Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 09:49   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: i need to replace my.... thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
with the other thread, i have fallen in love with the idea of the wind rudder.
i mean, if my steering gear stops working for whatever reason, i can keep going under full sail power for the rest of the voyage.
yes, it would be awesome to ditch, and put a hard dodger over the cockpit.
i am tempted, but i do not have the money, after buying her for cash, to have a new main sail made.
i have many ideas what to do with that area...
10,000 Watt Wind Turbine
Fair enuf, but I would still compare the measurements - could be that no difference in boom and mainsail!, or could be little enough difference to mean that the new boom can come in due course, and the new mainsail a while later.......would save the expense of a new bar, raise some cash from sale of the mizzen!...and lop a foot or 2 off the marina bills! (unless the Marina not twigged she is longer than a standard 45).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:52   #32
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Fair enuf, but I would still compare the measurements - could be that no difference in boom and mainsail!, or could be little enough difference to mean that the new boom can come in due course, and the new mainsail a while later.......would save the expense of a new bar, raise some cash from sale of the mizzen!...and lop a foot or 2 off the marina bills! (unless the Marina not twigged she is longer than a standard 45).
i guess i could sell the mizzen as a mainmast.... no idea what the value would be.
and the marina never measured me. neither did 79th street. i never even have. next time i do an overnight dock, i will tell them tayana 42'
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:37   #33

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Wow. You have a schooner, not a ketch. That's a main and a foremast, not a main and a mizzen, and that changes everything. Many of the points made in your previous thread 'why do i have a mizzen' (many of which were made by me) are not valid. With such a large sail area aft you will very likely experience excessive weather helm. Schooners are beautiful rigs but not nearly as versatile or forgiving as a ketch. You really have to keep an eye on the wind otherwise you can be over-powered quickly when it picks up.

Regarding the option of taking out the main mast, it will depend largely on the structural support of your foremast and whether it can be moved aft (and replaced with a larger mast, larger boom, larger sails etc.). The sister ship in the picture has a rig that's about as different from yours as possible regarding mast placement; their single mainmast is set quite far aft (as is the norm for a cutter) whereas your foremast is quite far forward (though still further aft than you would typically see on a schooner). There may be some versatility with the stepping but it sounds like a lot of work to me! Probably easier to get a new boat if you can't live with the current sailplan.......... Is it deck-stepped or keel-stepped?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:40   #34

Oh, there are 2 tayana 55s here in Bermuda. They are both set up as cutters. I've sailed one of them and it handles beautifully. Not sure what the architectural differences between the 55 and the 45 are, but if the 55 is just a bigger version of the 45 then that says something.....
Old 28-06-2013, 10:43   #35

A very LONG boomkin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schooner2.png
Views:	184
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	63289  
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
thats it!!! i could add more sails!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas...son_%28ship%29

Really cool historic ship (didn't sail very well though apparently......). After 4 masts (fore, main, mizzen, jigger) the naming gets a little hazy. Apparently they named the masts on this ship after the days of the week!
Old 28-06-2013, 10:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
A very LONG boomkin!
Like our local racing boats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elizabeth.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	63290  
Old 28-06-2013, 10:54   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
The sister ship in the picture has a rig that's about as different from yours as possible regarding mast placement; their single mainmast is set quite far aft (as is the norm for a cutter) whereas your foremast is quite far forward (though still further aft than you would typically see on a schooner).
I will defer to those with better eyesight than me!, but I really can't see much (if any?) difference between placement of the Mainmast on the sistership and the "Foremast" on OP's boat.......the mast heights also seem the same (I was measuring both height and mast location using proportions against the hull) plus the angle of the forestay seems the same (75? degrees). But as I said, eyesight not 100% - nonetheless I will stick by my suggestion for OP to check how the actual measurements compare, but I do agree that if the Foremast is different / in the wrong place then likely better off going for a new boat than moving it.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:03   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

How would yer fancy racing this across the Atlantic - singlehanded, in 1976 (none of that namby pamby GPS nonsense back then!).

The 236' Club Med.

Shame their was no Internet back then........."Dear CF I have this idea..........."
Old 28-06-2013, 11:11   #40

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If the aft mast is longer then you've got a schooner with a boomkin according to the photo. The boomkin needs to be sturdy and the aft mast is your mainmast. I wonder who did the rig design and whether or not they just added the aftermast?

Strange rig.

kind regards,
Old 28-06-2013, 11:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I will defer to those with better eyesight than me!, but I really can't see much (if any?) difference between placement of the Mainmast on the sistership and the "Foremast" on OP's boat.......the mast heights also seem the same (I was measuring both height and mast location using proportions against the hull) plus the angle of the forestay seems the same (75? degrees). But as I said, eyesight not 100% - nonetheless I will stick by my suggestion for OP to check how the actual measurements compare, but I do agree that if the Foremast is different / in the wrong place then likely better off going for a new boat than moving it.

Hmmm, looking at it again i think you might be right! I was just estimating the position of the mast as a proportion of the LOA and i think the pushpit deceived me! In that case making it into a sloop would only require lengthening the boom and getting your hands on a mainsail with a longer foot length......

Where are you planning on sailing the boat? If in the trade winds it's probably better as a schooner, otherwise your 'why do i have a mizzen' (or a main!) thread makes a lot more sense than i'd previously thought!
Old 28-06-2013, 11:15   #42

[QUOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1272610]How would yer fancy racing this across the Atlantic - singlehanded, in 1976 (none of that namby pamby GPS nonsense back then!).QUOTE]

Sinlge-handed?! I kind of feel small and wimpy at the moment! There i was thinking that 36-feet is too much for me on my own!
Old 28-06-2013, 11:16   #43

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Your forward boom looks shorter than the sistership's. Yours looks like it would just about reach the lower spreaders if it were lifted up and the other would easily go higher than them. Also, your boom just barely clears the windshield and the other goes way beyond that.
Old 28-06-2013, 12:04   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If the aft mast is longer then you've got a schooner with a boomkin according to the photo. The boomkin needs to be sturdy and the aft mast is your mainmast. I wonder who did the rig design and whether or not they just added the aftermast?

Strange rig.

kind regards,
the booms say Annapolis md masts, or some such thing.

http://www.annapolisrigging.com/Home_Page.html
Old 28-06-2013, 12:11   #45
cruiser

so if i had a schooner, would that mean both sails contribute to speed?