Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2011, 10:00   #31

Boat: none
Re: I'd Be Interested in Hearing About a Contessa / JJ Taylor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minga View Post
I WON'T One !!!!!!!!
There is on Contessa advertised here ( in OZ), but not sure it it the right Contessa. It does not have a full Keel, it is a 26 footer. It does not have typical Contessa ruder and it is advertised as a Contessa 25.
Anyone can maybe help in this little confusion ?
Minga, the boat you are looking at is not a Contessa or JJ Taylor. Both the Contessa and JJ Taylor have full keels, only the Contessa 32 has a modified fin keel. The actual above water-line length of the 26 is specifically 25'6". There is an unrelated motorboat line of Contessas to add to the confusion. Unfortunately, some sellers have a hard time identifying the boats they are trying to sell. It seems this is the case in your situation.

Old 25-11-2011, 13:01   #32

I have an Marieholm IF also 26. folkboat simullar to the contessa 26. Great seaboat for offshore crusing.

Old 25-11-2011, 20:22   #33

When I was cruising on my Contessa, I ended up rafted to an International Folkboat at some Yacht Club dock. It gave me a chance to compare the two. They are very similar, since they both came from the same wooden Folkboat design. The IF had a little bit less freeboard and I think was a few inches narrower, but the difference was small. The IF had a 7/8 rig , while the Contessa was a masthead rig. We both had Quartermaster wind vanes. The IF had a self-bailing cockpit where as my Contessa(early model) did not. I would think that they handle seas equally well. Later in Hawaii I met a fellow that had just single handed his IF to Hawaii from California. He said it was a good trip. I believe they are both very good little boats._____Grant.
Old 26-11-2011, 03:30   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I believe they are both very good little boats._____Grant.
and both pretty as hell

(always had a weakness for pretty - afloat and ashore )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:22   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Years ago I owned a Continental 25 (LOA 25, 3") fibreglass Fokboat, built by Whitby Boatworks in Ontario, Canada and absolutely loved the boat! The hull and rig were virtually identical to the Contessa/JJ Taylor 26, except that the coachouse was similar to the Alberg 30, with a raised section over the saloon for increased headroom and a standard companionway with sliding hatch, instead of the coffin shaped companioway without a hatch of the Contessa. She was incredibly well balanced and surprisingly quick to windward. Indeed, with proper sail trim she could sail to windward in virtually any conditions without ever having to touch the helm - heading up in the puffs and off in the lulls. Pretty, well-balanced, seaworthy, quick and with a comfortable motion, I'd still love to have one for daysails and the occasional night under anchor.

Brad
Old 30-11-2011, 17:33   #36

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

This is a very good Contessa 26 Site. Click link:

Home - Bika
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16   #37

Thanks Thomm! great link
Old 04-12-2011, 16:55   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Ty Techera sailed the Contessa 32 "Gigi" around the Horn.
You can read about it in "Cape Horn to Starboard" by John Kretschmer - here is a link.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:47   #39

CONTESSA ALERT! for all of us Contessa lovers, I just saw one on the San Francisco Craigslist. It appears in good shape and seems to be well equipped for cruising. For someone without a lot of money, they make a great cruising boat. I dont know any more than what the add said. ____Grant.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04   #40

Boat: Whitby 25

Quote:
Mine was an early English built boat with a deep, very comfortable cockpit with just the right angles on the combings. Of course it wasnt self bailing but that was never a problem.
Hi Grant - can you elaborate on this comment? I own a 1964 Whitby 25 with a deep cockpit that lets in an inch or more of water when heeling and when there's a lot of weight (more than two adults) in the cockpit. It also drains very slowly when I've half-filled the cockpit on purpose to see how it drains. (the drains are clear) How was this not a problem out on the ocean? I'm tempted to raise the cockpit sole for this reason.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22   #41

Willyd, the folkboats that the Contessa was derived from almost never had a selfbailing cockpit, yet they have been sailed and raced all over the world. My own Contessa ( early English version) was just like the originals in that the cockpit was deep and just drained into the bilge. There were no cockpit drain thru hulls or holes out the transom. The sole was probably 2 inches below the waterline. I was worried about it at first, but when I put a piece of rigid foam in the sole to see what it would be like to raise it 4 inches, I found that it ruined the comfort of the cockpit. On many other small boats that I visited, I found shallow cockpits that seemed much less secure than the Contessa. COMFORT vs SAFETY! Yes, there is a safety factor in a self bailing cockpit, but I dont think it is as critical as many people make it out to be if your cockpit is small and you have a good deep bilge.(I can hear the arguments coming). In 8 or 9K miles of cruising I only filled the cockpit once when I took a knockdown in Mexico, and it drained into the bilge, and when I had sorted out the mess on deck and down below, I pumped the bilge dry and and got on with it. For your particular situation where you already have a self bailing cockpit, but want it better, there are things to check for. Do your drains go straight down or do they crisscross so that the port drain goes out the stbd thru hull and stbd to the port thru hull? I believe that will give you a little less water backing into the cockpit when heeling. You might re-plumb the hoses and see if it helps. If that helps, then next haulout, double the size of your thru hulls and hoses and it will drain much faster. If you decide to raise the sole try putting some 2 inch material under the grate to raise it and then sail it with a few friends to see if it still backs up. You would not want to raise it an inch and find out that it was not enough, or to raise it much more than needed and ruin the comfort of your cockpit. I hope this rambling answer has helped._____Grant.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20   #42

Boat: Whitby 25

Thanks, that's comforting and informative. I actually made a wooden grate that stands about 2" high, and this works well to keep the feet dry during normal sailing. My hoses do cross, so maybe I'll take your advice about enlarging the drain holes. (I need to install seacocks anyway...) My situation is in fact a lot better than what you describe about your old boat - any water coming over the coaming will only end up in the cockpit, not in the bilge (except what leaks through the damn engine cover in the cockpit sole). I've also thought of turning the forward part of the cockpit into a locker and thereby create a bridgedeck and lessen the likelihood water gets into the cabin as well as reduce the amount of water that can slosh around in the cockpit anyway.
While surfing the net yesterday I happened upon the Bika site, where the owners talk about raising the cockpit sole 10cm being a real improvement, hence my question to you about how much of a problem this really is.
Old 03-01-2013, 21:47   #43

willyd, a bridge deck is a good idea, but you might want to mock one up out of plywood and gorilla tape it in place to see just how much of your foot well you want to live without. It will make it more difficult to get in and out of the cabin, and that is a consideration. If you only expect the occasional offshore sail, you might just make a way to pin your bottom hatch board in place when sailing and be able to remove it when anchored. There are so many compromises on boats you have to weigh each choice for yourself. GOOD LUCK____Grant.
Old 23-02-2013, 03:21   #44

Boat: Contessa 26
Quote:
willyd, a bridge deck is a good idea, but you might want to mock one up out of plywood and gorilla tape it in place to see just how much of your foot well you want to live without. It will make it more difficult to get in and out of the cabin, and that is a consideration. If you only expect the occasional offshore sail, you might just make a way to pin your bottom hatch board in place when sailing and be able to remove it when anchored. There are so many compromises on boats you have to weigh each choice for yourself. GOOD LUCK____Grant.
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have to say, I'm loving this thread. I've been a Contessa-file for so many years now, and it turns out I'm actually about to get one of my own (here in Oz too). perfect boat for me. Big enough for day sailing with the wife & kids, coastal cruising with one of them at a time, yet small enough for open ended cruising alone without being too much of a handful, and not too much of a PITA to maintain myself. Plus it's not too much of a financial burden. Mind you, she us a pretty neglected example, but she should scrub up nicely over time.

Planning to get her out of the water over the next few weeks & set her up here in my front yard. Then very slow restoration as & when finances permit (gonna be endless stupid questions coming your way - just sayin' is all).
BTW, any suggestions on hardstanding? Current plan is for proper boat stands (Brownell), plus extra wooden props. She's going to be out of the water for quite a while I reckon.
Old 23-02-2013, 06:30   #45

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Well since this thread has floated to the top again...

I had a Triton 25 that filled the cockpit floor with water while sailing. Even though this boat has drains, the cockpit floor was too low when forced to carry lard-asses like myself. My solution was to create a sump with an automatic bilge pump below and adjacent to the cockpit. Worked like a charm, excepting for the time my seasick wife regurgitated her breakfast into the cockpit!

Any I'm a big fan of 25 to 30 foot sailboats. Perfect size for single handing or a couple, and economical (in the boat bucks sense) which leaves the kitty free to spend on the other things in life for us average punters. The Contessa 26 is a nice boat and great find Scotty. Rare enough down here in the land of Oz. No doubt she got here on her own hull?

Now a dumb question, are boats this size considered "pocket cruisers"? I have always thought anything under 32 ft would be called this, but it seems most references to pocket cruisers tend to end at the low 20 ft something range?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: