Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2016, 09:12   #31

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Re: I need to add 13" to live aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Maybe append that to neatly trimmed beard. The point being if you look like you will scare off other customers, they will be less likely to look the other way.
I'd prefer that! The beard has doubled my dating success!

I tend to be the guy who attracts people. Who then spill their guts to me as though I'm their bartender. Standing in line, tends to attract phone numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
+1 that question... no one actually measured my boat, I pay for a 36' slip with my HR 35' boat that measures 35.5' anchor roller to pushpit

If you really need to add length, how about:
- a steering windvane
- pushpit mounted propane grill
- aft mounted solar panels
- aft mounted dinghy davits
Ah! Now were thinking!! I already have a grill. It's hanging off the side though. With the pull pit / Anchor on the front, AND the grill mounted right on the back? I might be an inch or two over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This must be Marina Del Rey. Double-back tap down a piece of Home Depot wood to the deck protruding 13" off the bow. If they measure...fine. Later remove it...you'll be old news.
No, but I don't want to say either. It's not Almar though. I'm currently in one of their marinas. I like them, as much as any non LA marina, but they don't have an electronic payment method! What is this 1990??

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37   #32

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

You could be patriotic and add a flag staff, angled aft, to the stern pulpit. That plus your existing bow pulpit might do it. JMHO

Old 01-04-2016, 09:51   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Look around the yard for an abandoned spinaker or genaker pole, cut off the length you need and stick it on the foredeck with 3M3200. Let it stick out the foot or so that you need. Had a buddy did exactly this and got away with it.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Look around the yard for an abandoned spinaker or genaker pole, cut off the length you need and stick it on the foredeck with 3M3200. Let it stick out the foot or so that you need. Had a buddy did exactly this and got away with it.
Stop reading my mind!! lol

I have a short Gennaker pole that I could replace with something a little nicer later, but no Spinnaker pole at all.

I'll keep that one in mind, just in case.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:12   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

a) Just tell them it's a 35.
b) measure, many boats are longer with the pulpit overhang, anchor in the roller etc.
c) It's usually the opposite problem, a place wants to charge you for actual length, which is often longer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17   #36

Boat: Dufour 40

If you would like us to club together, I can offer 7 cms.
My dufour 40 is 12.06 Meters long and with most European marinas that puts me paying the same as a boat 14.99 meters long. Costs me up to 5 a night extra.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25   #37

Boat: Cal T2 27', Renken 18, Macgregor Venture Cat 15

Bow extension is the classy way to go, 13" is a standard length of a Unicorn Horn, I have several to sell as I'm over my limit, the good thing is they are magically self adhering.

I also have some Mermaid Bosums but none that will get you out to your desired length, and those babies aren't cheap.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRox View Post
Bow extension is the classy way to go, 13" is a standard length of a Unicorn Horn, I have several to sell as I'm over my limit, the good thing is they are magically self adhering.

I also have some Mermaid Bosums but none that will get you out to your desired length, and those babies aren't cheap.

I am thinking the Genny pole is the answer. If I personally measure a little short, I'll add that over a swim platform, or the dreaded Dinghy davits!

Plus, I have a lot of HUGE Genoas. I think I have 2- 130 and 3- 150's?? It'd be nice to fly those outside the pull pit. I would think??

What the heck are Mermaid Bosums? Is that the decorative head on the bow? LOL
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
Yep, I found a marina that allows live aboard. However only if your boat is 35 feet long or more.

My 1977 Peterson 34, is actually 33.92 feet long. So 33 foot 11 inches roughly.

So, I could add a bowsprit, but do I need a bowsprit? I'm not sure, because I've never sailed the boat yet. After I get her re-rigged I might decide that's a good idea but,..??

Another option was a Swim Platform. Which I have a pretty good idea of how I could pull that off. But I hadn't planned on 13 or more inches.

Lastly would be some long dinghy davits. I do have a 12 foot Newport that I believe weighs in at 265lbs?

The thing is,.. I'm trying to do this on the cheaper end. I want to move out to my boat after 2 years trying, but needed to find a legal slip.

So for two years, I've pored money into a Stove, Exhaust, Natures head, Garmin GPS, the dinghy and outboard. Then nearly $10K on slip fees and traveling back and forth to Colorado where I work.

Now I need to make the boat beautiful for an inspection at the live aboard marina, AND add 13 inches to live on her.

I sure do love her though!!
Have you spoken to the Dock Master? I would almost guess if she is a proper vessel and you pay the extra rate for a foot, He might turn a blind eye?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:54   #40

Boat: Catalina 30

I'd be wary of making a large permanent modification. There may come a day that you'll wish that 13" didn't exist anymore...
Old 01-04-2016, 10:58   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Yep, I found a marina that allows live aboard. However only if your boat is 35 feet long or more.

My 1977 Peterson 34, is actually 33.92 feet long. So 33 foot 11 inches roughly.
At my marina, you pay for the LOA OR the length of dock, whichever is MORE. Maybe you could discuss with the marina people...it may just be a case of paying for 35'. Are they really out there with a tape measure? Just tell them its 35'.

I had a C&C27mk4. I told the marina it was a 27, and paid for 27'. If they had measured (or even looked it up) they would have known it was actually 28'.

Before you go making changes to beat the rules, I suggest you find out the rules you are trying to beat.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Have you spoken to the Dock Master? I would almost guess if she is a proper vessel and you pay the extra rate for a foot, He might turn a blind eye?
There's no doubt she needs a few more things before I sail her. As I said earlier, she has some crazed Gelcoat and thin deck paint. A few spots where a dropped winch handle, or some other impact chipped open the area around the rail, or in the cockpit.

I think I can do most of that work in a few days, rotating to different areas as filler is hardening. I'm planning to remove a lot of the deck hardware. Just because it's SO out of date, and fill the old holes. The new stuff, like new clutches aren't very expensive either.

Only one area I've found has deck rot. It's a mid ship, port side Stanchion base that's been leaking from over-flex. That will be the worst fix. I'll have to open it up and dig out the old Balsa, then repair the hole.

The rigging is 22 years old, but looks fine! (I know better, and am planning a re-rig ASAP).
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08   #43

Had a friend who always gave the marina his waterline length, must have saved thousands over the years.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
There's no doubt she needs a few more things before I sail her. As I said earlier, she has some crazed Gelcoat and thin deck paint. A few spots where a dropped winch handle, or some other impact chipped open the area around the rail, or in the cockpit.

I think I can do most of that work in a few days, rotating to different areas as filler is hardening. I'm planning to remove a lot of the deck hardware. Just because it's SO out of date, and fill the old holes. The new stuff, like new clutches aren't very expensive either.

Only one area I've found has deck rot. It's a mid ship, port side Stanchion base that's been leaking from over-flex. That will be the worst fix. I'll have to open it up and dig out the old Balsa, then repair the hole.

The rigging is 22 years old, but looks fine! (I know better, and am planning a re-rig ASAP).
I think you may have a different question other than 13" and live aboard. Allowing maintenance at the dock? Best of luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think you may have a different question other than 13" and live aboard. Allowing maintenance at the dock? Best of luck.
I don't plan to do any of that at the dock. I'll most likely do it on the hook, or at the current Marina, before the new marina ever sees it!

That was my point, she will need to look far better when inspected. The rigging although ancient, it looks okay from 5+ feet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: