

And trust me sir.. that you find OpenCPN adequate on your PC doesn't mean Microsoft makes a great product .. disclaimer : I write software for a living
My point is you indirectly or directly questioned a Barvarias sea worthiness " force 7 ,10foot seas 7 days or more" yet you havent experienced those conditions on a Barvaria. So the truth is you really dont know if they could handle sailing in that weather or not, but still you have an opinion that it cant based on?????
This is my point, unqualified backed up by nothing opinions that influence other peoples buying decisions.
I have a good looking Beneteau 39 next to me right now, also their is a Tayana 37 out the front thats leaking due to rust from the inside of its capsulated keel creating pressure and cracking the hull, the Beneteau isnt taking on water! So is the old boat a more seaworthy boat?
Btw i dont own a Barvaria and i do like Tayana 37. I think they are both good boats just different ages and different designs. Just making a point.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:43   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is a 44 Bavaria suitable for sailing in rough seas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Perithia
I don't share the idea that the Bavaria Farr designs are better boats (except in the sense that they are more recent designs) than the previous J&J designs, I mean in the build quality and seaworthiness.
And in the 70's a woman, her husband and child circumnavigated a 30ft plywood Bobcat including going round Cape Horn..
Would you buy one..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And in the 70's a woman, her husband and child circumnavigated a 30ft plywood Bobcat including going round Cape Horn..
Would you buy one..??
Arent you a fan of small plywood Wharrams?

Old 10-10-2016, 06:11   #30

't was an Oceanic...Oceanic 30 Catamaran for sale

Tags
bavaria, sail, sailing