Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-06-2013, 09:23   #16

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: IP 31 vs Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
The IP 31's are nice boats . I think the '88's have stainless ports and a few other upgrades from the older IP's.

If a 1988 IP 31 is the same price as a 1993 Catalina 36 ..you see which one is going to hold its value better. Island Packet has very good customer support also.
I would question this logic. I don't know the new purchase price of either boat but I suspect that the Island Packet was originally close to twice as much as the Catalina. I based this on the current prices of the C355 ($180K) and the IP 360 ($350K). An 88 C36 is still $40-55K compared to $55-65K for an 88 IP31. So it's highly likely that the Catalina has held it's value much better than the IP.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:34   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I would question this logic. I don't know the new purchase price of either boat but I suspect that the Island Packet was originally close to twice as much as the Catalina. I based this on the current prices of the C355 ($180K) and the IP 360 ($350K). An 88 C36 is still $40-55K compared to $55-65K for an 88 IP31. So it's highly likely that the Catalina has held it's value much better than the IP.

Excellent point, plus I would add that Catalina owners enjoy generally very good factory support (the founder Frank Butler used to personally respond to owner questions and complaints), as well as a huge Owners group that provide additional benefits.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:54   #18

Quote:

I was responding to a previous post stating you could get a 1993 C36 for the same money. BTW...a 1988 IP 31 was only around $73k new.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew View Post
Narrowed it down between these two boats for island hopping the Caribbean for 6 - 7 months at a stretch.

The Cat offers more living space but the IP offers more quality, no balsa in the deck. Both are shallow draft, the Cat will be better in light air, but the IP is stiffer.

So, given just the idea of buying on of these two boats for the purpose given, which would you pick?
Not sure if your comment means you've narrowed it down to 2 boat models or down to 2 specific boats. If you are limiting yourself to only island hopping, then the extra room in the larger boat will probably make you more comfortable. If you are picking between 2 specific boats, then the better maintained and equipped one may be the better choice. Its true that you spend most of your cruising time at anchor, it also true that a lot of that time is doing boat maintenance.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38   #20

Never sailed a IP 31, but I still own a 29ft Swedish sailing vessel, great boat, solid and fast sailing.

2 months ago we bought a Catalina 36 mkii, best decision ever!! fast, reliable, roomy and the open transom with the shower is a delight. Not to mention the comfort that comes with the extra space.

additionally there is a great support community with huge amount of documentation on servicing, repairing and upgrading the boat.

Regards
Andres
Old 07-06-2013, 13:04   #21

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
I was responding to a previous post stating you could get a 1993 C36 for the same money.
Understood. But it still doesn't make logical sense. Was the cost of Catalina 36 more, less or equal to that of and IP 31 in 1988? I say it is highly likely it cost more, and a good deal more. So if you compare the two, the IP has very likely lost a much larger percent of it's original value. So the Catalina would hold it's value better.

Quote:
BTW...a 1988 IP 31 was only around $73k new.
I would question that price. Adjusted for inflation that's only $143K. You can't buy a 36 foot LOA boat new for $146K right now. And IP is selling their current 36 foot LOA for $350K.
Old 07-06-2013, 15:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The C36 is no race boat! Mainesail has addressed the quality issues either here or on sailnet. Many have bulkheads that are not tabbed and cabinetry that is screwed in, not bolted. For me the IP is just too slow under sail.
Good luck!
But I still bought and owned 3 Catalina's including a C-36, which is a great boat for the money. Would I buy one to cross ponds? Simple answer, no.

For the OP's intended purpose the C-36 is a great boat. It is funny that when looking for our C-36 there was an IP-31 listed here in Maine. Seeing as I have customers with them, and have sailed them, I still bought the C-36 even for more money. My wife did not like the IP at all, she was on-board for all of three minutes before she declared it unsuitable. Often the other half of the equation is the WAF (wife acceptance factor)...

IP's are very well built, I like that, but I am not a huge fan of how they sail.. The Catalina's are built for a purpose and do that well. Are corners cut to save costs, yes of course, but they have still held up very well to the test of time...

We now own a boat built to a much more robust standard but would have no qualms with another C-36 for island hopping or coastal cruising. I really like the C-42 as an island cruiser too. Lots of boat for the money so you can cruise longer on your cruising kitty....

As others have said the OP will have to make up his own mind because both boats are very, very different...
Old 07-06-2013, 15:14   #23

Quote:
Where did you get those prices? Are they ASKING prices, or actual sales prices.
Old 07-06-2013, 20:14   #24

Boat: Island Packet 35
All great points....Consider expected resale values when you're done.

IP without a doubt
Old 07-06-2013, 23:02   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Excellent point, plus I would add that Catalina owners enjoy generally very good factory support (the founder Frank Butler used to personally respond to owner questions and complaints), as well as a huge Owners group that provide additional benefits.
This would imply that Catalina owners need factory support due to issues mentioned earlier regarding bulkheads not tabbed or cabinetry not properly fastened. I have talked to a lot of IP owners who are very happy with their vessels. My guess is you had a price limit and both came in about the same.
The IP 31 and HR35, pencil out about the same. I can tell you that the HR sails just fine. To use PHRF ratings is just silly for your intent of use. That said, since I,m partial to modified full keel boats, I would have to go with the IP.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
... To use PHRF ratings is just silly for your intent of use......
What rating do you think would be better? An owners unbiased opinion? PHRF gives you a good, not perfect, first cut comparison between boats in an average range of conditions. If the PHRF indicates the boat is a dog, no owners glowing anecdotes about how well she sails on a beam reach is going to change the reality.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:35   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Like most responders have said, space below is really important if you are planning to be aboard for extended periods of time.
I spend 3-4 months a year full time coastal cruising. 25% of the time my wife is with me. 75% of the time I am single handing. By the end of the season my 33 footer is feeling quite cramped.
Personally I would go for the Catalina. Nothing against IP's. I think that they are quite nice and very well built. The Catalina would not only offer more comfort but would also offer better sailing performance and broader market appeal for resale..
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53   #28

Boat: Island Packet 35
PHRF is all around assessment given a racing crew. In cruising there are so many more factors to consider...yacht tenderness to be one.

If you want a rating to compare I personally would look at sa/d and or length/d ratios.

It sucks sailing your house hard at 15+ degrees to save 1-2 hrs on a long trip. The cleanup will take longer than that.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

No doubt here...IP all the way. I have sailed on both. But, having said this, please consider the IP 32, if you can afford it. We love ours.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04   #30
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew View Post
Narrowed it down between these two boats for island hopping the Caribbean for 6 - 7 months at a stretch.

The Cat offers more living space but the IP offers more quality, no balsa in the deck. Both are shallow draft, the Cat will be better in light air, but the IP is stiffer.

So, given just the idea of buying on of these two boats for the purpose given, which would you pick?
The Catalina!

Which do you plan to do more of:
1 - sail in bad conditions (get the IP)
2 - enjoy island hopping and staying on the boat (get the Catalina)

Tags
catalina

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: