Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 06:14   #1

Boat: Shannon 28
Identify this mystery part (+42 points)

Hi everybody. After saving my silver dollars for many, many years, I recently bought my dream boat. (hooray!)

...Along with this dream came a large number of random parts I'm trying to sort out. One item was a set of U-shaped metal pieces.

They are thin (1/4inch?) and are a matching pair. Can anybody point me in the right direction on what this may be for? Photo is attached.

There was another piece that was also U-shaped (or more specifically, Omega shaped that had rollers on it. It was heavier metal. I don't have a photo of that. I suspect it may be related.

Please help if you can!

(PS also attached a photo of da boat. Shannon 28. She makes my heart sing, and is a dream to sail)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_153853.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	150825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_074611.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	150826  

ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:22   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Identify this mystery part (+42 points)

Parts for some sort of Stack pack thing on the boom.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 07:19   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post

There was another piece that was also U-shaped (or more specifically, Omega shaped that had rollers on it. It was heavier metal. I don't have a photo of that. I suspect it may be related.
Handsome yacht. Good for you. If your boat is/was fitted with a roller reefing boom you may be looking at one of these:

These are/were used for rigging a vang or "preventer" with the sail rolled on the boom. In some cases, a similar fitting was used for the main-sheet.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 12:43   #4

Wow that is certainly exactly it. Though...I don't have roller reefing boom or anything like that. I guess this is just one of the random pieces that people keep. Thank you so much for solving that!

So where do I post stuff to sell hm...
Old 28-06-2017, 20:34   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Every boat I've owned has come with several random pieces that I've looked at and wondered "what in the world would you possibly use that for?"

Until I've figured out for sure what it was used for, and whether or not the boat still had whatever other pieces were necessary to make it work, I always kept all of them.

I owned a Columbia Defender for about 5 years before my current boat. I was sitting in the cockpit one day sometime about year 4 of ownership, and my eyes rested on some random molded bit. In bit of freak inspiration, I suddenly knew exactly what another random bronze fitting that was sitting in a bag under the settee bench was supposed to be used for - well, besides taking up valuable storage space under the settee bench.

I wish I could now explain what it was that I finally figured out - but I've since forgot entirely. All I remember was the elated feeling of actually figuring what that weird bronze thing was supposed to be after owning it for four and half years.

If it doesn't take up too much space, don't get rid of it until you know for sure what it really is, and that it's completely un-needed anymore.

So the roller-furler vang attachment: you now know what it is, you know your boat no longer has roller furling, so you can get rid of it. (You also now know a little bit more about the history of your boat: chances are that it once had roller furling, and a PO forgot to throw that piece out when he replaced the boom.)

The other pieces though? Don't get rid of them until you know exactly what they're for.

If you get rid of them before then, you'll probably find out that they're used to keep the keel from falling off when the wind is blowing exactly north and it's raining.

Which, of course, you won't realize until the wind is blowing from the north, it starts to rain, and it suddenly hits you "that's what those doohickeys do!"
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 03:04   #6

Boat: 1990 Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Those are obviously thingamajings! Doh! [emoji1303]
George Da Porge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 03:08   #7

Boat: 1990 Catalina 30 Tall Rig

And by the way, terrific looking boat!
George Da Porge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 03:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Wow that is certainly exactly it. Though...I don't have roller reefing boom or anything like that. I guess this is just one of the random pieces that people keep. Thank you so much for solving that!

So where do I post stuff to sell hm...
You can't sell them, they must be wrapped up and stored away to give the next owner hours of amusement as they wander around the boat wondering what they are for.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 05:20   #9

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

My 36 year old boat has a small box dedicated to "what the heck's".
The more I work on her the more wth's find their rightful place. i threw a couple of things away that first year, only to realize after being chest deep and feet up in the engine compartment what that thing did that i just threw away
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 05:35   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Several years ago a dock neighbor, who owns a sister-ship to ours, came aboard for a visit. While below, I noticed him staring intently at our stove. "Don't you have the same stove?" I asked. "Yeah, I do." he responded. A few minutes later he asked if he could borrow one pair of the adjustable pot retainers we had clamped onto the rail that surrounds the stove top for a day or so. Of course I agreed but wondered why. He explained that he wanted to take them to a shop to have a couple of sets made up for his boat. "But don't you have a couple of pairs that came with the stove?" I asked. It seems that he had, at one point, but that they were stuffed in a drawer away from the galley, not clamped on the stove rail as were ours. While clearing out "clutter" after he bought the boat, and not realizing what they were at the time, he'd discarded them! Reportedly, having replacements made up was not inexpensive.

Sometimes it's wise to hang on to "stuff", just in case their use/need becomes evident at some later time, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:30   #11

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You can't sell them, they must be wrapped up and stored away to give the next owner hours of amusement as they wander around the boat wondering what they are for.

Pete
Our POs were great at saving documentation as well as "spare" parts. We have instructions and warranties for equipment and systems on the boat that have long since been replaced - lazy Jacks, been-replaced furlers, oil change pumps that aren't on the Boat, etc. We also have every used raw water impeller ever replaced, and several kits of electrical connectors that have no business being on a boat in the first place.

Guess the PO didn't have a garage.....

V
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:54   #12

And some stuff just needs to go - our motto - keep, sell, donate, trash - applies every time
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:04   #13

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
And some stuff just needs to go - our motto - keep, sell, donate, trash - applies every time
Sure, I think those used raw-water impellers top the list. I have a couple of new spares, why would I want one that is already old, brittle, and worn?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:04   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32

No idea, but it sure is a pretty boat!
Old 29-06-2017, 10:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

This is clearly part of the tradition that *must* be passed on!
Love it.