Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 17:21   #16

Re: I'm Going For It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Oh-oh. its starting to sound like you asked for advice, then push back when you don't like it. No offense, but you may want to listen to some of these people, some of them speak from a lot of experience.
I'm sorry if it came off that way, I am just asking questions to try to understand the responses. Relax, I'm definitely here to learn.
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:22   #17

Boat: Watkins 29'

I agree a good engine would be a priority. If you could manage a picture of your motor and mount as it is now, maybe we could come up with suggestions on improving what you have. Does your outboard have the ability to charge your batteries? Do you still have the inboard motor? As far a cockpit cushions, one of my neighbors went to Walmart and bought some lounge chair cushions that worked out pretty well. You can find some decent electronics on craigslist sometimes for a fraction of the cost of new stuff, just be diligent on testing and making sure the equipment works. I would carry a good chart plotter, paper charts and a handheld GPS that runs on AA batteries for backup.
Old 25-02-2014, 19:48   #18

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
I'm Going For It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
And then if they need to motor it would be safe to say that it's because it's too slow for them and not too dangerous?

SS, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:55   #19

Boat: Balboa 27

I'm in La Paz, mexico right now and just met a couple that sailed down from SF in the last couple of months on a grampian 26 with a 6 HP outboard. Don't let all the naysayers tell you what you can't do.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 03:13   #20

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
I'm in La Paz, mexico right now and just met a couple that sailed down from SF in the last couple of months on a grampian 26 with a 6 HP outboard. Don't let all the naysayers tell you what you can't do.

I never said she could not do it. I gave her my opinion of what she should outfit her boat with. That is what she asked for.

And making that trip has nothing to do with boat size. It has everything to do with experience. The questions that Sassy is asking demonstrate her lack of experience and people here have warned her about it. You come along an encourage her to do something she is clearly not ready for.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:23   #21

Hey Sassy, I have the same boat you do and I'm doing the same things you are talking about. I have found that the way our boats are set up it is going to be easiest to put an extra battery or two on board buy a honda whisper 2000 gen. to take care of your power needs since our boats are very simple as far as electronics go unless you have added a lot of stuff. For what you want to do a few paper charts and a couple of really good apps for your iPhone would work(t-mobile works in Mexico ) hand held GPS super cheap now AA batteries. One thing no one has mentioned is an EPIRB!!(for peace of mind) and vessel assist incase your outboard breaks down and plenty of gas. Life line harness ladder are the obvious things you more than likely know about. I live on my boat also and we have tons of storage space so the obvious plenty of food and H2O. I'm in the San Diego area and plan to do the HAHA this year as will several other boats from my harbor. If you want PM me and we can tandem down the coast safety in numbers. Go for it don't let people stop you from what you want to do just do it informed and prepared your boat is a solid boat for going to Mexico.
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftrip View Post
... One thing no one has mentioned is an EPIRB!!(for peace of mind) and vessel assist incase your outboard breaks down and plenty of gas. ...
Actuiall, in my very first post I mention a PLB. Not exactly the same as an EPIRB but all she needs for coastal cruising and less expensive. EPIRB would be overkill.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 26-02-2014, 05:43   #23

I'm Going For It!

True you could look at it as overkill just MO and vessel assist is awesome for coastal CA cruisers. Oh and sassy don't forget to have at least a 4mm wetsuit with you I grew up in Monterey so I know how cold the water is and in a pinch it could save your life.
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:45   #24

Boat: hunter 376

What am I missing here? Advice was asked for, and given, regarding preparations, upgrades, experience level and safety equipment. What naysayers? Where? Who?
Encouraging someone to put to sea in a properly equipped vessel with reasonable training and experience makes you a naysayer? Why else is the OP asking for advice?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
What am I missing here? Advice was asked for, and given, regarding preparations, upgrades, experience level and safety equipment. What naysayers? Where? Who?
Encouraging someone to put to sea in a properly equipped vessel with reasonable training and experience makes you a naysayer? Why else is the OP asking for advice?
You are not missing anything. You read and understand the responses. No one here has told her not to do this. Some have advised her not do this without a little more experience. She can choose to ignore that advice but so far, Sassy's responses are in line with someone truly looking for advice from others more experienced instead of someone looking for confirmation on a decision already made.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 26-02-2014, 06:02   #26

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Definitely post a pic of your outboard and motor mount. And details of the outboard. There are some super long shaft models out there, and mounts that can be raised/lowered to help keep your prop down low.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 06:06   #27

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I sold several of these. Tohatsu MFS6CUL Sailpro 25" shaft 6 hp.

Racing sailors like this one, extra-extra-long shaft.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 08:50   #28

Boat: Boatless
I've seen pictures of outboards on drop down brackets. Looked simple enough.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
SS, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking.

I've heard people motor during the Baja HaHa to get to the next party stop. Someone mentioned needing a motor to get out of the dangers of Baja... so I was guessing from your comment of people motoring that it's not because of the dangers but it's because of the lack of wind in trying to get to the next stop?
Old 26-02-2014, 09:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
I've seen pictures of outboards on drop down brackets. Looked simple enough.

It is on a bracket that drops down, but the prop is just barely under the water enough. I even had to cut an inch and a half off the mount because the water intake wasn't far enough under the water. Any inkling of waves pushes the water intake and propeller out of the water, it makes an awful noise and can easily cause a couple hundred dollars of damage (as I did when I first got the outboard!).