Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2016, 23:44   #1

Boat: Kaufman 47
Information wanted for Kaufman 47

We are looking at a Kaufman 47 at present. Does Anyone have any information which might be useful in the decision making process ??
Thanks in Advance
Peter Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 02:12   #2

Boat: Workin' on it
Re: Information wanted for Kaufman 47

No personal experience but notable sailing author John Kretschmer owns one.

From his website: John Kretschmer Sailing - Bluewater Boats

Kaufman 47 - Any of you who know me or read my stuff know that Quetzal, my much loved boat, is a Kaufman 47. I have sailed her 66,000 miles in the last six years including four transatlantic passages. We've sailed the length and breath of the Med several times, around the Caribbean, and north to Newfoundland. The boat sails brilliantly. We've averaged 150 miles a day through it all, and don't motor much. Mike Kaufman's hull shape is a cross between a Beneteau 456 and a Hylas 49. I have always loved the low slung, powerful look of Kaufman and Ladd designs. Think of the Skye 51 and the Albin Nimbus as other examples. The Kaufman 47 is well balanced making it easy on the autopilot and also sails great with just a headsail, an effortless way to cross oceans. The hull has endured a pounding, including a punch on the chin from a nasty Italian tornado. We've ridden out three major deep-sea gales, major as in force 9 and 10 major. Oh yes, Quetzal has her quirks, but what boat doesn't. The Kaufman 49 is the same boat with a reverse transom. And there's no denying it that the Kaufman 47 was inspired by the S&S Swan 47. Side by side they're hard to tell apart. One way is the cockpit, the Kaufman's is much more comfortable.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:20   #3

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: Information wanted for Kaufman 47

Extremely beautiful and capable boat.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: