Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 15:19   #16

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65
Re: Ice, on a shoe-string

Well... to hell with Can... we don´t have that in Portugal and we have the second largest responsibility area in the world... right next to...guess who? That´s right, Canada!

I´ll stick to Greenland !

Anyway, I thought that in a case of a rescue -anywhere in the world- your boat would be on it´s own. Is it not the case?

Ahoy,
Messias.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:47   #17

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
Are you trying to break some world record or something? I'm sure there are plenty of sailing grounds in Canada that have no such restrictions. Vancouver Island and North to Alaska or Nova Scotia etc. Do you really intend on getting up into the further inhospitable desolation of those remote places where adventurers go to die? Unless this is a trolling expedition I don't think you will have to put up 100s of thousands to sail in nice cool grounds...
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBrown View Post
Are you trying to break some world record or something?
Hahahah... No CapnBrown. In fact I have this horror of the world-record-breakers. None of that. Nice cool grounds, as you said, is exactly what I want, but the freedom to choose other course also... so it just "pis... me off" to hear those stories of paying some kind of "toll" at sea.

Ahoy,
Messias
Old 09-05-2013, 19:38   #19

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I hate to be the nay-sayer here, and I acknowledge that some individuals have achieved amazing things on tiny budgets. Such individuals are to be admired for the sacrifices they make, the frugality of their lifestyle and the ingenuity with which they overcome the constraints of their limited budgets in order to achieve their goals. Nevertheless, theirs is not a path that many / most would chose to tread, nor be able to tread.

My point is that if your purchase budget is "shoestring", then you may well be in for a rude shock when you discover the cost of owning and maintaining your boat, let alone heading of into the wild, blue, icy yonder.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:55   #20

And as common-sense says so, you are probably right (but there is always a chance you´re wrong, so... ). Still, it´s just a "dream" project. And before that project converts into a boat, experience, cash saving, planning, refitting, planning again, and again... a lot of water will pass under this bridge and a lot can change.

Beside that, the shoestring purchase budget is because I prefer to start sooner, with a cheaper -sound- boat and spend the money in getting it exactly as needed to such trip, than trying to save money for the "perfect" boat and end up with a big factory thing that will still need to be adapted...at even greater costs.
I think that a small thing CAN be adapted to do it, if the people who REALLY were there can give advice on what´s needed, what´s redundant or just plain dockside mith

But if I don´t discuss it with everyone that I can who has ACTUALLY made it in those latitudes, I will always stick to home or dock-made theories, won´t I?

Ahoy,
Messias
Old 09-05-2013, 19:58   #21

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
^^ A fair point. I did an awful lot of work to snowpetrel, and invested lot of time into the boat. At the expense of career, relationship, and finances..

I also had the experiance to know what I needed to do to be safe enough at sea. In reality I could have gotten away with doing less.

But I do think its quite acheivable to do some really cool voyages in a small and simple boat. And if so steel is probably the best bet unless a cheap alloy boat is found. But then pleanty of trips have been safely done to greenland in glass and timber boats. Its more about the crew than the boat.
Old 09-05-2013, 20:32   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

The Albin Vega 27, it's what Matt Rutherford used to be the first ever to circumnavigate non-stop solo around the Americas

Solo Around the America's Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 22:08   #23

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Young couple on the wood/cold moulded "Teleport" did the NW passage, excellent website too.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:36   #24

Yes, I´m trying to catch up with that "voyage" they´re making. It´s absolutely fabulous.
That is one of those beautifull stories -which this cruising world is full of- which are "dream-material" for a lot of us.

Safe and pleasant journey for them!