Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2006, 23:17   #1

Ideal Cruiser

So , since I'm new to this whole monohull thing. What would be your pic on the best 40-50 footer between 80-135k ? And why? Thanks
Old 17-12-2006, 04:35   #2
cruiser

Although there are many posts on this topic, you'll find that the answer to you question is: There isn't one!

I'm serious. You need to come up with your intended use, some "like to have's" and go start looking at boats to see what you like and don't like.

I'd say the Gulfstar Hirsh 45. Others might say something else. It's highly subjective, and comes down to a very personal decision based on many practical and emotional factors.

When you hit on a few that seem right, discuss them on the forum and people will find the little details that make it an imperfect boat for you.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 05:41   #3

Boat: Noray 38
A Great discusion.
I can tell you what I think:
1. be sure you need a boat. How mucht time will you have to enjoy it?, some times, to have a boat is the most spensif "gin-tonic" you can have.
Rent a boat when you need and own a small one for week ends is not so bad idea, when you rent can be any where on the world, and you sare the price with other people.
A big boat brings big problems.
2. Ones you have clear the first point....money...money. so, what's the money can you spend? Them multiplicate it for 0,70 to see the price of the boat you can get (resserve a 30% for extras or adapt the boat to your needs)
3. Make a list of all the boats for this price, new ones and second hand.
4. Which kind of sailing will you make? How many people are you going to be on board sailing?
From now, every thing is personal. Personaly, even if I would have a lot of money (one day...I don't losse my hopes), I would Preffer a HR342 than a biger boat. But maybe that's because if I would have money, what I really would like is to live with small problems and pacefull.

That's just my opinion
Old 17-12-2006, 11:08   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Yes, this subject has been covered many times before in other threads. Just to repeat what I've said in the past 32-36 foot LOD, fiberglass hull, cutter rig, aft cockpit (diesel powered). Traditional designed.
I've owned and sailed on tris, cats, monohulls from 8foot to 55foot and my favorite would be what I described in the paragraph above.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 13:45   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Although there are many posts on this topic, you'll find that the answer to you question is: There isn't one!

I'm serious. You need to come up with your intended use, some "like to have's" and go start looking at boats to see what you like and don't like.

I'd say the Gulfstar Hirsh 45. Others might say something else. It's highly subjective, and comes down to a very personal decision based on many practical and emotional factors.

When you hit on a few that seem right, discuss them on the forum and people will find the little details that make it an imperfect boat for you.
Darn and I thought the answer was a Moody 47... wait outside the price range... wait.. maybe not...

as Sean said there is no right answer, find a boat that appeals to you withing your constraints.. add 50K minimum to upgrade if anything other than a boat that was just outfitted and the plan went awry and your sort of close.

Good Luck...
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 20:04   #6

Boat: 1975 Coronado 35CC
Well if you want a really good boat, $135,000 does not get you much other than a boat that has someone else's problems that are now yours.

Lets face it, a 45 foot boat for $135,000 is going to need a lot of work to make it seriously up to scratch. I put $100,000 into a 35 foot Coronado like it was nothing and that was just PARTS! Zero labor because I did all the work myself (and still doing it).

I wanted a good boat but didnt want to spend $100,000 on someone elses problem so I bought a boat that was basically just a hull. Got a dumpster and pulled EVERYTHING out down to the hull and started over from there. Honestly, everything was replaced. Teak and all. Now I have one tough little boat with the best of everything and I made some serious modifications to make it more blue water worthy than 90% of the boats out there for my peace of mind.

A good boat is one you can trust that sails reasonably well. Nothing more. A name is just a name. I have a boat that most people say is ugly by design and was not built so well but this boat was built like a tank. I would take this boat anywhre, the hull below the waterline is 1 1/2 inches thick! That I trust. The quality of the systems makes it reliable and less prone to needing repairs.

The boat you buy could be a heap of junk and still be clean and smell good. It all depends on what any boat has seen in its lifetime and how well any repairs were made (if any) and if the builder had a good reputation. Pay close attention to the order I listed the last statement in because most boats get seriously abused and 90% of boat owner repairs are done wrong and they hide just waiting for the day to make your life very difficult.

Find something you would live in and get a good survey done from a pro. He will tell you what your getting.

Sailing isn't a choice, it is a requirement for our soul to fully understand life and why we are here...

Roy Hunter
classycoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 21:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
First...let's be honest...there is NO SUCH Animal you seek......Seriously....the sooner you get that concept...you will be able to wade through all the "this is better than that" "never a ketch" "always a Ketch" "Never Glass" "only glass" on and on and on.

My 36ft boat bought for 37K is now up to $90K....and completely refit with new upto date equipment, which I probabally really didn't need, but "had to have".

It is all about what YOU need and what YOU want, but that is the rub, you don;t really know until you are out there, no matter how much you read and research....all you will know is what other people needed.

Get something and get out there...that is really the only way to know and answer your question.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 01:42   #8

What do you guys think about the CAL 2-46? I can pic one up for about 120k. Its realy nice and I think I want a pilothouse. YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale&
Old 19-12-2006, 01:46   #9

They are not that pretty to look at though
Old 19-12-2006, 05:29   #10
cruiser

Not pretty? I don't think she's tough on the eyes at all. See how subjective this can all be?

Anyway, what are your cruising plans with this boat? That will help with a more comprehensive response.

Personal opinion: I don't prefer a galley that is in a line such as the one on this boat. Difficult to use while underway. I prefer the u-shaped galleys, so you always have somewhere to lean while cooking. Of course, very popular boats such as new Beneteaus have a galley just like the one in this boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 06:03   #11

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
I disagree that you can't find a good boat for under 100k. It may take a lot of work and twice as much kismet...but they are out there. Don't be discouraged by naysayers...you don't have to spend 100k and another 100k 'fixing her up'... you could, but you don't have to. We're proof. Maybe it was luck, kismet, divine intervention...but it is possible. Remember, people also said "you can't..." in response to sailing AROUND the world.
You have to have a good sense of humor and keep things in perspective. Things don't just go wrong with an old used boat. Things go wrong and break on brand new boats, very old boats, fairly new boats... my point, it's a boat.

MY idea of the ideal cruiser... (and maybe mine alone)
32-36' LOD
either cutter or cutter-ketch (staysail ketch?)
horseshoe (U-shape) galley, not in-line
diesel engine appropriate for a midnight storm in high current
enough headroom for you to be comfortable (you not everyone else)
good storage areas
full keel

there's more I'm sure but my boat needs work. You WILL spend money on your boat but it's not always the previous owner's fault... things just happen. But with that said, ALWAYS blame wiring problems on the previous owner, haha.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 07:10   #12
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
I have seen a few good finds under a $100K of course keep in mind asking isn't buying pricing. The used sailboat market is so slow overall in the USA right now sometimes buying is as much as 40% off of asking.

Look into a Hardin Voyoger? 45 ft. Spelling alittle off this morning.

Keith
kydivemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 11:50   #13

My family and I are going to live abord full time I am 30 my wife is 28 and we have two daughters 13 and 3. We plan on going all the way and living the dream to it's fullest.
Old 19-12-2006, 12:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskfreedom
My family and I are going to live abord full time I am 30 my wife is 28 and we have two daughters 13 and 3. We plan on going all the way and living the dream to it's fullest.
Based on this comment, I recommend you consider a Peterson 44, or 46 or the Formosa 46 knock-off. Excellent Water boats">blue water boats, many out there voyaging now and if you look hard enough, you can find one in your price range that may not need a lot of work.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 13:33   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Shoal-draft steel Adams 40' centre cockpit might be worth a look
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote