Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: In Mast Furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Hasn't been around as long. Generally boom furling is preferred to in mast.
Thanks, I had assumed it was because most in mast furling boats had been speced that way, that very few had actually been converted, but wondered why new boats weren't speced with boom furling. Boom furling seems to have advantages over in mast furling and I've been wondering why you don't see at least new boats with in boom furling.
I've only seen three disadvantages to it, you have this big fugly boom, and you still have to have a sail cover, boom is heavy with the sail furled so I secure it if I'm motoring
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31   #92
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Thanks, I had assumed it was because most in mast furling boats had been speced that way, that very few had actually been converted, but wondered why new boats weren't speced with boom furling. Boom furling seems to have advantages over in mast furling and I've been wondering why you don't see at least new boats with in boom furling.
I've only seen three disadvantages to it, you have this big fugly boom, and you still have to have a sail cover, boom is heavy with the sail furled so I secure it if I'm motoring

Yes, conversions are very expensive and therefore rare. More and more new boats are indeed set up for in-boom, rather than in-mast.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:05   #93

I think the in boom furler is a real nice option for the owner/sailor but it is not cheap. Performance wise it is superior but it needs an operator that knows what he is doing as most of them are very sensitive to the angle of the boom when furling.
In mast furlers are quite a bit more idiot proof and therefor very popular in the charter market so unless something changes the in mast furlers will be the most popular.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
We are talking cruising here not racing. So we don't care about any rule limitations to sail area, only healing moment to forward thrust. So if a boat with regular reefing will walk away in light conditions.... I assume that mostly a factor of sail area along with the better shape of the non furling main? If so, the sail area issue could be taken care of with a little taller rig for the RF rig. Is it possible to get enough added light wind performance that way to also overcome the shape difference?
Yes, boats like mine (and virtually all larger cruisers made in Europe) which were designed for in-mast furling have taller rigs to stretch the aspect ratio and make up somewhat for the loss of roach.

But a full batten main is still better in light wind -- the shape is better. Roach is a huge factor and we really can't compete, even with a taller rig.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31   #95

No question the large roaches make a huge difference in light air. Almost all of the drive to windward in the main sail is in the last 30% of the main so when you add roach you get a disproportionate amount of additional power.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:36   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I think the in boom furler is a real nice option for the owner/sailor but it is not cheap. Performance wise it is superior but it needs an operator that knows what he is doing as most of them are very sensitive to the angle of the boom when furling.
In mast furlers are quite a bit more idiot proof and therefor very popular in the charter market so unless something changes the in mast furlers will be the most popular.
OK, that makes sense. My boom was set at 90deg and was a real bear to furl or unfurl as the sail and in particular the battens were jammed against the front part of the boom. PO had bought a much larger wench for unfurling and furling and had added a topping lift, but I don't think he understood the system, I'm sure it had a lot to do with him selling the boat.
Boom needs to be at 84deg for the sail to properly furl.
I had assumed the charter boats drive a lot of what is sold in new production boats. It seems the person that buys a new production boats seems to buy what they are familiar with, which of course is what they have chartered.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
... I assume that mostly a factor of sail area along with the better shape of the non furling main? If so, the sail area issue could be taken care of with a little taller rig for the RF rig. Is it possible to get enough added light wind performance that way to also overcome the shape difference?
You will have noticed that Ardoin said there wasn't any point as the Genoa is the real power on his yacht as it is on mine. Increasing the main would just mean reefing it earlier. If you want to increase speed in light airs then a spinnaker or cruising chute is the way to go.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 14:10   #98

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You will have noticed that Ardoin said there wasn't any point as the Genoa is the real power on his yacht as it is on mine. Increasing the main would just mean reefing it earlier. If you want to increase speed in light airs then a spinnaker or cruising chute is the way to go.

Pete
That is certainly true. The taller mast also increases the luff length making the genny more powerful also. Cruising chutes are cool but too much work for me.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 14:44   #99

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43

I was all about getting a in mast furling for out boat but we got, in my opinion, very lucky to get a boat that had in boom furling. I *love* it. We also have a power winch. The big deal for us was that my wife can raise and lower the sail easily, quickly and safely from the cockpit even if I am unable to assist for some reason. It gives her a lot of confidence that she can manage the boat alone should I become sick or injured. Yeah, the boom is huge and heavy but so what? Easy enough to tie it off and control it.

You absolutely have to have the boom angled properly, just a couple of degrees off can make a mess of things but you always have the option of just dropping the sail if you can't roll it up (and easily raising it back up again). The boat in the slip next to us has in-mast and they have expressed great envy over the in boom system.

I really don't see much downside to the in boom furling other than the crazy expense - glad our boat came with it.

Tags
furling, mast