Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 10:06   #31

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: I'm Going For It!

Sassy, what year is your 26? We can easily get pictures from the web if we know the year.

Is it possible you do not have a long shaft outboard?
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 10:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Sassy, what year is your 26? We can easily get pictures from the web if we know the year.

Is it possible you do not have a long shaft outboard?

It's a 1972. It's definitely a long shaft outboard, I had to take it back to the shop after I ruined it the first use and I asked if they had anything longer! It's an Evinrude 6 hp, probably from the 60's or 70's, two stroke obviously. Sorry I haven't had a chance to take photos.
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 10:14   #33

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Sassy...please take a picture of your outboard "down" in the water for those that may have your same boat can offer better advice. Just a thought.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 10:26   #34

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I found this pic of a 72. Motor does seem high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piccolumbia26fb.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	76821  
Old 26-02-2014, 10:34   #35

If it is a long shaft OB and is that old it is likely only 20" instead of 25". It also probably has no ability to charge your batteries. A newer OB with a 25" shaft and an alternator may be your best option.

Which one looks like your boat?

TKR on a Boat Website
Old 26-02-2014, 10:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
I found this pic of a 72. Motor does seem high.

That's exactly where my outboard mount is, but mine is not nearly as big and beefy obviously. Even at the lowest setting it's just barely under the water.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:37   #37

Quote:
If it is a long shaft OB and is that old it is likely only 20" instead of 25". It also probably has no ability to charge your batteries. A newer OB with a 25" shaft and an alternator may be your best option.

Which one looks like your boat?

The top one, Otis B. Driftwood, looks like my boat. So I need to look for an extra long shaft (25" shaft) presumably 4 stroke (do those automatically have alternators?).

Thanks for finding those images!
Old 26-02-2014, 10:37   #38

Many I have seen on the net have outboards so there must be a way to do it properly. Not all mounts are created equal. Some lower more than others. I think the max I have seen is about 15".
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 26-02-2014, 10:39   #39

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
That's exactly where my outboard mount is, but mine is not nearly as big and beefy obviously. Even at the lowest setting it's just barely under the water.
I think Tim R may be correct. If the motor is that old the shaft may be 20 and not 25. Might be a good idea to update the outboard. A used 9.9 with a charging system should do the trick.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
I think Tim R may be correct. If the motor is that old the shaft may be 20 and not 25. Might be a good idea to update the outboard. A used 9.9 with a charging system should do the trick.

Aah, I see. That makes sense. The plus side to having this issue is I have gotten comfortable NOT using my motor! I'll do some research and check out different outboard options. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 26-02-2014, 10:45   #41

You can get used 2 strokes that have 25" shaft and an alternator(optional). Here is a cool mounting system that may work for you and add some swim platform/ladder functionality or a good place for a small solar panel.

The Mayers Motor Mount, Sailing, Outboard Motor Management System

TKR on a Boat Website
Old 26-02-2014, 10:45   #42

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

They don't all have alternators, so be sure to specify that!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 10:57   #43

I would definatly put in a small diesel inboard. First and foremost. I understand budget restrictions, but if this is a major chunk, then perhaps your first thought of selling and buying another boat may be the best way to go. The market has plenty of used boats for sale that will have many of these features you need. I would not re-invent the wheel with this boat. Think about selling it as is and moving on to another boat with many of those creature comforts needed. That being said, I have had outboard mounted boats. Problem is when the weather turns nasty and the seas kick up, they can be a handful. Trailing seas, prop cavetation, and the discomfort of an engine stall can really make your ride quite interesting. The inboard will give you much more confidence and will hopefully perform reliably under the most adverse conditions.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
I would definatly put in a small diesel inboard. First and foremost. I understand budget restrictions, but if this is a major chunk, then perhaps your first thought of selling and buying another boat may be the best way to go. The market has plenty of used boats for sale that will have many of these features you need. I would not re-invent the wheel with this boat. Think about selling it as is and moving on to another boat with many of those creature comforts needed. That being said, I have had outboard mounted boats. Problem is when the weather turns nasty and the seas kick up, they can be a handful. Trailing seas, prop cavetation, and the discomfort of an engine stall can really make your ride quite interesting. The inboard will give you much more confidence and will hopefully perform reliably under the most adverse conditions.

D.D., I know what you mean about the outboards only being able to help so much. For my forever boat I'd love to have an inboard, actually, that's one of the necessities. However, the reason I scratched the forever boat plan temporarily is because I want to leave now and not 10 years from now. I'd like to get some cruising experience under my belt, to give me a better idea of what kind of boat I want that diesel inboard in. Right now, this little thing is what I have to work with. It's not perfect, but I think it will work. Thanks for the input!
Old 26-02-2014, 11:15   #45

Boat: Cal 2-30

Quote:
Sassy, you should read the book Breaking Seas by Glenn Damato. It is about a sailor who bought a boat with little experience and did the Ha Ha. It is only $3.99 on Kindle but it is very entertaining and informative.

Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure: Glenn Damato: 9780985816209: Amazon.com: Books
+1
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote