Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 04:17   #1

Instruments set to True or Apparent wind?

DO says true, DR says apparent. Plus a great pub at Hillhead.

https://youtu.be/Gmixvf9Ykmc

Thoughts?
daverebbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 23:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Instruments set to True or Apparent wind?

No spare data to watch the u tube, but we have friends who work in true, and we usually operate in apparent, but occasionally check the true, so you might catch us switching back and forth. Of course, you trim your sails to the apparent wind, but use the telltales to tell you when you have it right.

Ann
Old 26-02-2018, 11:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

To answer the question since Memsahib looks at the wind speed I will switch it between apparent and true to give the lowest reading so she thinks its calmer than it might actually be.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
To answer the question since Memsahib looks at the wind speed I will switch it between apparent and true to give the lowest reading so she thinks its calmer than it might actually be.

Pete

Ha ha. You have given away your age Pete. That is the sort of wisdom that only comes with a certain number of years.
daverebbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 15:46   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Apparent generally most useful for trimming and an autopilot, but true useful for knowing what’s really happening (eg preparing to reef or unreef at the next course change) or for your autopilot if you have lots of accelerations and decelerations, say on swells. If you keep a written log, you’ll want true speed and direction.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Like Ann, generally on Apparent, but periodically flick over to True to confirm conditions, especially when thinking about a change of direction.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:39   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Most of the time my instruments show 'True', because that is what is really happening. However when another (racing) sailor(s) is/are on board invariably it goes to 'Apparent', just to trim the sails better to get that extra 0.2 knots. I just admire those guys: easing and pulling, looking, checking, easing and pulling some other ropes, ad infinitum, while I sit back, sip my hot coffee, very content, and indeed learning some new things all the time.
Old 26-02-2018, 16:40   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

I like true because it's something I didn't know without the gauge, apparent is all around you, the masthead fly, the flag, wind on your face, chop on the surface, telltales etc. Press the button and compare after trim or course changes a lot. Having true for the gauge and apparent from the masthead lessens the tendency to overtrim for myself.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:57   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Same as Ann and others; mostly apparent, but occasionally flip to true just to check things. Apparent is what matters most of the time for the boat. And it’s pretty easy to know what the True is using Apparent and boat velocity vector.
Old 28-02-2018, 15:45   #10
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Apparent.

Especially since I found out true relies on the paddle wheel speedo that is either not in, fouled, not calibrated, etc

Furthermore, it Turns out that GPS speed is not the correct 'definition' and is not updated 'fast' enough
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 18:08   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I have analog wind gauges, no digital outputs to link in. Same is true of my knotmeter.

The times I've tried to calibrate my paddle wheel knotmeter using my GPS on a lake with no current on a no wind day motoring with the autopilot, it is very obvious that there is non linearity. I can pick one speed where the two match up, then at any other speed they don't.

Then there's the fact that the paddlewheel is not mounted on the centerline of the boat, so when I'm sailing heeled over there are different speeds on different tacks.

Even if I had the ability to get true data, I wouldn't trust it.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:57   #12

Boat: Oyster 55

I honestly doubt "most" cruising boats wind instruments are accurate enough to really believe TW readings. Therefore AW is fine. However on Race boats with calibrated instruments knowing the TWA when sailing DDW with a Kite is a godsend. Much can be gained when knowing your angles and it will give you a great advantage. Much more difficult than going upwind. At one time in my life TW was very important.....now I don't care and much happier.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 13:14   #13
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Apparent.

Especially since I found out true relies on the paddle wheel speedo that is either not in, fouled, not calibrated, etc
Very true, same here.

But caradow has a good point. When sailing downwind with a kite, a reliable TWA is great. I don't have that reliability (yet) but I am really looking forward to upgrading my instruments & AP. And when I finally trust those equipments I will get a nap DDW !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 15:24   #14

Boat: Allures 44

My 2 cents, on a boat that is otherwise well equipped electronically, we chose to not have wind instruments at all except for the wind vane at the top of the mast.

I have never regretted this decision to save on costs, mast cabling etc. In my opinion if you have been sailing a while and know your boat there are plenty of indicators you can use to determine the wind speed and angle. Without instruments you quickly learn to take note of the ripples and waves on the water, the wind on your face, the pressure in the boat, a flag on the sidestay.

Wind instruments are the most redundant instrumentation on the boat and not worth the cost in my opinion.
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 17:06   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Apparent wind angle, true wind speed. Most cruisers are not that concerned with TWA downwind, because they aren't going that fast and they don't have spinnakers up.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wind