Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
With higher winds the problem is not with sail area because you can reef to match wind conditions with both options. No, the problem is drag, which is converted into heel. Whenever a sailshape starts to differ from the perfect ellips, you get drag. Some vertical battens can make that better for in-mast but they come with a whole other load of problems of their own. They even tried inflatable battens

Oh gawd, here we go with this drivel again....

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There are lots of threads on this here. Read them and you will find that some like in mast furling some do not and no one is going to change their mind.

I've had both furling and not.

What kind of sailor are you? Coastal? Not given to sailing in force 8,9,10unless by accident? Don't particularly care about the last half knot of speed?

Get a furling rig. You'll love it for ease, etc.

If you do care about the other things and you will sail in very rough conditions, think about a Dutchman system. Almost as easy as in mast furling without any of the issues.

Selden makes a good furling system. But try chartering a boat with one to see if you like it

I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you search the archives you will find about 20,000 different opinions, all passionately held

I have had both, and personally don't share any of the passionate opinions. Both systems have their own pros and cons. The only thing I can tell you is that the pros for in-mast furling look better and better, the larger the boat, and conversely, the smaller the boat, the less sense it makes. So for a boat that size, I would definitely not bother with it, myself. Slab reefing, full battens, and lazy jacks, is the way I would go, on any boat under 40'. Bigger than that, and I might have to think a while.

Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

furler, mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: