Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 21:18   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: I want to register my boat overseas how can I do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
All of this irrelevant to OP. Guy's asking simple question "Which country has the best flag of convenience?" I'm also very interested what the options are currently, a specially for bigger boat, 17-20m.
I'm in the process of registering a 16m catamaran with the Langkawi Yacht Registry using an agent. My quote from an agent is under $800 US for 5 years. Very simple process, no survey required, no need to be there. What's not to like?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 22:18   #17

Boat: Island Packet 29

Perhaps I missed it cause of all the political banter, but question to the OP, where will you do most of your sailing? This would have a lot to do with the best flag for your boat.
Amani Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:00   #18

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Have to agree with the above. I thought Langkawi registration was a good deal until I discovered that it's not on the list of countries easily accepted for a US cruising permit. Neither is the Philippines. Strangely enough Liberia is fine, go figure.

These sorts of subtle gotchas make me carefully consider what might be the best flag.

And btw some of the options presented in post #6 require residence so aren't really options. This applies particularly to the UK BSS and I'm sure there will be other limitations once I've assessed the remainder of the list.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:49   #19

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
There are many other registries including
Germany (€25)
"Für deutsche Staatsbürger spielt dabei der Wohnsitz keine Rolle, ausländische Staatsbürger müssen dagegen ihren Wohnsitz in Deutschland nachweisen können."

Quote:
British Small Ships(£60 plus £90 to renew after 10 years)
"You must live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year."

Quote:
(English) Channel Islands:
Guernsey (£300)
Jersey (£285)
Possible but usually only used for tax avoidance. May have issues with authorities, especially in Greece. May need CE certification. VAT issues in EU.

Quote:
BVI (US$600 plus $US100 p.a.)
Will probably require company formation to get around residency rules, ongoing costs can be high for administration. Also applies to Jersey and Guernsey.

Quote:
Malta (£115 plus £95 p.a.)
Must be an EU citizen.

Quote:
Isle of Man (£160 plus £115 p.a.)
Yet another tax avoidance realm for commercial shipping. Seems complex.

Quote:
Gibraltar (£225 plus £25 p.a)
Needs a company formed.

Quote:
Vanuatu (US$800 lasts 5 years)
Requires survey by Vanuatu qualified surveyor, yacht must not be older than 20 years.

Quote:
Malayasia Langkawi (MYR$1,500 say NZ$500) as someone mentioned.
No hassle option.

Quote:
I wouldn't take too much notice of advice you receive here.
Indeed.

Since the OP isn't trying to avoid tax the company formation options aren't relevant. Their ongoing administration costs and complexities are only worthwhile for commercial shipping. Let's face it, lawyers are just as bad as bureaucrats when it comes to registration.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:17   #20

For an nz resident or company owning a non-commercial vessel, Jersey (British channel islands) is by far the best place to register.

Any commonwealth citizen or company can register there, the cost is minimal and the certificate lasts ten years before renewal. No jersey company is required.

A survey is not required but you do need a measurement which only takes a few minutes. There is at least one surveyor in new Zealand who is approved to do the measurement - Curly Hayter based in Auckland. Cost was very reasonable.

You get all the prestige and protection of a British flag (with cool gold lions on it).

The whole process took about a month, allow two months. Some paperwork needs to be physically posted both from and to NZ but the process is fairly straightforward.

Changing flag had no nz tax implications. If the gst has been paid on the boat (or not) then changing the flag doesn't change that. Assuming the boat is from nz you can bring it back under any flag and there is no need for temporary entry or gst payment but you may be asked for documents to prove that you bought the yacht tax paid in nz on your arrival or departure.
syohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 23:02   #21
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
There are many other registries including
Germany (€25)
British Small Ships(£60 plus £90 to renew after 10 years)
(English) Channel Islands:
Guernsey (£300)
Jersey (£285)
BVI (US$600 plus $US100 p.a.)
Malta (£115 plus £95 p.a.)
Isle of Man (£160 plus £115 p.a.)
Gibraltar (£225 plus £25 p.a)
Vanuatu (US$800 lasts 5 years)
etc etc
Malayasia Langkawi (MYR$1,500 say NZ$500) as someone mentioned.

The above is based on under (mostly) 12 mtrs and purely recreational.

THE GST and Sales Tax thing shouldn't be a hassle. You need to talk to a Customs Agent, but it is a matter of proving the boat will leave NZ (before she leaves!) and then again proving she's the same boat that returns. GST and sales tax has already been paid. I think you'll just need a temporary export. Personally I would just phone Customs and ask. They are very helpful. Then ask the person to confirm their advice in writing.

I wouldn't take too much notice of advice you receive here.
Vanuatu does not register vessels under 500 ton on the international registry.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 17:38   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Jersey is a good and inexpensive option but you do need to be a Commonwealth resident if not in the UK or EU. Otherwise you would need to set up a company there.

As the previous poster points out, registration does not affect tax status. However, in the case of NZ a foreign registration does remove the boat from Cat 1 certification.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 06:43   #23

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Here is one more vote for Langkawi. I've been very happy with my registration there... Straight-forward, no hassle.
But I'm a European living in Asia, mostly.
You need to check what rules might kick in if you're in your home country with a foreign registered boat. That will vary from place to place.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:06   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Zven-
Are you uninsured? Or did your insurer have no complaints about taking on a Malaysian vessel with "global" coverage and short-handed crew? Or are you just covered while keeping it in Asian waters?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 11:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Zven-
Are you uninsured? Or did your insurer have no complaints about taking on a Malaysian vessel with "global" coverage and short-handed crew? Or are you just covered while keeping it in Asian waters?
I'm fully insured, for an area covering most of SE Asia.
About global coverage, I've been offered that but turned it down, as it costs more.
I would not say I'm short-handed.
Langkawi registration does not seem to be an issue for insurers that work internationally.
At the Singapore Yacht Show this year, I noticed that a majority of the superyachts were Langkawi-registered.
Old 24-06-2017, 16:05   #26

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
I'm fully insured, for an area covering most of SE Asia.
About global coverage, I've been offered that but turned it down, as it costs more.
I would not say I'm short-handed.
Langkawi registration does not seem to be an issue for insurers that work internationally.
At the Singapore Yacht Show this year, I noticed that a majority of the superyachts were Langkawi-registered.

I am interested in this. Which insurer do you use?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 00:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I am interested in this. Which insurer do you use?
I'm using Topsail.
Pantaenius are also happy to offer yacht insurance in Asia... and there are others.
Old 14-08-2017, 01:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I'm in the process of registering a 16m catamaran with the Langkawi Yacht Registry using an agent. My quote from an agent is under $800 US for 5 years. Very simple process, no survey required, no need to be there. What's not to like?
===============

Hi , my boat is in the Philippines and its currently registered in HK. I like to register it elsewhere as it is quite costly to maintain a HK registry.

Can you point me to the right direction on who can help me register the boat in Langkawi?

Thank you
rons1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 02:16   #29

Boat: Island Packet 29

Everything you need is within 500 meters of the Royal Langkawi Yacht club. Just sai your boat there. Go to the bar, ask a few people, and you'll be done i a couple of days. No agent needed.

AJ

https://youtu.be/7pHBBxmTcc8
Amani Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 02:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani Jnana View Post
Everything you need is within 500 meters of the Royal Langkawi Yacht club. Just sai your boat there. Go to the bar, ask a few people, and you'll be done i a couple of days. No agent needed.

AJ

https://youtu.be/7pHBBxmTcc8
==============
Hi, thank you....But im thinking if there is a way that my boat is in manila while i have it registered in Langkawi. I dont want to sail my boat there.

Thanks
rons1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat