Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 07:11   #61

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

Lol sailorboy

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 07:19   #62

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
A plan to battle pot brain with math while sailing non stop around the world on a old boat design.

Just checking if I understand the thread or/and whether I need more pot or math.
Given the extremely accurate perception displayed in your reading of the content here in. You should lean towards more pot...you can do the math later.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 08:37   #63

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
A plan to battle pot brain with math while sailing non stop around the world on a old boat design.

Just checking if I understand the thread or/and whether I need more pot or math.
+1 and who do you think that is going to enter this race except retired hippies and old chaps on a nostalgia trip? Do you thing a sportsman would want to race a very slow old shoe around the globe?

Anyway the boats are so slow and easy that they have to have a way to pass the time. It took 313 days to Knox-Johnston and he was a hell of a sailor, a sportsman and was really racing. I wonder how much time it will take to the kind of sailors that will be participating in this?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:21   #64
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
+1 and who do you think that is going to enter this race except retired hippies and old chaps on a nostalgia trip? Do you thing a sportsman would want to race a very slow old shoe around the globe?

Anyway the boats are so slow and easy that they have to have a way to pass the time. It took 313 days to Knox-Johnston and he was a hell of a sailor, a sportsman and was really racing. I wonder how much time it will take to the kind of sailors that will be participating in this?
There is so much wrong with this post on so many levels, its hard not to think its a troll.... oh wait, its Paulo so its just ignorance.

There has been a lot of interest shown in the race. The older full keel designs are a perfect vehicle for such an adventure. I would love to see a modern lightweight boat (such as Paulos) try to do this. The old "modern boats can outrun the weather" would count for nothing. No freeze dried means heavy stores. No weather information means be prepared for anything.

One think Paulo might be right about is the older design boats are easy ...compared with a lightweight skimming dish. That means survival, comfort and enjoyment levels are increased.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:35   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
There is so much wrong with this post on so many levels, its hard not to think its a troll.... oh wait, its Paulo so its just ignorance.

There has been a lot of interest shown in the race. The older full keel designs are a perfect vehicle for such an adventure. I would love to see a modern lightweight boat (such as Paulos) try to do this. The old "modern boats can outrun the weather" would count for nothing. No freeze dried means heavy stores. No weather information means be prepared for anything.

One think Paulo might be right about is the older design boats are easy ...compared with a lightweight skimming dish. That means survival, comfort and enjoyment levels are increased.
Ignorance yes you certainly know more about outdated old poor performance sailing boats boats than me.

Regarding interest out of old nostalgic guys that only dream, let's see how many will actually turn up on the race and regarding boat effectiveness for the purpose, let's see how many finish the race and let's see in how much time (if someone manages to finish it).

Regarding light modern relatively small boats not being able to the do a circumnavigation race I leave you with two videos that are better than words, one with a small 22ft mini racer that had done it without stop by the three capes in 268 days, less 45 days that sir Robin in his much bigger old shoe.

And even if it is not a good time we have the first Chinese that circumnavigated solo, on a 40class racer (that you can have in several cruising versions). He had done it by the three capes and without stooping in 137 days, less 176 days!!!! than Sir Robin in his heavy full keel old designed boat:

And can you explain me why someone would like to want to carry heavy stores in a race? We are talking about a race, not cruising.
Old 25-04-2015, 12:46   #66

I too find the GGR challenge very interesting and do intend to follow it. I see nothing wrong with the rules and can easily recognize the endeavor as a legitimate race.
I also find the remarks by POLUX and some others as completely predictable. POLUX wonders why Sir Robin did not choose to sail a full keeled boat in his last RTW. How about because it was a race for 60 footers and allowed for all of the equipment that $ could buy.
There are virtually no 32' modern sail boats that can carry 3000+#s of gear and provisions in a way that will not seriously hamper there performance. It is impossible. Take away the autopilot and it becomes "virtually" impossible. In fact, with their fat arses dragging, they are slower and more dangerous than the heavier designed boat in the first place. Go do some test POLUX. Put 18 of your friends on the 32 footer of your choice, equally spaced, and tell us how the boat performed. In 3k of wind and 50k of wind. Its an easy test if you have 18 friends or 3000+#s of stuff.
Both of the videos you posted POLUX - as usual - do not show boats as they would be configured for the GGR. Remember, no auto pilots, no nav equipment, no freeze dried food, 36' limit. IMO, some peoples ignorance concerning a boat in "displacement" mode is only exceeded by their exaggeration concerning modern boats.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 13:22   #67
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

I find it quite revealing that the most modern 22' boat with exotic equipment and material, including all weather information available, with an experienced sailor at the helm is only slightly faster than a wooden boat with a design at least 100 years old. The old wood boat reproduced in exotic materials, with all routing and weather information available would almost certainly have a better time than the more modern design.

One other thing captain obvious, otherwise known as Polux or Paulo on Sailnet, you are right that I know more about these old design boats than you do as I own one and its performance is very respectable. I'm not going to attempt to educate you on these matters as, if you look up the definition of the word obtuse in the dictionary there will be a picture of a fellow in a speedo taking a selfie somewhere in Portugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:23   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

I have sailed both the light racing boat and the long keel heavy displacement boat. To me, the light boat is the one that is easier to sail. I also find the light racing boat more comfortable. The sole exception is going slowly upwind in heavy weather - about the only situation when the cruising boat is the place to be.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 21:03   #69

Barnakiel, thanks for your reply. I always appreciate your input. As a delivery skipper, I sail far more modern, light weight, boats than full keeled, heavy boats. I do prefer the heavier boat however. and I want to emphasize that that preference is way greater when referring to the Smaller sizes of Ocean voyaging boats. On occasions, I have delivered new, empty boats for a client or broker, but also delivered that exact boat or sister ship back from a one way voyage by the owner. The difference is that that same boat may now have 3000 pounds of cruising stuff on it. The boat does not sail, or handle, or feel the same as when it was empty. It is also way slower.
As GWB stated earlier, the choice of boat type for the GGR is a good choice in my opinion. At 32', an old, heavy, full keeled, well built, boat, need not be any slower than the new modern design when under taking the endeavor as the rules state. In fact, in my opinion, they would be the superior performer. Thanks
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 03:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
There are virtually no 32' modern sail boats that can carry 3000+#s of gear and provisions in a way that will not seriously hamper there performance. It is impossible. Take away the autopilot and it becomes "virtually" impossible. In fact, with their fat arses dragging, they are slower and more dangerous than the heavier designed boat in the first place. ....
View the movies again. One of them is a much smaller 22ft boat, very light, it could carry everything it needed to do a solo non stop circumnavigation and even so it was 45 days faster then the winner of the last Golden Globe race on his heavy full keeler.

This is a race, not cruising so i don't understand why the boats have to be loaded with more then what it takes for one to do the race, including the type of food you carry.

Regarding my opinion, for the content of this thread is far from being lonely. I respect other opinions (even if I do not agree with them) so I suggest you respect mine.

I see no interest in this race you see a big interest on it, soon we will see who is right.

We will see how many boats will start this race and most of all how many will finish it and among those (if any) how many days or years will take them. Then we can talk about the interest of this race and about the performance of old designed full keel boats compared with the performance of modern ones while racing circumnavigating by the three capes.

I cannot waite
Old 26-04-2015, 03:53   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
I find it quite revealing that the most modern 22' boat with exotic equipment and material, including all weather information available, with an experienced sailor at the helm is only slightly faster than a wooden boat with a design at least 100 years old. The old wood boat reproduced in exotic materials, with all routing and weather information available would almost certainly have a better time than the more modern design.

... if you look up the definition of the word obtuse in the dictionary there will be a picture of a fellow in a speedo taking a selfie somewhere in Portugal.
You cannot discuss in a polite way? what's the matter with you?

"the most modern 22' boat with exotic equipment and material", no it was not the most modern it was just an old mini racer that was not competitive anymore at mini racing. That's funny that you call exotic equipment and material to what is just modern and slightly outdated sailing racing equipment. We are talking about racing here.

Sir Robin boat was an William Atkins design. William died in 1962 and the boat was built in 1963.

You find not relevant that a modern light 22ft boat is able to win 45 days on a circumnavigation to a much bigger 32ft old design heavy full keeled boat over a circumnavigation?

In the first place I have heard from the old heavy full keller unconditional lovers that a modern boat of that size could not carry the load to do it and if carried that way it would be slower than an heavy boat of the same size. Forget about that?

Then the much smaller boat was not only much faster as it has done half of his circumnavigation with a jury rig. I wonder how many days it would have won (over the 45) if he had not done half way with a jury rig?

He lost the rig on a big storm. Note that I find very dangerous to attempt a non stop circumnavigation (not choosing the weather) by the Horn, sailing on high latitudes, on a 22ft boat, being it a modern or an old designed one.
Old 26-04-2015, 05:13   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

[QUOTE=GWB;1809776 I'm not going to attempt to educate you on these matters as, if you look up the definition of the word obtuse in the dictionary there will be a picture of a fellow in a speedo taking a selfie somewhere in Portugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]
OIIIIIiiii... !!
Leave it out... someone else took that picture... I was to busy playing with my balls to do it...
And Polux.. if you check it out.. RKJ had his boat built in India with his retirement money from the army and his only previous long distance sailing before the race was sailing Suhali back to the UK from India.. and he only won courtesy of Motessier..
Mind.. he is a bit of a legend never the less..
As for Gin Tankage... Havana Club 7yr old or the deals off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:31   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. and he [RKJ] only won courtesy of Motessier..

I beg to differ, RKJ won courtesy of....nobody.

Where others broke mast (Loïc Fougeron) or hull (Tetley), Moitessier broke mentally, did not have the stamina to make it to port.

Instead, retreated bravely (in the typical french way), turned tail only to be seen next some six months after in Tahiti, or some remote atoll nearby.

Then turned up an obscure former Navy officer by the name of Eric Tabarly...but that's another story...

Moitessier was quickly forgotten by the main stream medias.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:40   #74

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

While the ongoing argument about the limits on boat choice for the race has gone on and on, I have not seen a post from a user intent on doing the race.

I'm guessing that the type of person considering such a lonesome and arduous task would not be after fame. The purse is certainly not a fortune.

I wonder why they are not allowing Tri's?

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 26-04-2015, 07:53   #75
cruiser

A race to find out who will be the least slowest.... how uninteresting. Yawn. Kinda like the opposite of Formula 1 and about as interesting as watching paint dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watching-paint-dry-5.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	100959  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water