Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 04:57   #46

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Info on new yacht

Not sure that the electric approach is very reasonable. You won't be very popular in crowded anchorages when the power fails the first time and a large steel boat comes plowing into the field with limited manoeuvrability.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:15   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Not sure that the electric approach is very reasonable. You won't be very popular in crowded anchorages when the power fails the first time and a large steel boat comes plowing into the field with limited manoeuvrability.

We discussing my yacht or my mooring skills?

@GrowleyMonster
You're showing exactly how little i know on the subject
These are things i must investigate before making firm decisions (or statements) on.
vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:17   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

Actually an electric boat has greater maneuverability. Maneuverability is not one of the drawbacks of electric, which there are a few. Maneuverability is one of electric's strengths. The biggest downside is range, typically, and the huge bank that most users would need.
Old 28-08-2019, 05:44   #49

Boat: Beneteau

No. We're discussing my stress levels if I'm in that mooring. ��
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:51   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Coming late to the discussion but a couple of thoughts.

It would be real nice to ID the designer. To do that it would be helpful to do a few things.
Provide the basic measurements such as LOD, LOA, LWL, beam.
Deck steeped or keel stepped.

A side view of the entire boat from the middle. Stand back a good bit, don’t crowd the picture. The idea is to capture the shear lines. Shear lines can be distinctive of a particular designer.
Also tru to get some bow and aft quarter shots. Again with some perspective. Looking for hull shape.

Some boat designs can be made hard chine or rounded, builders choice.

Do you have any idea of the underwater profile? I’m assuming a long full keel and barn door rudder but could be wrong.

You want to get some idea of displacement. A start would be to try to figure out the metal thickness. 1/8”, 10gage, 3mm, 3.5mm, 3/16? You sail there was some welding done recently. Run down the welder and see what he can tell you.

We have an Alan PAPE SteelMaid, 44’ LOD. She is right around 40,000 lbs cruising weight, 36,000 lbs design displacement.

She is painted white, any little tiny insignificant speck of rust will scream its presence. And fresh paint can cover a lot of rust. Don’t let first impressions scare you but you need to do some due diligence YOURSELF. It’s a rare and expensive survey to find the true state of a steel boat. Best to spend lots of time in akward places.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 06:23   #51

Quote:
No. We're discussing my stress levels if I'm in that mooring. ��
Hi honey, i'm home.

Old 28-08-2019, 06:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Coming late to the discussion but a couple of thoughts.

It would be real nice to ID the designer. To do that it would be helpful to do a few things.
Provide the basic measurements such as LOD, LOA, LWL, beam.
Deck steeped or keel stepped.

A side view of the entire boat from the middle. Stand back a good bit, don’t crowd the picture. The idea is to capture the shear lines. Shear lines can be distinctive of a particular designer.
Also tru to get some bow and aft quarter shots. Again with some perspective. Looking for hull shape.

Some boat designs can be made hard chine or rounded, builders choice.

Do you have any idea of the underwater profile? I’m assuming a long full keel and barn door rudder but could be wrong.

You want to get some idea of displacement. A start would be to try to figure out the metal thickness. 1/8”, 10gage, 3mm, 3.5mm, 3/16? You sail there was some welding done recently. Run down the welder and see what he can tell you.

We have an Alan PAPE SteelMaid, 44’ LOD. She is right around 40,000 lbs cruising weight, 36,000 lbs design displacement.

She is painted white, any little tiny insignificant speck of rust will scream its presence. And fresh paint can cover a lot of rust. Don’t let first impressions scare you but you need to do some due diligence YOURSELF. It’s a rare and expensive survey to find the true state of a steel boat. Best to spend lots of time in akward places.
Hi hpeer thanks for this.
Exactly the conclusions i have, trying to find info on the shipyard that built it (sadly now closed down), and ideally the designer.
I'm also asking anyone who may have photos to share them, i believe talking to the local diver will also be very revealing. I'm very curious about that stern shape. I'll have to take her out soon so i'll get some good pics then.
When i get there i'll have my tape measure and *stuff* and try quantify it. The club believes it's about 15ton and 13m long.
She is a thing of beauty and quite extensively restored below, but there are many small spots of rust which need immediate attention.

I'm grateful for the encouragement here, will reward you with 27 8x10 glossy photographs with circles and arrows on the back of each one.

Tags
yacht