Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 14:52   #16

Boat: Irwin 46
Re: ICW depth for northern Keys

When I did the cross florida okeechobee route in a hunter 37 20 years ago. There was a guy who had a business heeling boats over and towing under the RR lift bridge at the far end if that is the bridge u are worried about. Plastic drums, a pump and long line with a weight to measure how far to heel the boat. It was a great racket and I will bet it still exists. Call the marina in La Belle.
Sailtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:04   #17

Boat: Watkins 29

You've got a blue water boat. Sail nonstop to key West...then out to the gulf stream and next stop Stuart FL. Just pick your weather window. SORC races did it that way from St. Pete to Ft. Lauderdale!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:41   #18

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
You've got a blue water boat. Sail nonstop to key West...then out to the gulf stream and next stop Stuart FL. Just pick your weather window. SORC races did it that way from St. Pete to Ft. Lauderdale!
If you hold to the Hawk Channel, weather need not be a concern. Additionally, if you'd like to take a break and anchor, the Hawk Channel gives you that option.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 17:28   #19

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Technically, there is no Intracoastal waterway in the Florida Keys. The AICW ends at Miami.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 12-10-2019, 17:47   #20

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS,

Thank you all so much for the considered responses. I have secured Dock space in Marathon and will head for the 7 mile bridge before using Hawk Channel.

I was hoping to spend some time snorkeling the sites along Pennecamp and others but will need to decide based on weather and anchorages as there don't seem to be many marinas accessible for me from the Atlantic to break up the trip and spend an evening or two.

I will attempt to make for Dinner Key and perhaps do a bit of Biscayne Bay from there?

I have about a month to make the trip but will need to make 3 or 4 breaks in the passage.

Fair winds and following seas to all!

Maurie
Maurie Rosenber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 17:53   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Technically, there is no Intracoastal waterway in the Florida Keys. The AICW ends at Miami.

Al, S/V Finlandia

That’s new news to me
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 03:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
The Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway south of Miami has been completed as far as Cross Key Bank (MM "1153.4"), about 57.5 miles South of Dinner Key (Miami); the remainder has been put on hold. While no work has been performed south of Cross Bank, a channel, marked with standard ICW markings, leads from Cross Bank to Big Pine Key along the northwesterly side of the Florida Keys.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 03:48   #23

6 weeks ago we sailed from miami to marathon inside with. A 5ft draft. No issues at all
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 06:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well all I can say is that I'm going from Gulfport MS to Marathon Fl end of the month in my 6'4" draft boat. That's about a 580 mile trip and I'm not inclined to save 17 miles to take the shortcut to the 7 Mile bridge instead of going around Key West.
The last time we took the even shorter route (the shortcut to Channel 5), we saw about 5.5 feet at mid tide near the shoal marked by the #5 green channel marker. Our boat then, drew 5', so it got our attention.

You could probably pull it off at high tide with 6.5 feet, emphasis on the word "probably".

We took our five foot draft to Marathon the trip before, (and I don't remember it being even close).

But, I'm with you; if you're just doing it for fun anyway, why do anything that might make it un-fun! And Key West is certainly a lot more fun, than Marathon.
Old 13-10-2019, 06:08   #25

Quote:
you need to go around Key West into the Hawk Channel unless you have a real shallow boat
Traumagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 08:18   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumagas View Post
Originally Posted by sailorboy1
you need to go around Key West into the Hawk Channel unless you have a real shallow boat

===

Our trawler draws 5 1/2 feet and we use the Channel 5 bridge route all the time regardless of tide. 7 ft draft is no problem at Moser pass just west of Marathon. Close attention to navigation is required anywhere in the Keys.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:27   #27

For me, the point of cruising is to have a good time, not to see how close I can come to running aground without actually doing so!

I confess to taking the easy way out any time I get the chance!
Old 13-10-2019, 10:36   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The OP is leaving from Ft Myers Beach so about a 115 mile trip directly to 7 mile bridge or about 155 miles going the KW route. Unless the OP wishes to visit KW or has an outrageously deep draft there is no reason to put on the extra miles.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:35   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

it's easy to see in the replies that the choice is easy to make on someone else's boat
Old 13-10-2019, 11:45   #30

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
it's easy to see in the replies that the choice is easy to make on someone else's boat

===

Obviously I can't speak for others but all of my replies relate to how I go in my own boat after many years of trying various alternatives. That said, everyone has different priorities, and Key West is arguably an interesting place to visit if time and distance are no object.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, icw