Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 11:17   #46

Re: I'm Going For It!

Hi,

1. Get some more experience sailing in the ocean. Go anchor out in Aquatic Park (sailboats CAN use engines there) and use it for a staging point to jump off early to get out the Gate on an ebb. Anchor out for a couple of nights at China Camp, which has been described by many as a perfect place to "practice" "being out there." Sail down to Half Moon Bay and up to Drakes Bay. Twice!

2. With proper planning, going down the coast of California is not something that should expose you to having to claw off a lee shore. If you get into that situation, you shouldn't have been there in the first place. Why? Because the weather patterns off the coast are essentially stable and three day forecasts simply don't get it wrong. Every thing is essentially long day sails. You could enjoy George Benson's narratives: George M. Benson | Racer – Author – Sailor

3. Get lots of chain for your anchor. zeehag has reported that line rode is a "killer" in Mexico because of the materials on the bottom.

4. Get and read "Singlehanded Sailing" by Richard Henderson, one of the better books on the subject.

5. You might enjoy this, friend's experience on his trip south on a C34. Bigger boat, but same issues. 1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update

6. Practice, practice, practice. Every time I go out I anchor out at least one night. Only way to learn how to do it.

7. Read everything you need to know about what you need to get into Mexico (paperwork).

Good luck, you'll enjoy heading out and turning left.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:21   #47

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
I've heard people motor during the Baja HaHa to get to the next party stop. Someone mentioned needing a motor to get out of the dangers of Baja... so I was guessing from your comment of people motoring that it's not because of the dangers but it's because of the lack of wind in trying to get to the next stop?

SS, I'm sure of all of the boats that have done the Ha Ha, some have had to use the motor to get out of a sticky/dangerous situations. Yes, motor use is generally because of a lack of wind. If you plan on doing the Ha Ha with your current boat, with its current motor situation, how do you plan on getting it back to Ca.? I have serious doubts about your ability to BASH your way North with the outboard unless you get very lucky. Head out the gate and go up to Bodega Bay on a snotty day to get an idea, then imagine doing it for a couple of weeks.

You are already in one of the sailing capitals of the world, granted its not the warmest place, but you should be able to get your fill of all types of sailing.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:27   #48

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Hi,

1. Get some more experience sailing in the ocean. Go anchor out in Aquatic Park (sailboats CAN use engines there) and use it for a staging point to jump off early to get out the Gate on an ebb. Anchor out for a couple of nights at China Camp, which has been described by many as a perfect place to "practice" "being out there." Sail down to Half Moon Bay and up to Drakes Bay. Twice!

2. With proper planning, going down the coast of California is not something that should expose you to having to claw off a lee shore. If you get into that situation, you shouldn't have been there in the first place. Why? Because the weather patterns off the coast are essentially stable and three day forecasts simply don't get it wrong. Every thing is essentially long day sails. You could enjoy George Benson's narratives: George M. Benson | Racer – Author – Sailor

3. Get lots of chain for your anchor. zeehag has reported that line rode is a "killer" in Mexico because of the materials on the bottom.

4. Get and read "Singlehanded Sailing" by Richard Henderson, one of the better books on the subject.

5. You might enjoy this, friend's experience on his trip south on a C34. Bigger boat, but same issues. 1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update

6. Practice, practice, practice. Every time I go out I anchor out at least one night. Only way to learn how to do it.

7. Read everything you need to know about what you need to get into Mexico (paperwork).

SS, ++1, especially #1 & 6.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:40   #49

Boat: Watkins 29'

This motor may work on the mount you already have..
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...S6CSPROUL.html
A real nice set-up would be the mount Tim posted.
Old 26-02-2014, 11:51   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Good thread....

Sass.... My silly opinion is....

Don't do anything longer than you are until you have a powering combination that you can make way into a 15kt headwind with 3'+ seas....

You can do all sorts of course options to avoid this combo to stay outta trouble, but I think this is a reasonable number....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:00   #51

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

I've never sailed seriously along that coast. I did sail in the bay ages ago. But if I recall, that isn't the most hospitable coast to sail down, even though the weather may be predictable. It seems like a long way between protected anchorages and the Columbia 26 has a maximum hull speed of a little over 6 kt. I'd want to have a good trustworthy engine or outboard. And it sounds like you've got over a year to work out kinks.

Things that I'd think about. Liferaft or a good way to stow a dink for emergency use. Think about water and fuel. Don't forget that gasoline can be REALLY dangerous. Water storage is probably more important. Once you get into Mexico, that's some desert country in Baja and water may be hard to come by. Super good PFD's! And, as noted, harness and jacklines. Good radios. If it were me, I'd like an SSB but they are expensive and not so easy to install.

I assume that you've seen this website Blair's Columbia 26 MkII Homepage. (I stole the link from one of GordMay's posts.)

But, go for it. I've sailed in the Sea of Cortez and once you are in there, there are lots of relatively protected and interesting anchorages.

Bill
Old 26-02-2014, 12:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Hi,

Stu, this looks great! How lucky am I, the first time I anchored out was at China Camp. I've also anchored at aquatic park, but not by myself at either place. I've heard getting out the gate can be tricky and definitely wouldn't want to get stuck out there at the wrong time. I am glad to hear more confirmation that the weather along the coast is predictable and doable in long day sail trips. Oh how I'd love to head over to HMB and Drake's Bay. I've yet to sail down that way.

#3. Do you think 15' of chain is enough?

I'll definitely take a look at the books/websites you mentioned. The more the merrier!

#7. Good to know! Thanks for that tip. Thanks for all the tips actually!!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:12   #53

Boat: Boatless
Instead of a 10 year plan, make it a 5. Depending on how things go I may be tossing off a bow line in about 5 years, and take a long vacation. I had my heart set on a nice 38' Morgan. Actually wanted a 41' Morgan Out Island, but my buddy who was going on this adventure with me is charting a different course. That 38' was going to be expensive. A friend told me to look at the Catalina 30. I asked myself how on earth did I overlook that boat! For what I want, it's damn near perfect.

I'm like you. If it wasn't for a 6 year old little girl who just owns my heart, I'd be gone tomorrow. Unfortunately her mommy has had a change of heart on the whole marriage thing. While the little one isn't mine, she still wiggles her little finger, and I come running.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:33   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post

1. I've heard getting out the gate can be tricky and definitely wouldn't want to get stuck out there at the wrong time. I am glad to hear more confirmation that the weather along the coast is predictable and doable in long day sail trips. Oh how I'd love to head over to HMB and Drake's Bay. I've yet to sail down that way.

2. #3. Do you think 15' of chain is enough?
1. Buy & memorize Kimball Livingstons's book, Sailing The Bay. The gate is not tricky at all, you just need to learn how to read the current tables, which are explained extremely well in Kimball's book, best explanation ever. You won't get "stuck out there." You go out with the ebb and back with the flood, use neap not spring tides, or use the back eddies on Baker Beach and the north side Pt. Diablo. I used to take our C22 out all the time, and sailed our C25 down to Monterey, Santa Cruz & HMB many times with a 7.5 hp outboard. This is not rocket science. Read the book!

2. You may not have had time to read the link "1550 & 3596." Answer: absolutely, positively, no blinkin' way is 15 ft of chain adequate on any boat's anchoring system. Please, read the links first. IMHO, two things: one - the chain length should be a MINIMUM of the length of the boat; two - if you're going to Mexico, please read my post's #3. I anchor all over the Bay and Delta with 35 feet of 1/4" chain on a Rocna 10, sized my anchoring SYSTEM for 42 knots (see Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & SwivelsGround Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels), if I was going to Mexico I'd have sized the components completely differently and larger, and used "waterdog's" sizing and technique in that link. Mexico? All chain per waterdog and zeehag.

Good luck, you have "some" prep to do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:44   #55

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm planning something similar, in a 26 foot boat also. Here is a picture of my outboard. The way it's mounted, it will stay down in the water pretty well right? I don't want this cavitation problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	76826  
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:45   #56

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Hmm I might not know how to post pictures
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:58   #57

The coast from Point concepcion up is rugged and NW winds will howl in the spring and you could easily find yourself deviated leeward towards very unfriendly granite coastline. Once you leave Monterey it will be more than an easy day sail to get to Cambria for shelter especially when you're reaching the whole way.
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 06:17   #58

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Ground Tackle! Lots of chain, maybe 100 ft. And a really good new design anchor as a primary. You can get really caught up in all of the discussions about anchors, just skim them with your grains of salt handy. You probably want three anchors, total. And a good manual windlass because you won't be able to pull up that much chain under anything but the most ideal conditions. There are several discussions about sizing ground tackle but as all of those emails I keep getting tell me, bigger is better.

Bill
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21   #59

Boat: Kadey Krogen, Cutter 38'

Breaking Seas was a good read; you may want to think about going on the trip as crew - less expense and a good way to gain experience. As I recall Glen Damato had enough of the sailing life after the trip and sold the boat.... Bur he has probably bought another one by now. Live your dream and go.
Krogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote