Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2012, 16:15   #1

IRWIN 43 MARK II Center Cockpit

Would an Irwin 43 Mark II be a good boat to use to sail around the world ? How would it handle in a typhoon or hurricane ?
white rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 16:48   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: IRWIN 43 MARK II Center Cockpit

A kayak or canoe will survive with the right person opperating it..
You cant put all your safety in the faith of a boat, no matter what type it is or how its built and only after you know the sea, will you find the right boat for yourself..
Its like asking if a Chevy will get you to the bottom of the hill.. most any will, even if you have to push it over the edge..
And a Catalina 22 swing keel will survive the worst storm known to man, thats if the conditions are right.. right meaning its burried to its deck joint in a sand pit..
Your asking if ia particular boat will survive.. it will if the right person is at the helm..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 16:49   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nothing handles real well in storms like your talking about!! The Idea is to not go where they are !! Im not being mean, Big storms are more likely to be at certian times of the year in different places! So ya plan your trips to go along with the un-stormy places at un-stormy times ! Make sense?? I don't know much about Irwins, except Ive seen them all over !! Im sure someone will answer your question about them shortly !!
Old 15-09-2012, 17:37   #4

Boat: Tayana 48

White Rabbit;

I agree with the posts. I just posted our Island Packet 40 for sale yesterday. If you are looking for an around the world boat or an around the bay boat, The IP40 stands out.

They are not cheap. But value is in the eye of the beholder. After several years of full time cruising, there will be times you will want a better boat no matter what you are in. That said, what we have seen is...any boat will do!

Truely any boat will do! What do you want? More space, more peace of mind, lower entry costs, or maybe lower maintenance costs? We have seen families living and CRUISING (not living aboard) on 28-35' boats. What is your heart's desire?

Any boat will do!

If you want to discuss any of this, look me up in classifieds.

David
USCG 50 ton master
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:27   #5

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rabbitt View Post
Would an Irwin 43 Mark II be a good boat to use to sail around the world ? How would it handle in a typhoon or hurricane ?
Although I agree with other posters, let me try to directly answer your question:

NO

I own a Irwin 43 MK II. I love the boat, I live year around, it gives me the best space for a 43 footer, and I have seen many 50 footers that have less space. It is a solid boat, no question. I pounded on the rocks for half an hour last year with no significant damage except the sacrificial part of the rudder.

She is designed to be comfortable and a fast boat. I can easily cruise at 7 knots, when sailing gets below 4 knots I use the engine. Great for family vacations, great for living aboard. Great for sailing around, going to the Bahamas, even the Carribean.

However, the roominess inside, is not good for ocean work. The keel and hull configuration makes for a very uncomfortable ride in following seas. She may not be able to close haul and bite in as many other boats. The Center cockpit configuration makes is scary to be on the aft deck when things are rolling, because you are standing there with lifelines at knee level and nothing else.

So, you would not be comfortable. In comparison, a Westsail 42 has much less space, but has a much more capable rigging and hull to deal with these conditions. Same with the Island Packets, although i have heard of chainplate failures.

Sure you could go around the world, but she would not be a "googd" boat ot go around the world. As long as she is well maintained, she will withstand any weather you can throw at her.

But you would be better off with a aft cockpit Ketch-Cutter. If you go with a center cockpit, a large radar arch would be very good to have. And an inner staysail.
If you really want an Irwin to go around the world, you may consider the 41, which is a totally different design. Not as user-friendly as the 43 MKII, but she is ketch-cutter rigged and has a fuller keel.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:18   #6

Boat: Irwin 43

A few years ago, we installed an inner staysail on our Irwin 43. Our primary reason for adding the stay-sail was for use in heavy weather. We were rather surprised that when we are sailing to wind we could get an extra 15 degrees.

We love our Irwin.....I agree with everything that water dancer says.....we consider our Irwin a Fair Weather Boat.......don't buy an Irwin if you want to dodge ice burgs..........

We've been on the boat for about 3 years now and cruised from Los Angeles to El Salvador. Many people that we have met along the way purchased heavy weather boats and wish that they had purchased more comfortable boats.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, Irwin