Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2008, 07:22   #1

Boat: Looking.....
I Need Hunter Owners!

Hey
I am seriously considering buying a 1980 Hunter 36. I read that they on produced this style till 82. I was wondering if any Hunter owners could give me some insight on this boat. She has been well taken care of...One of my concerns is the deck stepped mast. will this have an major effect on blue water cruising? I guess i should provide a bit more info on what I'm looking for. My wife and I are finishing up whats left of school (well she is first we have to take turns because we both can't afford to go at the same time). In the mean time we want to live aboard, so that we can gain experience and get familiar with the boat. After school and saving some money we will want to do some serious coastal cruising and possibly trips to Hawaii and further!! So the majority of our sailing will be the pacific. I am really curious to see just how people view this boat and what it's limits are. We will be staying in Northern California. Thanks for any info!!! looking to buy soon!
Travis
cloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:40   #2

Why don't you try http://hunterowners.com? You'll just start the usual Hunter banter if you ask here.
Forgot to add, we had a 1980 Hunter 37. I think it's pretty much the same but, just a foot longer. Fine boat, great liveaboard if it's enough room for the two of you.
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:49   #3

what about cruising capabilities?
Old 18-08-2008, 09:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
One of my concerns is the deck stepped mast. will this have an major effect on blue water cruising?

Deck stepped is not a serious issue related to cruising.

Hunters in general are not built to blue water standards even if you ask the company. They are made for coastal cruising and they seem to do that well enough and are a popular boat for that purpose. In terms of suitability to purpose they never claim to be more than coastal cruising boats and being 28 years old would not improve that ability.

You still may find them to be a nice liveaboard and coastal boat. Being a 1980 boat may require additional upgrades and improvements. A purchase survey should identify the critical issues.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 09:58   #5

I see.....in lieu of that being true (that its not really a blue water boat) has anyone ever taken it out blue water cruising.... if so how did you equip it? Just curious if its possible. I am trying to find a decent coastal/blue water cruiser around 25k....I know....I know..but that is my budget, for the first few years we will be docked if that helps, due to school, and work.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:09   #6

Also while we are on the subject of coastal cruising....do you think that a decent 1980 hunter 36 could do South America? Im just curious the extent of "coastal cruising" that is feasible....inregards to an older hunter.
Thanks
Travis
Old 18-08-2008, 10:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Coastal Cruising is about making hops down the coast where you pick the weather window. The window does not need to be more than a day or two at a time. It means the accuracy is much more reliable and you have a far lower risk of severe conditions.

In those conditions you could travel a long way in almost any boat, but with a 1980 boat you need to give a complete survey to find the problems that need to be fixed. A 28 year old boat will have some issues. The ability to handle severe weather in a heavily loaded boat requires a more substantial boat in good shape even with a well experienced crew. Cruising is a lot about hauling tons of stuff.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:06   #8

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
"After school and saving some money we will want to do some serious coastal cruising and possibly trips to Hawaii and further!! So the majority of our sailing will be the pacific."

I would not rec this boat for any trans pacific crossing. Now if you want to hop down the coast and go to Catalina or Baja it's fine.
Old 18-08-2008, 11:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
I am trying to find a decent coastal/blue water cruiser around 25k
coastal/blue water cruiser is an oxymoron.

If you want a bluewater boat for 25k, it will have to be relatively small for a liveaboard. 28-32 feet, and not a fat tub.

This is not written in stone, just my opinion.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:41   #10

Thanks for the info....By the way what I meant to say was a boat that had no problem doing blue water if I wanted to....but also I would be doing primarily coastal for a while.
I am okay for a 32 ft boat....possibly even a 30 as long as its layed out correctly.(by this i mean u shapish dinette, galley with stove any recommendations?
Travis
Old 18-08-2008, 13:04   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Go to www.hunterowners.com

And all your questions and more will be answered by the thousands of folks who own Hunters. I had a Hunter 33, 1980 model, survived Katrina in one piece with the deck stepped mast still up, when most boats around me didn't. Still, I wouldn't have taken it across the pacific or atlantic...the older hunters are usually thought to be more substantially built than the ones from about 1983-1990. But they all have the common problems of boats built to price and market..., valves instead of seacocks, small guage rigging for ocean use, overcanvassed for ocean use, but great for coastal or lake use, capsize ratio not as favorable as a true ocean boat...etc. That being said, many folks have sailed across lots of blue water in Hunters...I think the older 37 is a fine boat, not familiar with the 36, but I don't think many of them were built, for some reason..
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:25   #12

Jlogan: Thanks so much for you Hunter input....I have been wanting to hear from someone who has a bit of hunter experience. Trying to see the reality behind it.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:52   #13

The Cherebuni generation (1974-1982) of Hunters were some of the best the company ever produced. I looked hard at a 36 before buying my 30. As with any boat that old a good survey and refit will do it well. I wouldn't hesitate a Bermuda (east coast guy) crossing in that generation Hunter.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 19:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
cloudman - I think Paul nailed the answer in post 4 - They are not specifically designed for ocean passages.

Can they be prepped and outfitted for a passage and can they succeed - Yes. But with the right weather you can go in just about anything.

I have been on Hunters and I have been on full keel "bluewater" boats. They are different. You can feel it in the solidness, the weight, the size, form and function of the rigging, the interior layouts and so much more.

Seeing as you have the Hunter bug (I like the boats very much BTW) - Push forward and get one - It's a ways off before you are doing any Pacific crossings and if you later decide to trade the boat, I doubt you will lose much if anything as long as you keep up with maintenance.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 19:34   #15

THank you guys so much for your input and info! you truly have helped me with some BIG issues.

Tags
hunter