Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2010, 07:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Irwin 43 Mark III

Back again. We are still looking for boats in the 40-45 foot range. Just saw some Irwin 43s on Yachtworld. These are 89-90 models. Anyone own one or have experience with them? Known issues, sailing qualitites etc. We are planning on Cruising the Carribean and living aboad. Thanks again to everyone here. I always learn things from you guys.

Larry
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 07:36   #2

Boat: Irwin 43
We purchased an 85 Irwin 43 last year and plan to go cruising later this year. The features that originally attracted us to the Irwin 43 its overall design, large deck and interior spaces. The hull and deck are very solid and ours had no blisters or even signs of blisters. As we get more experience on the water, we find her to be very sea kindly. We spend a day in 7-10 foot swells and 20-25 knot winds and had a very comfortable ride.

Yahoo has a users group for Irwin users and there are many Irwin 43 owners that can answer your question.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 17:15   #3

As an update on the sailing characteristics of the Irwin 43; this past weekend we entered our Irwin in the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race in the Cruisers Non Spiniker Class.,,,,,, We won in our class. This race is approximately 125 mile.
Old 27-04-2010, 18:23   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
When we were considering buying one a number of years ago, my surveyor had some suggestion what to look for before getting too serious, among them were water damage in the wood sash of all windows, mast corrosion under the paint and leaks around the rail if not properly maintained by the PO. Can't remember anything else other than if it were not for a stubborn woman who wanted top dollar, I probably would have bought it..
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 13:41   #5

Re: Irwin 43 Mark III

Another update on our Irwin 43......we sailed in the Baja Ha Ha from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, about 700 miles, then up to La Paz another 200 miles. From there we've been exploring the sea of Cortes and are now in San Carlos(Sonora). When we talk to other cruisers about our Irwin, the comment is always, lots of space. An that is true........
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21   #6

Any major repairs that you have had to make or concerned with. I am making an offer on a 87 Irwin 43 Mk III. Seems to be in good shape and like the layout, lines, and design.
scottb4200John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:26   #7

Boat: Irwin Yacht, Ketch, 52'

We have a 1977 52' Irwin Ketch. We live aboard and sail the seas. It had several electrical issues created by previous owner(s) that "spliced" a lot of wires together; battery issues (replaced 5 of the 11), and plumbing/drainage issues. Be sure to check the mast step and demand all water and fuel tanks to be topped off for your survey , along with running the engine and generator for at least 3 hours. The Irwin is a strong sailing vessel and loves any weather. Visitors that come aboard generally comment about how large and spacious she is. We have no regrets in purchasing the Irwin. Check Gene Gammon's Irwin site
SandiForee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 12:48   #8

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I sometimes wonder why people come here and make a single post, then never come back. They wait 15 minutes and if they don't get a reply to their post, that's it. Well, the Irwin 43 on yachtworld is priced correctly, compared to the other Irwins. There is a reason the other Irwin's cost $25000 more. I can tell you from bitter experience, the rust stains on the rudder mean the rudder core is saturated and the mild steel plate inside is damaged. I just rebuilt a rudder with the exact same stains. The overall condition of the boat is reflected in the price. It's an optimistic price as well. Many of the Irwin 43's have been sitting on the market for years now in the $80 to $90 K range. Quite a few in the mid to low $70's were simply pulled after a year or so. I really lust after Irwin 43's. They are about my favorite boat, so I track them,
even if I can't afford one...
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:04   #9

Another update......after spending two and a half years cruising in Mexico, we sailed to El Salvador. Our Irwin 43 is doing great. Last summer we had some yard work done in Mazatlan.....new non skid, reset the salon windows, and some new shelves in the main salon. Total Yacht Works does great work at a fair price. After this summer we will head further south with visits in Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.
Old 01-08-2013, 13:19   #10

Boat: Irwin 43CC

RE: IRWIN 43CC Mark III
Here are a few thoughts that prospective Irwin 43 buyers might want to consider. They illustrate the lessons I've learned the hard way, over a lot of sailing years, with seven (7) previous large cruising sailboats, and have survived to apply them to my present Irwin 43CC MKIII "CABARET (which may or may not be on the market this year- depends on health issues for both of us.)
Ive owned her for 1.5 years - she'd just returned from her 6th Bahamas season, in very good order, sold due to the owner's health. Since then I've spent a lot of $$ on"infrastructure" improvements: the things that don't show or add glitz or "curb appeal", but the things the really knowledgeable buyer or Surveyor will look at first.

For Example: a 6" diameter diesel tank cleanout access hatch, plus a System Boss fuel polishing and filtration system with alarms at the helm- to address the typical island issues with contaminated fuel. All new standing rigging, turnbuckles,and lifelines. A total professional review of all mechanical systems, replacement of nearly every hose below the waterline "just because" (ie because any one of these can sink you). Disassembly and servicing of the MaxProp (now!- before it runs out of grease and locks up), a new internal roller furling mainsail system (Facnor) with new sail, new Kato davits, new RIB, solar panels, etc.( She already had 2 air conditioning units, heavy duty AC and DC electrics, wind and solar chargers, inverters etc.) All new hoses, valves and level gauges for the holding tanks, a new LectraScan....things like that. I think the US Navy calls this "Preventive Maintainance". Seldom applied to sailboats.
I think the US Navy calls this "Preventive Maintainance". Seldom applied to sailboats. Think on all this. AND REMEMBER: the natural condition of every boat is SUNK. It's only by our continuous attention and relentless diligence that they can be persuaded to FLOAT.

With all that behind me I am now doing the cure stuff: interior & exterior detailing and re-varnishing, Next will be updated nav electronics for this season. Maybe even a flat screen TV and DVD (for hopelessly addicted landside guests with an eight minute attention span).
MikeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin