Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-04-2016, 17:18   #1

Boat: 1969 cal 34'
Installing holding tank in a cal 34?

I have discovered that there is no holding tank supplied with my recently purchased Cal 34, there is a portapot on board now, but we are planning on living aboard and will need something better,any one heard of someone making the change,I find it hard to believe that there isn't a holding tank, but i sure cant find one , also I have taken the Transmission out and The Damper plate and components were trashed,so I purchased new,but found to my dismay that the bellhousing was cracked in several places along the bottom side and will have to be replaced or is it possible to have it welded? as always I thank you for any advice or general information........all other systems seem to be good and usable

Old 04-04-2016, 18:18   #2
vjm

Re: Installing holding tank in a cal 34?

Check out the C-Head, Nature's Head, and AirHead. Very much lived by virtually all users, including liveaboards. You get to use all the room that would have been taken up by a tank and hoses for storage, install is super easy, and no more of the common head issues.

Old 04-04-2016, 19:00   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipervenom View Post
I have discovered that there is no holding tank supplied with my recently purchased Cal 34, there is a portapot on board now, but we are planning on living aboard and will need something better,any one heard of someone making the change,I find it hard to believe that there isn't a holding tank, but i sure cant find one , also I have taken the Transmission out and The Damper plate and components were trashed,so I purchased new,but found to my dismay that the bellhousing was cracked in several places along the bottom side and will have to be replaced or is it possible to have it welded? as always I thank you for any advice or general information........all other systems seem to be good and usable
Is the bell housing aluminum or cast iron? More important is why did it have cracks in the first place? Can't think of too many things that might cause cracks in it other than possibly wrapping the prop at full power, improper initial installation, or some clown tightening the bolts on it when it wasn't properly seated or aligned.
If it's aluminum welding is no problem as long as it isn't deformed.
Cast iron is another story, not too many welding outfits these days know how to properly weld cast iron and those that do charge accordingly. Cast has to be pre-heated in an oven, welded then put back in a high temp oven to sit over 24 to 48 hours and slowly come back down to temp. Otherwise it just produces more cracks. Probably cheaper to replace it if it's cast iron.
There are a number of companies that make plastic tanks in all shapes and sizes, even some that will make custom shapes, I'd stay away from aluminum or stainless tanks, they can get pocket corrosion if they sit in the bottom of a boat where there will be water underneath. Usually once you've picked out a spot on your boat to mount it you can find a pre-made tank that will fit your needs with a little custom work to support it. Try to mount one as close to the head as possible and don't go cheap when plumbing the vent, use as large a vent fitting as possible to keep odors under control.
The one in my current boat is made from fiberglass and was formed right into the hull by using some of the stringers and runners near the engine compartment, it doesn't leak but I feel it will eventually need to be re-sealed or lined with a bladder.
Old 04-04-2016, 19:30   #4

hey VJM, I Looked up the natures head already and both the wife and I really like it and the idea of no water or plumbing issues,I will check into the other company's also......Thanks for the tip
Old 04-04-2016, 19:35   #5

hey lifeofriley.........It is Aluminum,And I will be checking on some plces to see if they can weld it, how it happened? haven't a clue except maybe when the damper plate went bad and a lot of the springs and nuts inside got chewed up, or could have been mishandled somewhere along the line since 1969, thank you for the tips on holding Tanks and options,We are looking into composting Toilets also

Thank you for your response,always impressed how you guys are so helpful.
Old 04-04-2016, 20:05   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

For a holding tank what I would do is mount it behind and above the head with the bottom of the tank above the waterline, possibly even the waterline when heeled 15deg. The head would pump into the tank with no Y-valve. The tank would be plumbed to the discharge thru-hull to it could gravity drain to the sea as well as be pumped out. See the following:

Wilkie's Sailboat Page

Are you going coastal or are you going to go offshore? If I were going offshore in a Cal34.1 or .2 I would pull the vanity sink and put the head there. That way it can be used with the door closed without impeding access to the V-berth and the old location for the head becomes shelves and adds to available storage. Offshore you don't really need the vanity sink as much as you need the added storage. At least that's my take.
Old 04-04-2016, 20:10   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
hey VJM, I Looked up the natures head already and both the wife and I really like it and the idea of no water or plumbing issues,I will check into the other company's also......Thanks for the tip
Check into the C-head also. I have an airhead and love it, I will never have a standard marine head/holding tank again.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:50   #8

I used a Ronco Plastics tank in my Cal 31 with good success. Ronco has a lot of shapes to choose from. I would make a cardboard mock-up of any tank and test it in the proposed space before buying any tank. You can figure out where you want the hoses also using a mock-up. As another poster stated plastic tanks are the way to go if you decide to use a traditional holding tank system. A couple of my friends have tried composting heads and are not really happy with them.
Old 05-04-2016, 14:33   #9

Thanks for all the information I now have enough ideas to get a grip on this, I am really liking the idea of the compost head, but I will have to do some more investigating,once again you guys are awesome when it comes to offering advice,My thanks to all who have submitted solutions for me.

One day I may be able to offer some help in return.
Old 05-04-2016, 14:38   #10

Adeile...we are coastal cruising only,and plan on live aboard, sailing the Chesapeak Bay and doing the I C W maybe down to the keys in Fla. Thank you for the suggestions
Old 05-04-2016, 14:44   #11
vjm

Quote:
Thanks for all the information I now have enough ideas to get a grip on this, I am really liking the idea of the compost head, but I will have to do some more investigating,once again you guys are awesome when it comes to offering advice,My thanks to all who have submitted solutions for me.

One day I may be able to offer some help in return.

There is a massive thread in the Plumbing subforum you can check out. Covers 100% of everything anyone would want to know about them.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2016, 16:52   #12

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
For a holding tank what I would do is mount it behind and above the head with the bottom of the tank above the waterline, possibly even the waterline when heeled 15deg. The head would pump into the tank with no Y-valve. The tank would be plumbed to the discharge thru-hull to it could gravity drain to the sea as well as be pumped out. See the following:

Wilkie's Sailboat Page

Are you going coastal or are you going to go offshore? If I were going offshore in a Cal34.1 or .2 I would pull the vanity sink and put the head there. That way it can be used with the door closed without impeding access to the V-berth and the old location for the head becomes shelves and adds to available storage. Offshore you don't really need the vanity sink as much as you need the added storage. At least that's my take.
definately this one.. This is what I did with mine. I had enough room to put a 25 ltr tank behind my vanity unit. But sometime In the future I might increase this to a 45 ltr. No need for a Y-valve as your toilet line goes direclty into the storage tank. Usually we just have the seacock open all the time but if you close it, then your using the storage tank. Because we have a sink plumbed into the same line I needed to install a small 1" valve under the sink so that when we are using the holding tank sewage doesn't back up into the sink. I'm basically just doing coastal cruising. So this set up fullfill requirements for a holding tank ideally. And no stuffing around with a Y valve.

The tank I used was a Vestus. They do both horizontal and vertical tanks that bolt to the wall. I used a Vertical tank. I plumbed in a deck pump out too, but with no deck pump outs here, it's pretty useless.

Tags
cal, holding tank

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: