Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 14:32   #16

In Maine the lobster men refer to kayackers as speed bumps. They see them off shore in thick fog with no radar reflectors or at night with no lights.
Dockbound2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 16:25   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: I was rammed last night by a boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
---
the water was filled with idiots. the first incident of the night, aside from keeping people from running over my stern anchor ---
I think you'll find that a lot of us, like rebel heart, usually avoid anchoring out in mass crowd situations like July 4th.

If I were to anchor out then, I would only use one anchor. For starters, as you found out, it's twice as hard to keep people from running over two anchors, especially as most people will not anticipate one being deployed from your stern. And, of course, they can't see it at night.

Secondly, if you were to need to pull up or cut loose your ground tackle to move quickly in the event of an emergency, it would take twice as long.
If you were trying to pull up both anchors in a hurry, you would also run a greater risk of fouling your prop.

You should remember that your need to up anchor and move may end up outweighing your desire to be anchored in a certain spot. Best to plan for all eventualities.

Food for thought.
Old 05-07-2013, 17:04   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We try to be at Sea, or ashore on these big hoildays!! To many little boats and to many drunks! and to many big boats with drunks for captains!
Old 05-07-2013, 17:24   #19
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I think you'll find that a lot of us, like rebel heart, usually avoid anchoring out in mass crowd situations like July 4th.

If I were to anchor out then, I would only use one anchor. For starters, as you found out, it's twice as hard to keep people from running over two anchors, especially as most people will not anticipate one being deployed from your stern. And, of course, they can't see it at night.

Secondly, if you were to need to pull up or cut loose your ground tackle to move quickly in the event of an emergency, it would take twice as long.
If you were trying to pull up both anchors in a hurry, you would also run a greater risk of fouling your prop.

You should remember that your need to up anchor and move may end up outweighing your desire to be anchored in a certain spot. Best to plan for all eventualities.

Food for thought.

i pulled up the anchors the next morning, took me 45 min...
and no, i would not pull them up if someone was going to smash into me. i only saw two boats that would damage mine at 3 kts, they were both over 1 million in value, and i am sure, well insured...
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:05   #20

Quote:
you must, you made the correction.
The correction I made was pointing out that you weren't rammed by a boat. You might have been run into by a kayak, but your title is purposefully misleading.

letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04   #21
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
The correction I made was pointing out that you weren't rammed by a boat. You might have been run into by a kayak, but your title is purposefully misleading.

it was meant to be a fun topic.
however i digress
Kayak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A kayak is a small, relatively narrow, human-powered boat primarily designed to be manually propelled by means of a double bladed paddle.

Boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to provide passage across water.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31   #22

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I can actually say I have been slightly hit before, long story short I was at anchor one night with the family when some newbie on lovely new beneteau decided to clip me while he was trying to anchor I guess he didn't know how to reverse lucky for me no damage was made only a few red faces and one annoyed skipper on my end =)
Old 06-07-2013, 06:38   #23

When I lived in Annapolis, I quit going to the fireworks show on the Severn River, after one too many close calls by drunks in boats (half without lights) that were loosed once the show was over.

I myself, almost t-bone a small unlighted skiff one time, that I saw at the last minute that didn't see any danger in crossing from one side of the Severn to the other, darked out, with a hundred boats heading upriver.

The last time I went, I took a pair of NVG's from work, and actually seeing how many unlighted boats there were on the river that night, was scarier than not knowing.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
New Years and 4th of July: you'll find me on shore. The boat will be pulled in tight with some extra lighting on the stern.
I'm with you. Holidays I stay on the mooring. Especially on the 4th. See plenty without being out with the drunken crowd. Even enjoy the show when they all try and come back into the harbor at the same time.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11   #25

Quote:
it was meant to be a fun topic.
however i digress
Kayak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A kayak is a small, relatively narrow, human-powered boat primarily designed to be manually propelled by means of a double bladed paddle.

Boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to provide passage across water.

"Rammed by a boat" isn't really the same thing as a kayak bumping into you, is it? It was the 4th of July, so the crazy thing is to not expect this.

Please.

Did you really break out "wikipedia"?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22   #26

Boat: Hunter 27
I saw the Detroit fireworks this year. Lots of cops on the water so it was calm. I did not go all the way down. I went down then turned into the current and me and another sailboat idled back up the river so when the show was over I was in front of the marina. It worked perfect and we just hung out at the marina till traffic cleared.
It was getting bad in Detroit and people stopped taking the boats to the show. The US and Canadian CG and police did a great job this year.
We had fun and were safe. I am going to check out some concerts on the river this summer also.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote