Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2009, 11:59   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
would recommend you stretch your budget and look at the IP31 if you like the island packets. good luck with your search.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:34   #17

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
I think the aft cabin is just for sleeping. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the boats you mention. mostly it will be what pulls at your heart strings the most. Also I think it would be easy to add an outboard bracket on the stern of a Norsea, not as easy but very doable. At one point I was looking at all the boats you are. I ended up with an enginelss 22' Falmouth Cutter. Had her for 16 years and sailed her far and wide....had a ball!

Trying to decide which boat is almost as fun as owning her.
Good luck!

Wow! A BCC!and a Falmouth Cutter! You have owned every small cruiser that exist. If you tell me you also owned a Flicka 20 I will really hate you!
Old 17-06-2009, 15:43   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I think crumudgeon is on to something, the Shannon is a spectacular vessel and I think there was one for around 50 (but don't hold me to it).

Coincidently, our IP assisted a norsea with engine trouble in the middle of the gulf. My mechanic friend hoped over to the norsea to help. While they tried to get the engine to work we sailed side by side for about three hours. We stayed on as comfortable tack as possible. The seas were a bit sloppy and the winds about 7-10 knots. The IP seemed better in those light winds, the norsea tended to wallow. It could be that they were not really trying to sail the norsea, but when everyone got back on their respective boats we sailed on together and the IP still seemed to behave better.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 13:22   #19

Boat: ISLAND PACKET 32
Of the many boats in this discussion, having owned the Orion 27, I'd say it is the most seaworthy and most comfortable to be on with rough seas. The IP is too light for blue water. The Orion did 4 cross Caribbean sails and stayed with two other much larger boat from Isla Blanqilla, Venezuela to St Croix. While it's still a heavy boat for its overall length, it did fine on the Chesapeake with a drifter to get it moving in light airs. I have an IP 32 now and still wish I could afford a comparable sized Pacific Seacraft.
hope this helps!
tiquelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47   #20

Re: IP 27 vs Pacific Seacraft Orion

please tell me dear captains.I'm interested in what the real in fact the ceiling height on the island packet 27, my height is 6.1,I think it's important that would not hit my head,and go crouching, mainly from the galley and main saloon,a folding table.please tell me this boat will be comfortable for the height of the ceiling, and will be very uncomfortable because of the height of the ceiling? how much actual height,has anyone measured it,or maybe you, too, 6.1,and you first-person can tell you everything...I really like this boat and I really want it,know it and travel,but there is no way in the real world to see her and to check all details interested in me..thank you for your answers and guidance.God bless you
konstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:30   #21

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Hi
this is an old thread but thought to take advantage of people with experience on the IP 27.
I like the boat and have considered but after looking at one was put off by the lack of a deeper chain locker and that was the end.
Has anybody came up with a solution,as it stands now cannot figure a way to carry a length of at least 120 ft chain.
thank you for your time.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 14:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Another 'Bluewater' boat to consider is the Vancouver 27. Was aboard one in Kona that the owner had cruised the East Coast and Carribean with from Eastern Canada. He was on his way to their home in Vancouver, BC. They were so happy with the boat that rather than sell it when forced to spend time ashore, they opted to sail the boat solo from the Carribean to their home in BC. Was amazed at the thoughtful layout and storage capacity of the boat. Assume the boat sailed well as the sail from the Carribean was strictly a delivery trip.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft