Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 09:34   #1

In a galaxy (marina??) far, far, away....

Sorry to steal the Star Wars line, but as I continue my boat search I occasionally come across interesting boats in other countries which for obvious logistics reasons I've shied away from. However, lately I've been thinking maybe I should give these boats a closer look. And I will say that it's not just the discounted pricing that I find attractive (though that's part of the appeal) but also the possibility of starting our cruising in an interesting locale. So to that end I'd be interested in hearing from folks who purchased a boat in a different country. I've listed some topics below:

How'd you deal with registration purchasing in a foreign country? If you bought a boat in Europe did you buy the boat VAT paid?

What about insurance?

How'd you deal with the boat having a different electrical system (220V vs. 110V)? Or did you buy an "ex-pat" boat with 110V electrics?

Did you have difficulty getting the boat worked on? More or less costly, than boat yards in the states?

Did you eventually sail the boat back to the states?

And finally the bottom line, was it a good experience and would you recommend that other boat buyers consider this option?

TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 11:55   #2

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: In a galaxy (marina??) far, far, away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
Sorry to steal the Star Wars line, but as I continue my boat search I occasionally come across interesting boats in other countries which for obvious logistics reasons I've shied away from. However, lately I've been thinking maybe I should give these boats a closer look. And I will say that it's not just the discounted pricing that I find attractive (though that's part of the appeal) but also the possibility of starting our cruising in an interesting locale. So to that end I'd be interested in hearing from folks who purchased a boat in a different country....
This is an international forum. It would help if you'd mention where in the world you are... But I guess "states" here refers to the USA :-)

Also, there is nothing obvious about the logistics problem that you mention... I'd think it rather comes down to price range. For a $billion boat you'd probably be ready to fly somewhere... but for a $5k boat perhaps not.

Your distance from any international borders may also play a role.

I'm Scandinavian. I bought a yacht in Spain, registered it in Malaysia, insured it in the UK, and shipped it to Thailand. No problem, would do it again.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote