Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2013, 09:35   #46

Re: I'd Be Interested in Hearing About a Contessa / JJ Taylor 26

Scotty, congratulations on a great boat. I dont know if yours came with a windvane or not, but if not, look into building or buying a Quartermaster, rather than one of those fancy (expensive!!!!) contraptions that people seem to think are needed. Somewhere else on the web there is a Contessa forum, that doesnt seem too active, but had some good info. I was not able to get thru their registration process, so I dont pay much attention to it. That just shows my limited computer skills. Good Luck with your new love._____Grant.

Old 25-02-2013, 03:56   #47

Boat: Contessa 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well since this thread has floated to the top again...

I had a Triton 25 that filled the cockpit floor with water while sailing. Even though this boat has drains, the cockpit floor was too low when forced to carry lard-asses like myself. My solution was to create a sump with an automatic bilge pump below and adjacent to the cockpit. Worked like a charm, excepting for the time my seasick wife regurgitated her breakfast into the cockpit!

Any I'm a big fan of 25 to 30 foot sailboats. Perfect size for single handing or a couple, and economical (in the boat bucks sense) which leaves the kitty free to spend on the other things in life for us average punters. The Contessa 26 is a nice boat and great find Scotty. Rare enough down here in the land of Oz. No doubt she got here on her own hull?

Now a dumb question, are boats this size considered "pocket cruisers"? I have always thought anything under 32 ft would be called this, but it seems most references to pocket cruisers tend to end at the low 20 ft something range?
Thanks Reefmagnet, and yes she did sail out here. There's even the Panama Canal certificate aboard, in a little frame (getting consumed by mould at the moment, but not for long).

Old 25-02-2013, 04:01   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Scotty, congratulations on a great boat. I dont know if yours came with a windvane or not, but if not, look into building or buying a Quartermaster, rather than one of those fancy (expensive!!!!) contraptions that people seem to think are needed. Somewhere else on the web there is a Contessa forum, that doesnt seem too active, but had some good info. I was not able to get thru their registration process, so I dont pay much attention to it. That just shows my limited computer skills. Good Luck with your new love._____Grant.
Hey Grant, thanks mate.

Yeah, someone else has suggested the same thing. It's definitely on my incredibly long and expensive list of tasks for her.
Don't yet know where I'm going to get all the money, skills or time to achieve everything, but if I waited for/listened to sensible reason, then I'd never do anything.

Good to know I've got you lot to cry to occasionally though.
Old 25-02-2013, 14:58   #49

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDierikx View Post
Thanks Reefmagnet, and yes she did sail out here. There's even the Panama Canal certificate aboard, in a little frame (getting consumed by mould at the moment, but not for long).
No worries buddy, wish you well. If you're interested, here's a link to thread I posted a while back with a link to photos of my refurb I did on my Vega over around 14 months. The Vega is similar in ways to the Contessa and also has somewhat of a folk boat ancestry.

Refitting an Albin Vega
Old 17-03-2013, 03:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
No worries buddy, wish you well. If you're interested, here's a link to thread I posted a while back with a link to photos of my refurb I did on my Vega over around 14 months. The Vega is similar in ways to the Contessa and also has somewhat of a folk boat ancestry.

Refitting an Albin Vega
Cheers RM. Nice job on your boat by the way, thanks for sharing. I suppose I'll have to sort out some sort of blog thing about the Contessa (Sentina). I was doing one for my outrigger canoe build, but for some reason I can't log into it anymore, so it's simply halted (although to be honest, I haven't gotten much further along with it anyway ).

I'll keep you all posted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: