Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 20:06   #1

Info on C&C 34+

I have been thinking about purchasing a C&C 34+ for PHRF racing locallyand some coastal cruising with my wife. Maybe a jaunt to the Exumas from SC. No long cruises. I'm curious if there are known issues with these boats that I ought to be alert to as I look at the market.
siffprograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Siff, I would suggest these two issues as a starting point:
-- The rig loads were designed to be accepted and distributed to the hull & deck by the wooden bulkheads, which in turn were tabbed into the deck and hull. Chain plates inevitably leak, and leaking around those plates could (and often did) penetrate and rot out the wood surrounding the chain plate fasteners. The 3 Cal 34 models are all now quite elderly, so I'd start with a careful look at those bulkheads for signs of wood rot and leaks.
-- The unsupported semi-balanced spade rudder, as designed and built, is the typical stainless skeleton, welded to a stainless rudder post and with the whole affair surrounded by foam and glassed over. By now, it's likely to have passed it's 'use by' date. One can haul the boat and look for direct signs of the rudder leaking (meaning the internal structure is absorbing water, and it's leaking out of the rudder and also likely corroding the stainless skeleton and welds) or, if no leaks are apparent, drill a small hole or two on the bottom of the rudder blade and see if water is released (and if so, the same internal damage is likely).

Nice sailing boat, I think. And good for some longer legs and cruising spells, too. But like most boats, only if sound...

Happy shopping...
Old 04-12-2009, 21:13   #3

Euro
Thanks for the helpful comments. I had heard there can be problems in the bulkheads, but not why. Just to be certain we are on the same track with the rudder comment, you say Cal 34 but I asked about C&C 34. I understand those to be different boats. Am I wrong?
siffprograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42   #4

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Ooops, my apologies. I 'saw' Cal 34 when you did indeed ask about C&C 34. However, the comments I made about rudders apply to almost all GRP boats with semi-balanced spade rudders, and certainly the C&C ones. Metal web, welded to a metal rudder post, surrounded with foam and glassed over. If the rudder is attached (pintles and gudgeons) to the aft end of the keel, partially or completely, then the rudder's structure is somewhat different...but the same issues of internal corrosion and ultimately rudder failure can still apply.

Jack
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Hi mate, i own a C&C in the past, i can tell you by experience some points to consider with this particular boat, C&C almost all the models are cored built, below waterline to, you need to survey the hull carefully, C&C are one of the first builders that start cored the hulls and decks and in fact built the hulls very well, another point to consider is the keel , a smile in the forward edge of the keel in most c&c is usual, check the keel bolts and sound the hull around the stub , and recheck the keel bolts for rust , corrosion, keel bolts loose, etc...
Rod Rigging, many C&C come with rod as standar , for racing is wondefull, again check the rigging with a surveyor carefully, some rod rigging need replace every 4 to 5 years , rod break with out warning!!
Main bulkhead around saloon, C&C are made with a pan liner inside of the structure in some models, bulkheads rest in this liners , the bilge in most models is flat, water in the bilge for prolonged time made havoc in the keel shoe and in the main bulkhead close to the mast, check the condition of the bulkheads in the area that are close with the bilge , also some boats are raced hard, and bulkheads shifting from the liner are usual,
Chainplates, and here i agree with Euro cruiser , some C&C have the chainplates bolted to the wood bulkheads, caution here to...
Well some points to remember with c&c , i never forget my old c&c , this boats sail like a dream, have a sweet hull line, beautifull boats, very well made and are fast... Enjoy one of the most canadian boat ever made.
Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, c&c 34