Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 20:03   #1

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I Must Have a Hole in My Head . . .

Just dropped 2500 bucks on a 1972 Tanzer 28..(as mentioned in my meet and greet thread.) Well, we did it..it's going to take alot of work to make her seaworthy and comfortable, but the hull is sound, and the standing rig is solid. Running rigging is junk, but that's not too big a deal..I'm not looking forward to hauling her..she's got sea critters pretty bad. I have a soft spot for her already, though, she is of my birth year, and like me she is a little broken, but still fighting. We will re-christen her "Her Idea." I knew i'd have fun with her when I was sitting in the cockpit the other night staring at the gaping hole in the sole where some moron put in a steering gear..I leaned over on the original tiller and it broke under me...I gotta go rent Captain Ron, and Watch it with Captain Morgan..for perspective, you see.

ah well, I have some gorgeous eastern red cedar and a bunch of curly maple kicking around here..she will get a new tiller as soon as I can get in the shop, and right after I fill and fair all the fiberglass butt holes the PO put in her transom.

the Admiral and I spent the evening on her tonight, mostly to start cleaning the junk out of her, and get the (shot) sails off (gonna need some gently used sails for her..) Naturally the Admiral kicked back in the Flag cabin reading the Pardey's cruising book, whilst I puttered..errr...worked hard on the boat..yeah..that's it.

After the day I have had, sitting on the foredeck hatch watching the sun go down and the resident mallards paddle, was just about all the peace I need.

It looks like i will be spending some time in the PO thread..

BUT I HAVE A BOAT!
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 20:21   #2

Ahhh.... We used to own a Tanzer 28 and truly enjoyed her! We sailed from Connecticut to Miami on her - found her fast but a tad tender. Below decks she was comfy and had all that you needed.

Congratulations on your new boat (you sound SO happy!) What's her name? Post some pics if you can.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:22   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
Just dropped 2500 bucks on a 1972 Tanzer 28..(as mentioned in my meet and greet thread.) Well, we did it..it's going to take alot of work to make her seaworthy and comfortable, but the hull is sound, and the standing rig is solid. Running rigging is junk, but that's not too big a deal..I'm not looking forward to hauling her..she's got sea critters pretty bad. I have a soft spot for her already, though, she is of my birth year, and like me she is a little broken, but still fighting. We will re-christen her "Her Idea." I knew i'd have fun with her when I was sitting in the cockpit the other night staring at the gaping hole in the sole where some moron put in a steering gear..I leaned over on the original tiller and it broke under me...I gotta go rent Captain Ron, and Watch it with Captain Morgan..for perspective, you see.

ah well, I have some gorgeous eastern red cedar and a bunch of curly maple kicking around here..she will get a new tiller as soon as I can get in the shop, and right after I fill and fair all the fiberglass butt holes the PO put in her transom.

the Admiral and I spent the evening on her tonight, mostly to start cleaning the junk out of her, and get the (shot) sails off (gonna need some gently used sails for her..) Naturally the Admiral kicked back in the Flag cabin reading the Pardey's cruising book, whilst I puttered..errr...worked hard on the boat..yeah..that's it.

After the day I have had, sitting on the foredeck hatch watching the sun go down and the resident mallards paddle, was just about all the peace I need.

It looks like i will be spending some time in the PO thread..

BUT I HAVE A BOAT!
Congratulations!!

You will soon have a hole in your wallet to go with the one in your head.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:25   #4

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Congrats... Sounds like you have more than a boat, you got a long new honeydo list...

When you are filling holes and cracks, leave the one in your head alone. It is the one that lets you take off on crazy fun adventures.
Old 18-08-2010, 21:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
The hole in the head ...

is where the joy comes out. I keep my boat fit and she keeps me fit. It's working well so far. Words I live by: there will always be more on the todo list, sometimes you have to hoist the sails and go.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 21:26   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Nothing better then putting on boats....congrats!

That tiller project sounds fun...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 23:01   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey congratulations!!!!!!!

"in the Flag cabin reading the Pardey's cruising book"
Remember they sailed the world in a far smaller boat, so your Flag Cabin is spot on for their first boat! May you both have as much fun as they did

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 23:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
is where the joy comes out. I keep my boat fit and she keeps me fit. It's working well so far. Words I live by: there will always be more on the todo list, sometimes you have to hoist the sails and go.
amen. it's funny how small the "big project" is when you're actually sailing.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 02:34   #9

Boat: seawind II Patience
Congrats. and welcome.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 03:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I only wish a refit was as easy as the one on captain Ron.

I suggest you DON'T drop lines and fix it "out there - LOL.

Good luck...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 04:44   #11

Yeah, I am pretty happy about it..there isn't much for me to be really happy about right now, so the boat is sort of the calm before the storm..I learned how to sail on a Hobie 18 years ago, and have never really sailed a boat this size (USS constitution doesn't count..) so figuring out the rig and getting her moving will be interesting.

I am tickled that she has no inboard..I'm sure I will need to ballast her aft a bit, she has alot of bouyancy in the stern..I bet that will be interesting in a following sea..especially wing and wing with some top hamper...we shall see...

Oh..she has a good Origo stove..tickled about that..not pressurized, and no LPG..not fond of gas bottles on boats for some reason..

What is going to suck will be getting the barnacles off...sea herpes..I picked a live oyster off her boot top the other day and ate it..grossed the PO out...

Does anyone happen to know where I could get a rig plan for her? I contacted Tanzer boat parts but they just lost one of the partners to cancer and are abit out of joint for the forseeable future...going to be hunting for a used main as well..the one I have is toast..

Thanks for the kind thought, guys!
Old 19-08-2010, 05:01   #12

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Sailrite offers sails or sail kits for just about any boat in existence including the tanzer 28. They also have dimensions of the sails:

TANZER 28 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 05:09   #13

Boat: O'Day 28
Two Captains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
I gotta go rent Captain Ron, and Watch it with Captain Morgan..for perspective, you see.
A lot of issues could be put in perspective with this approach. Good Luck!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 05:18   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
CONGRADULATIONS, and welcome to the addiction. It's odd how an inanimate thing can come so close in our hearts. BEST WISHES in her serving you & yours well.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
Sailrite offers sails or sail kits for just about any boat in existence including the tanzer 28. They also have dimensions of the sails:

TANZER 28 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System
Thanks! That is what I needed! I may hunt for a used main until I figure out what I want to do (Read:have the money...) I've got a serviceable roller furling jib, although I need to pulll it down and have it cleaned and repaired..

I think tonight we will attack the boat with a couple bottles of simple green or somesuch, and a couple of large garbage bags..there is alot of crap stashed back in the corners...